• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Brakes braking after braking?

CagerOnTwoWheels

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Here's the deal.
Whenever I brake with the front brake, I can hear the brakes being applied (these pads have a very specific bee buzzing sound).
Thing is, when I let go of the brake... I can STILL hear it buzzing, for some time.

Is this normal? I just inspected my brakes and they are about 80% gone in 11'000 Kms (6'835.2699931647300068352699931647 miles, approximately, of course).
Rear brakes have lasted some 23'000kms (gonna be replaced at the second service, as will the transmission kit).

One of the plungers could be sticking and not allowing the brake pad to get completely off the disc. Remove the caliber from the bike, remove the pads and clean the plungers.

Cager, first off, love your Youtube channel. I subscribed a while ago. Second, I've noticed front brake noise as well. Can't say that I've noticed it after release of the lever, but certainly during application. From your description, maybe it is about time for new pads. The pads on this bike are very easy compared to other bikes. It is literally one small bolt to change the pads. If you have an 8mm wrench, you can do it!

I’m bringing back this old thread because I have this same issue. I changed my front brakes pads at 20,000 miles. The thing is two weeks prior to replacing my pads, I flushed the brake fluid and the brakes felt awesome! After changing, brakes felt horrible and have this buzzing noise which I’ve not experienced before like some of the people here. What can I do to get rid of it and to make the brakes more grippier? So far I put 200 miles. Oh and the brake pads were after market, not sure which brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After changing, brakes felt horrible and have this buzzing noise ...

Horrible conveys no useful information. Is the brake lever feel mushy or hard? Is the rotor smooth or ridged? (If you run a fingernail over the braking surface does it get hung up on anything?) Different brake pads can have different coefficients of friction. Figure out what the coefficients of friction is of the pads you put in. Front pads should be HH.

Buzzing sound is probably the holes in the rotor passing over the edge of the pads.

How about this, the useful level of your response is pretty horrible?!?!

No really, already checked all of that and apologize if I wasn’t clear as to exactly what I did and couldn’t go in to exact detail as to the degradation of the braking performance. Doesn’t sound like you’ve had this happen and was looking for people who had had similar experience and how they resolved it.

Horrible conveys no useful information. Is the brake lever feel mushy or hard? Is the rotor smooth or ridged? (If you run a fingernail over the braking surface does it get hung up on anything?) Different brake pads can have different coefficients of friction. Figure out what the coefficients of friction is of the pads you put in. Front pads should be HH.

Buzzing sound is probably the holes in the rotor passing over the edge of the pads.

Looks like I’ve answered my own question. Should have googled it. The noise is from vibration of back of brake pad against the caliper. Anti squeal or brake lubricant should resolve it. Will report back.

Doesn’t sound like you’ve had this happen...

No, no I haven't. Probably because I've been working on motorcycles for almost 50 years, including years as a full time working MC mechanic, and preparing and road racing motorcycles for 5 years. I actually know what I'm doing. Good luck with your brake lube.

Back