• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

BSA Comeback.. Interesting...

Well yes and no. The BSA brand was acquired by an Indian tractor company with plans to re-introduce the brand sometime in 2019. To India. They will be BSA-Mahindra. The brand has a storied history!!

Well yes and no. The BSA brand was acquired by an Indian tractor company with plans to re-introduce the brand sometime in 2019. To India. They will be BSA-Mahindra. The brand has a storied history!!

Correct, except they have no intension of adding the "Mahindra" they will just be badged BSA... Kind of sad but cool? Hopefully they bring to market tasteful bikes...

I've often wondered about the logic of digging up a name from the past and bringing it to market. BSA died in the mid-70s so it's been 40+ years. Will anyone but an old fart even recognize the BSA name?

I've often wondered about the logic of digging up a name from the past and bringing it to market. BSA died in the mid-70s so it's been 40+ years. Will anyone but an old fart even recognize the BSA name?

You’re right. I’ve been riding for over 40 years and I would consider the BSA name an old fogie bike. Mahindra might even be better, since if you weren’t familiar with the name, it would possibly hint of being something new to some folks, not old 40 year old stuff. I even question Polaris’ logic in resurecting the Indian name. But maybe the bike looks as old as the name, so it fits.

Last edited:
Well Triumph have done ok and I can vouch for that having owned two of the Hinckley bikes and still have one.

Mahindra raced their 250 in Moto3 until this year. They struggled to compete with Honda and KTM but they gave it a good shot with some wins in grands prix last year from memory.

I saw one of their race machines up close and was very impressed with the quality at the time.

I asked a Honda friend in Japan about the Mahindra moto3 bike, wondering if they were using someone else's engine rebadged as "Mahindra" but he said it was their own engine.

Triumph has done a great job with their "comeback" although nothing was saved from the old works except the name. And it was less than 10 years between them closing their doors and John Bloor buying the rights to the name and building a new factory.

Last edited:
I asked a Honda friend in Japan about the Mahindra moto3 bike, wondering if they were someone else's engine rebadged as "Mahindra" but he said it was their own engine.

Triumph has done a great job with their "comeback" although nothing was saved from the old works except the name. And it was less than 10 years between them closing their doors and John Bloor buying the rights to the name and building a new factory.

And a large percentage of Triumph are now built here in Thailand. I believe Triumph will also be building small displacement bikes in India, in a few years time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When all is said and done I think people will look at the bike and the price more than the name.
Many will see a name they faintly remember.
But what they put on the street will make or break them.
And the cost will need to be reasonable to get people to try a totally new machine/company.
There are still enough baby boomers to remember the name.
Just like Royal Enfield.

Some thoughts .....

God bless!!

Michael

I found information in the November issue of AMA magazine. On page 44-45; it appears there is a display at AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame called The Birth of a Hurricane: How AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Craig Vetter reimaged the BSA for an American markert. I haven't been to the AMA Hall of Fame in 5-6 years so I don't know the specifics of the display.

[The Birth of a Hurricane: How AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Craig Vetter reimaged the BSA for an American markert.]

A prototype dream model of a BSA triple from decades ago is quite different than Vetter being involved with reviving BSA from the dead! By the way, the Hurricane was a beautiful model but BSA never did anything with the idea.

Back