• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Buy now or wait till March? UK

Banjoblue

Reaction score
Visit site
Just before Xmas I walked into my local dealer to find a new unregistered NC750X, in the blue that I wanted, that turned out to be a cancelled order. After a little thought I put £100 deposit on it with an agreement to sort out the deal in the new year. So now I’m thinking that I could wait 7 weeks for the new 2022 registration in March. (I have another bike). The dealer isn’t keen on that. I’ve said that I’m happy to buy it before March just delay the registration. He’s not keen on doing that. I can cancel and reorder but there’s currently no guarantee on when another one will arrive. They are saying 3-4 months. Am I being daft? Is the new registration plate that important?

Just before Xmas I walked into my local dealer to find a new unregistered NC750X, in the blue that I wanted, that turned out to be a cancelled order. After a little thought I put £100 deposit on it with an agreement to sort out the deal in the new year. So now I’m thinking that I could wait 7 weeks for the new 2022 registration in March. (I have another bike). The dealer isn’t keen on that. I’ve said that I’m happy to buy it before March just delay the registration. He’s not keen on doing that. I can cancel and reorder but there’s currently no guarantee on when another one will arrive. They are saying 3-4 months. Am I being daft? Is the new registration plate that important?

Many of us from other countries will have no knowledge of the relative cost of your registration vs the motorcycle. For me, locally, the registration cost would not be significant. I would buy the bike I want when it’s available, because future availability is not guaranteed. Your situation may differ.

Many of us from other countries will have no knowledge of the relative cost of your registration vs the motorcycle. For me, locally, the registration cost would not be significant. I would buy the bike I want when it’s available, because future availability is not guaranteed. Your situation may differ.
Agree. Buy what you want when you find it. Unless there is a Huge cost advantage, I’d go ahead and buy “my bike” while it’s available. Also, typically here anyway, the closer you get to decent weather the less the dealerships are interested in “dealing” given that demand increases as spring progresses. Herein the states new NX’s are a tad “scarce”, buddy of mine got his last week after shopping for several months.

As they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
I bought my '20 NC750X DCT last winter.
I got a fantastic discount ($1200 off MSRP).
If I had waited for the riding season I would have paid full MSRP if there was even a '20 remaining in stock.
The '21's had not landed yet and I wasn't about to wait for July as half my riding season would have been gone.
In addition to the loss of 4 months of riding I would have had to pay about $2k more for the '22 than I did for my '20.
So I say get it now and be guaranteed your ride.

I

Many of us from other contries will have no knowledge of the relative cost of your registration vs the motorcycle. For me, locally, the registration cost would not be significant. I would buy the bike I want when it’s available, because future availability is not guaranteed. Your situation may differ.
My thread title did say this was a uk issue.

I decided to go with it anyway. They wouldn’t keep it unregistered until March even if I paid for it now as Honda won’t let them order others if they have some in stock (or some bs). I’ll be keeping it long enough that the likely difference in value relating to the new registration number won’t be a big issue anyway. I’ll pick it up sometime over this coming weekend. Just as temperatures are headed for minus figures for the first time this year :)

I decided to go with it anyway. They wouldn’t keep it unregistered until March even if I paid for it now as Honda won’t let them order others if they have some in stock (or some bs). I’ll be keeping it long enough that the likely difference in value relating to the new registration number won’t be a big issue anyway. I’ll pick it up sometime over this coming weekend. Just as temperatures are headed for minus figures for the first time this year :)
For my own information, when you say registration, are you referring to number plate or ownership title? I'm assuming number plate, since I guess ownership does not expire.
For me, the number plate is on a calendar year cycle and costs about $50 (CAD). In my personal situation, an extra $50 to be sure I got the bike I wanted would be no big deal.
I think here at least, you could get the bike, do the ownership, and not plate it right away if you were concerned about paying for a plate expiring before you got a chance to ride.

Congrats on your new ride. You’re gonna love it. Now just wait for a warm day….

Back