• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Brake!!

OldJeff

Reaction score
Visit site
Got to test the stopping power of the NCX yesterday. I was following a old Datsun truck and a fool ran a stop sign to get in front of the truck and cut off both of us. So we braked hard, then got back up to speed going about 50 mph or so, then the fool locks up his brakes in front of the truck to make a left hand turn. I hear the truck in front of me and the car behind me lock up all four wheels. The NCX also has both wheels locked up and skidding straight and true, I was worried about the car behind me hitting me so I kind of angled the bike to the right side of the truck so I wouldn't get squished between the two cages.

Ended up about two foot from the rear of the truck right at the edge of the road. The car behind me was two foot off my tail and he had angled towards the center of the road, so he would have missed me if he didn't stop in time. I turned and looked at him and I could tell he was glad he didn't hit me, we shared a quick smile then got going again as the fool finally made his left hand turn.

All of that took about 3 seconds, the NCX handled awesome and even in a full skid, the bike was responsive and went exactly where I wanted her to. I'm impressed with this bike!

I'm glad that you are ok, you were very lucky this time but next time…..

Try a motorcycle with ABS, it might save your life.

Got to test the stopping power of the NCX yesterday.... going about 50 mph or so ... I hear the truck in front of me and the car behind me lock up all four wheels. The NCX also has both wheels locked up....
Glad that "Old" Jeff will be getting older and all in one piece ta boot.

Don't know what was behind you but since the truck in front was an old Datsun I'd expect it to have drum brakes (notoriously poor stoppers esp. on a truck). Since the bike has disks (people have complained about their effectiveness on this forum but still disks) it should be able to stop better than the truck. The fact it didn't go squirrelly on you & you were able to maintain control is a huge bonus and speaks to both the ability of the rider and the ability of the bike.

Thanks for the good wishes guys! My NCX does not have ABS and honestly, I prefer it that way. I want to be able to choose which set of brakes are applied.

Cages are going to be idiots, we all know that and should always be prepared to avoid them. My post wasn't really about the incident itself, but more about the bike's outstanding performance under pressure. My old Sabre would have been sideways in the lane and that had happened several times in the past. this was my first serious incident on the NCX and it came thru for me perfectly.

Same rider, same skills, two different bikes, the NCX performed 10x better than my old Sabre under similar circumstances. I like this bike! :D

Thanks for the good wishes guys! My NCX does not have ABS and honestly, I prefer it that way. I want to be able to choose which set of brakes are applied.

+1 my vrf had linked brakes. PITA to de-link them, but was totally worth it. (vfr didn't have abs)

A little more following distance would also have helped, and would have been prudent and useful in preventing the second part since the fool's dangerous driving habits were already a known factor at that point.

I was going down a country road this afternoon. The local LEO had a car pulled over ahead. As I approached, the driver pulled straight out onto the road. No turn signal or look to see if anyone was coming. Fortunately, the agile NC danced around the car, blowing past the driver's door by 2'.

A little more following distance would also have helped, and would have been prudent and useful in preventing the second part since the fool's dangerous driving habits were already a known factor at that point.

Agreed and if there had been a bit more time between the fool running the stop sign and then slamming on his brakes, there would have been more following distance for the others drivers involved. Again the focus of the post was the bike's performance, not the incident itself or the mistakes made.

When you gotta go, you gotta go. (no matter ABS or most expensive helmet or bright yellow jacket)
Good to hear you are sticking around for some time.
:D
God bless.

Glad you made it out ok. You remained calm (at least it seemed like it) and reacted well in that situation. Make sure you maintain good following distance between you and the car in front of you. It might not have been that close of a call if you have more room to react.

Back