• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Information Can’t find a definitive answer

Wedders

Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve searched the whole forum for an answer to the side stand problem when the bike is lowered.
Some say use a stand from an S model some say it’s too low there seem to be so many opinions and no definitive answer.
I have lowered mine with 40mm dog bones and forks by 15mm what do you think is the best option for the side stand? Could someone with an S measure the stand for me? At present I have fitted one of those cheapo Chinese adjustable ones but want to make a better job of it

I’ve searched the whole forum for an answer to the side stand problem when the bike is lowered.
Some say use a stand from an S model some say it’s too low there seem to be so many opinions and no definitive answer.
I have lowered mine with 40mm dog bones and forks by 15mm what do you think is the best option for the side stand? Could someone with an S measure the stand for me? At present I have fitted one of those cheapo Chinese adjustable ones but want to make a better job of it
I searched and found this thread with a measurement: https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/nc700-750-sport-side-stand-length.16756/ Looks like the S stand may be 1 inch shorter than the X.

I'm just curious so will ask. Did you notice additional stiffness in the rear suspension after the bike was lowered?

I haven’t ridden the bike yet I’m waiting for a bolt and nut to complete the job. Plus I have fitted a different shock from my Ducati.
im not much use to you am I?

Use your adjustable side stand to get the length needed, then find someone where you live that can weld, have them cut and weld your oem stand to match the length of the adjustable stand. Then spray paint black over the weld joint, reinstall. If you ever need to raise back to stock, I think I gave $43 for a new oem side stand. Not that big of a deal. Any collision repair shop will have welders, steel factory, possibly even machine shops. Should be fairly easy to find someone that can cut and weld one for you.

Thanks for the advice but I’ve come up with a cunning plan. I’ve ordered off eBay some steel tube with an ID of 22mm the same size as the OD of the stand. I can then cut my stand to the length required slide the sleeve over and bolt it through above and below the cut. This means if I ever need or want to adjust the length then I can. It cost me £9.00 for the tube. Also if I can find something for the inside of the stand I will make and insert a slug.

Just decided to cut my side stand. Measured it against the Chinese one and had to cut off 30mm to match. Taken it to a local engineering company to insert a slug and tig it all up, charging me £10.

Collected my stand today it just looks like it did before I started but shorter. The company that did it even repainted it all for £10. I was that chuffed I gave them £15, what a tipper eh?

I've cut several sidestands and have never inserted a plug. A few years ago I shortened the centerstand on my NT700V and on that mod, I did insert a plug in each leg to bridge the weld line.

When getting the bike up on a centerstand, the legs are subjected to a bending moment. When using a sidestand there is no bending moment and the vast majority of the load is in compression - pressing tight against the weld.

Last edited:
Belt and braces.
Don’t want to find that the weld wasn’t strong enough by finding the bike on the ground. The stand can’t be too strong.

I had a local welding shop cut my stand 1.25" and weld back together. Works fine, strong as stock. In hindsight, I should have had them cut out maybe another .5".

Yes, cutting the sidestand is pretty simple. And for those who worried about the weld breaking, the joined pieces are in compression when the sidestand is down - the weight of the bike is pressing the welded joint.

If the weight was trying to bend the welded joint, then there would be a concern!

Back