• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Building NC700X suspension for sport/track riding?

TacomaJD

Reaction score
Visit site
I will probably only do 2 more trackdays this year, so I don't plan on building the suspension until early next year before trackdays start up again, but been trying to figure out the best route to take. I'm pretty set on just buying an Ohlins rear shock for their known performance and rebuild-ability, and also the fact that I can at least get half my money back out of it later on if I decide to sell the NC700X and put the oem shock back on.

The front forks is what I really am not sure on. Most people with NC's try to build suspension around soaking up bumps and offroading. I have been trying to read up on the differences in various ways to build the forks, but its difficult to determine which would be the best route geared toward sport/track riding only. I've read a little about the Gold Valves, Intiminators, and probably more options that I'm forgetting. Any advice from those in the know? Want it as close to sportbike suspension as I can get it, and with adjustability.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would look at Jamie Daugherty 's website
DMr Performance Suspension – Performance Motorcycle Suspension and Chassis
I have a fork kit of his plus a rear shock of his on my CBR 1100XX. All adjustable. If you don't see the NC700X on his site call him as he has more bikes than he lists. He can also work with you. I am very happy with him and his work. Some bikes you have to send him your forks. Others he sends you the parts with pretty adequate instructions with pics.

Now for my question... why take the NC to the track? Just for the fun of flinging it around???

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I would look at Jamie Daugherty 's website
DMr Performance Suspension – Performance Motorcycle Suspension and Chassis
I have a fork kit of his plus a rear shock of his on my CBR 1100XX. All adjustable. If you don't see the NC700X on his site call him as he has more bikes than he lists. He can also work with you. I am very happy with him and his work. Some bikes you have to send him your forks. Others he sends you the parts with pretty adequate instructions with pics.

Now for my question... why take the NC to the track? Just for the fun of flinging it around???

I read up quite a bit more on the Racetech Gold Valve Emulators, those might be the ticket, along with possibly different springs for my weight. The Emulators don't appear that expensive, but of course springs would add to that cost. I could build them myself going that route. I will look into Daugherty's stuff too, never heard of that company. Thanks!

As for taking the NC on the track, I used to do trackdays back in 2008-09, had a crash on street in 2010, lost left leg below knee, knee is trashed, and won't bend past 90°. I've been riding cruisers ever since then, until earlier this spring I discovered the NC with DCT and ability to install highway peg to accommodate my knee's lacking range of motion. I'm 6'1" with 34" inseam, so utilizing the oem peg on left side is virtually impossible.

Anyways, after seeing how well the NC handles and that the highway peg clearance at lean worked well, I done 2 track days over the past few months. It does good for what it is, but has significant room for improvement on the suspension.

078efae568e1c2ab8bf7f076ed532ee1.jpg

6df7282b8c3bdc3f13c114002e6610e1.jpg

7466f1dc5654860c8b4ed1e88e37e297.jpg

One thing I am on the fence about also, is trying to modify a standard shift bike with an electric shift solenoid and fabricating a highway peg on it. But it has to be something that is tall and have a similar rider position triangle to the NC. I was looking at the Yamaha Tracer 900 and the Ducati Hypermotard 939. I've always wanted a Hypermotard. Never sat on one, so I'd need to do that and take some measurements to see if I could make it work. Plus there's the money side, it would be buying my 3rd personal bike, then the cost to fabricate a highway peg and add an electric shifter setup. Those shifters alone can range from $1-3k+.

Duc sure is a bad machine. This one for sale not far from where I live for around $10k.

f2f9d7121cce9a8a803607922b72a525.jpg

Hey, good for you! That's awesome. Motard's are pricey and I have heard that they have reliability problems.
Those are some great lean angle pictures too. Let us know what Jamie can do. I know he has stuff for my CBR and ST 1300.

Hey, good for you! That's awesome. Motard's are pricey and I have heard that they have reliability problems.
Those are some great lean angle pictures too. Let us know what Jamie can do. I know he has stuff for my CBR and ST 1300.

I think the newer hypermotards aren't as problematic as the older generations. All Ducatis are problematic at some point lol. This would be a dedicated track bike, with occasional street hooning anyways, so not that big of a deal. Just craving performance. But not sure it is worth the hassle and cost right now.

you might look into Ranger Point Precision fork upgrade for the NC the Ranger Precision stuff too. It's more expensive but, for street use, I like the idea of extra suspension travel.

Around here I see more racers running Penske than Ohlins, but both are good.
I read about their stuff when that thread was started on here, lost me at "for better offroad performance" and "tested on motocross track" Lol

Back