• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Buy a new old stock 2014 DCT ABS now or wait for 2016?

supertux1

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I've been considering an NC700X DCT ABS as my first motorcycle. I've had my full license since passing MSF back in April, and I have all the gear for safe riding, just no bike.
I put the purchase off to pay down some debt over the summer and to research other bikes.

There's a dealer around here who has a 2014 in stock, and I'm tempted to purchase it right now as opposed to waiting until April for the new 2016 at MSRP.

What would be an acceptable price for a model that is now effectively two years old?

Due to the weather and snow here, I won't be able to ride it for more than a week or two if I buy it this week. And I'd have to insure it for many months extra.

Is there any appreciable difference between the 2014 and the 2016 that would justify waiting and paying more?

I know the 2016 has three S modes and maybe a better exhaust and windscreen, all of which I could do without if I could save thousands.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

As a point of reference for pricing, late summer 2015, the Russellville Arkansas dealer was selling 2014 DCT models for $6K. No freight/setup games. You pay sales tax and license/title in your home state. I thought that was a pretty reasonable deal, although there would probably be better deals now that we're off season in North America.

I would not place any value on the new, marginally taller 2016 windscreen. If anything it could be noisier since it will raise the wind blast from your chest level closer to your neck.

My advice, which is free, is to skip the new models altogether and go buy a used 2013. It's tires last longer and it's had no recalls. The 2014 has CheeseMax tires and the instrument panel needs to be replaced due to faulty firmware.

Dealers selling 2016s are likely to hold out for top dollar if demand is high.

Last edited:
What brand of tire are the cheap ones? The Metzeler?

This is all good information to know in case I have to negotiate a price. Unfortunately there are no used 2013 DCT around here, not this time of year anyway.
(Another good reason to wait until spring.)

I'm thinking anywhere between $6,000 to $6,500 would be reasonable, if I have to put a couple hundred into tires then that's okay if I get a steal.
(I'd want to put an 80/20 tire on at some point anyway.)

I already know there's a starter relay recall, but any information about what else is not quite right with the bike (no disrespect to current owners of course) will be useful!

My 2014 came from the factory with Pirelli Scorpions...some people consider those premium tires.

Thanks for the correction. I was not aware of that. So of course, the trick is to check the tire brand/type before purchase.

I'll get a new model...
Forget tires... You can change it...
Suspension, gear, look are not changeable

FYI - My 2014 bike has had three recalls so far: The instrument pod, starter relay and frunk lock. I love my bike and would only get another bike if I could get a one-to-one trade, no sales tax and with the same farkles installed on a 2016 NCXD. Not gonna happen.

I went 6000 miles on my Dunlop. They we're not worn out, I never wait that long.
Traction was fine, I don't race.
2015 DCT.

We were just at or Honda dealer yesterday.

They have a 2014 leftover there now listed at $5299!!!!

Brand new is around $7500.

That is a huge savings.

If you wait for 2016 you will pay MSRP for the bike.

But, you will get any all upgrades.

I heard they increased the size of the frunk from 21 L to 22L.

I believe the new model gets a bigger front screen.

And the tail light is LED on the new model if I recall.

2016 Honda NC700X and CB500X FIRST LOOK Review, Photos | Cycle World: Nice updates for Honda?s friendly everyday adventure-tourers.

Plus, with each passing year they should get any and all bugs worked out of the system.

I have a 2013 and I have never been notified of any recalls on my model year.

If the 2014 had any recalls the one on the showroom should be fine because the dealer should have already addressed them.

So, think of the price difference ($5299 vs $7500) and think of the new changes and let that be your guide.

God bless!!

Michael

When I was buying my NC, new one's were priced at around 33.000 PLN (8250$ on current exchange) for the DCT model.
May this year, I bought my late 2013 (2014 in the documents - SDE version without combined ABS, bascially - the 2014 model) for 23.300 PLN (5825$).

That left me with some spare cash for farkles, so that's a thing to consider.
If the difference between 2016 and earlier models is anything like 750 and 700 difference, I think it's safe to say you can pick up the 2014 and spare a lot of buck, but to certainly answer that we would have to wait for 2016 model reviews which don't seem to be on the horizon for quite a while yet. I would go with the 2014 babe ;)
Hope this helps, as the decision is yours :)

Oh, one thing to add to what TigerDude wrote:
Think about what you'll do with the frunk. Some people store helmets there, while others use it as a trunk for other stuff - like wheel locks and chains, luggage net and bike cover, so my helmet actually doesn't go there. If you think you'll do the same, I'm not sure if you need the extra space. If you actually plan on leaving helmet there, check this post to see if your helmet fits or not, and if it's better to wait for bigger frunk :)

I think the biggest change for 2016 is the 3 mode in the DCT.

I have a 2014 DCT even tho i gotten used to the DCT and how i need to feather the twist at low speed. I am really hoping that somehow they have refine the operation of the DCT even more with the new DCT..

I might be worth the extra cash...

I think the biggest change for 2016 is the 3 mode in the DCT.

I have a 2014 DCT even tho i gotten used to the DCT and how i need to feather the twist at low speed. I am really hoping that somehow they have refine the operation of the DCT even more with the new DCT..

I might be worth the extra cash...

The three mode DCT is primarily what interests me the most over the current and later year models.

Everything else that's new can be done with an aftermarket part. Does it look like all the signal lighting on the bike is LED?
(I wear a medium Shoei Neotec so no frunk problems there. I am buying my gear first, really cheap off eBay and holiday sales. It's winter here.)

The DCT on the Africa Twin and the VFR1200X will supposedly have the same modes and what they've done there might be a clue as to how the new 3 mode DCT on the NC700X will operate. It is within my means to get either one of those as well, but I really like the frunk and large accessory market for the NC700X. It's too bad Honda will never be progressive enough to allow us to hook a smart phone up via bluetooth and set our own preferences for how the modes operate. (That's a free clue to help boost sales in the USA.)

I've always been curious as to how the DCT handles at low speeds, creeping along with standstill traffic, MSF box turns and such.

So you don't have a friction zone and traditional clutch.

Is it possible to remove power from the rear-wheel by hitting that N button?
For example, when you might just want to coast over some nasty surface in neutral without the traction demands of engine braking /power?

Could you drag a little rear brake to eliminate the need to feather the throttle for slow speed maneuvers?

I've always been curious as to how the DCT handles at low speeds, creeping along with standstill traffic, MSF box turns and such.

So you don't have a friction zone and traditional clutch.

Is it possible to remove power from the rear-wheel by hitting that N button?
For example, when you might just want to coast over some nasty surface in neutral without the traction demands of engine braking /power?

Could you drag a little rear brake to eliminate the need to feather the throttle for slow speed maneuvers?

This should give you some answers about the DCT low speed capabilities: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-videos/10132-video-slow-speed-maneuvers-dct-2.html

Ain't this forum great? All your questions answered . . .

There are some excellent deals on left over 2014s. For example, check in the Track n Trail in PA. The savings seems significant enough.

Back