• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Brp

DCTFAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone planning on riding the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) this fall?
Never been on 2wheels. Would be great to have some company.
All the way or partial doesn't matter.
Let's hear some thoughts, suggestions, where to stay etc.

Last edited:
I will probably ride it some next week. The first 100 miles from the southern end is the best.

When do you plan on going?

If you are camping, I recommend Willville campground in Meadows of Dan.

I did it a few years ago and wouldn't mind joining for part of the trip. The best part is south, so you may want to do N to S

I'm shooting for a fall colors ride- close to end of September or early October.
My back seat will probably be occupied.
So, minimal camping gear for a two day ride, N to S as you suggested.
Meadows of Dan would be a nice launch point.
I'll get details from you next week at war camp :)

I don't know about the best, but one of the most famous. It's nice that there are no stop signs, traffic lights etc, but the low speed limit can kind of be a bummer. I've done all but the best parts apparently and the skyline drive section as well. Peak color times are nice but expect heavy traffic as well.

I'm shooting for a fall colors ride- close to end of September or early October.
My back seat will probably be occupied.
So, minimal camping gear for a two day ride, N to S as you suggested.
Meadows of Dan would be a nice launch point.
I'll get details from you next week at war camp :)

With God's good graces, I'll be out west at that time. Next on my bucket list is the Red Wood Forest (with some Utah thrown in).

I'm hoping I can get out to do skyline drive, but I'm not sure yet. I will be trying to avoid the peak fall colors due to the traffic

Let us know when you plan to go. Might join up for a little of the ride. I can get to the northern part in a few hours.

Camping at Pisgah CG off of the BRP today. Got the last site without reserving. My girl loves it. Buttered her up with scenic dinner at the Inn. I think I may get a great present soon.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'd be interested in doing this. I would need enough notice to reserve my dog sitter, and i would welcome any advice on what camping gear is recommended, as I haven't done any camping in years. I'm originally from VA so it would be nice to see the BRP again.

How bad is the 'fall color' traffic?
Should I take my bicycle?

Only if your life insurance is paid up.

NO!!!! DO NOT RIDE A BICYCLE ON THE BRP DURING PEAK LEAF SEASON. The traffic is horrible from Boone south to Asheville. The people up there are idiots that time of year. They do not pay attention to what's on the road

[...The first 100 miles from the southern end is the best...670cc]

I agree completely but it also happens to be the most crowded, especially on weekends.

I almost always go mid week in September, when the leaves are still green. Crowds are light(er). Even campgrounds tell me it's a little slower time for them. Yet, the weather is usually great for motorcycling.

Well, I plan on doing a 2 night trip the weekend of Oct 14th up on the parkway. Will be camping at the Carolina Hemlock Campground that Friday and Saturday night. Plan on doing the BRP, Devils Whip, and the Diamondback

I live in East TN and have ridden it several times, S to N and N back S. I've never camped on it, stayed in motel, usually one night going up and two nights coming back. All the way to the N end of Skyline Drive. The Fall is a great time but make sure you bring some warm clothes as you can never tell about the weather. Usually pretty cool at the BRP elevation. And subject to even colder at night. It is a great ride in either direction. Not a speed run, but very enjoyable if you love curvy mountain roads and gorgeous scenery.

Let us know your starting date and maybe some of us in E. TN and NC can meet up and ride part way with you.

Back