• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Broken clutch lever

OldBoots

Reaction score
Visit site
So I dropped my bike for the first time today. the end of the clutch lever broke off but I was still able to ride. But I need to replace it. Are the folding clutch/brake levers worthwhile or should I just get a replacement for the lever part on the cheap?

Thanks!

I have an aftermarket clutch lever in order to be able to adjust the distance from the lever to the grip. However, the “folding” lever I once tried and returned was just too floppy and loose. There are too many joints in the folding levers. I don’t recomment them.

I used to like cheap Chinese levers once but have since changed my opinion. I’m now going with you only get what you pay for I’ve used ASV levers recently and can say they are much much better but they are £100 each.

I used to like cheap Chinese levers once but have since changed my opinion. I’m now going with you only get what you pay for I’ve used ASV levers recently and can say they are much much better but they are £100 each.
Thanks! I am looking at ASV's web site now. What do you like about then that makes them worth £100 a side?

I have an aftermarket clutch lever in order to be able to adjust the distance from the lever to the grip. However, the “folding” lever I once tried and returned was just too floppy and loose. There are too many joints in the folding levers. I don’t recomment them.
Just looking at the designs, I could see that if they were not floppy when you got some of them they probably would be eventually.

Thanks! I am looking at ASV's web site now. What do you like about then that makes them worth £100 a side?
They have a lot of adjustment are not loose or “sloppy” at all. They are sturdy but still light and ergonomically pleasing, fold in an accident, have a lifetime guarantee against damage. And finally I think they will last for ever. And no I don’t work for them.
BTW I ride a DCT with 2 brake levers front and back the back or left is a VFR 800 clutch reservoir and ASV lever.

On both of my last bikes, I've intentionally cut off the ends of both levers and fashioned ball ends using steel epoxy, then painted with Plasti-Dip. From my MTB days, I constantly ride with two fingers covering the levers, and operate the levers with just those two fingers.

I've been contemplating doing that with the NC...

Something you might consider, at least if you're not riding while waiting on a new lever.

I never realized how much difference that little ball on the end made until it wasn't there. I think I have ordered a replacement lever but I think I am going to fix the broken one like this and keep it for a spare.

On both of my last bikes, I've intentionally cut off the ends of both levers and fashioned ball ends using steel epoxy, then painted with Plasti-Dip. From my MTB days, I constantly ride with two fingers covering the levers, and operate the levers with just those two fingers.

I've been contemplating doing that with the NC...

Something you might consider, at least if you're not riding while waiting on a new lever.
How does that improve the levers in the NC?

I use adjustable levers for both clutch and brake. I use a Chinese lever off of eBay that was reccomended on this forum. Two other friends use the same one and are happy so far:

It can get a little play in it, but that is easily fixed wirh a socket and Allen key to tighten up the bolts.

For the brake, I put the adjustable 2014 OEM lever on my 2013 (which did not come with adjustable from the factory).

I received the ASV lever in the mail today and installed it after work. It was super simple to install. It is quite different feeling from the OEM. I have it adjusted almost all the way in at this point. I guess the miles of adjustment are there so it can adapt to various mounting brackets, not for practicality. It is very well built and it feels precisely fitted. I have only taken it for a trip up the block and back so I can't really judge what it will mean for normal use.

Back