• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

!!Cancelled!! 2022 Land of the Dragon Gathering !!Cancelled!!

I was looking on their website earlier, rates seem reasonable. not far for Tellico Plains. They have cabins, RV spots (but with only 30amp service), and of course tent camping available. Website states they offer for sale Breakfast and Dinner on Sat/Sun...and the cabins contain 2 twin beds.
I like it. I plan to call them today to get a feel for availability.

Last edited:
I called CMTC. On weekends in May through Jun, all of the (7) cabins are already reserved on weekends. There are various tent and RV sites available at times. I’ll be camping, so that works for me, but it’s not good for someone not wanting to camp. There is someting in Tellico Plains called The Lodge at Tellico, but I know nothing about it’s availability in May or June. Someone interested in hoteling would need to check.

So, we’re still kind of up in the air. No word yet from Kickstand Lodge.

I go by here often and it looks like a very nice place though I’ve never stopped. It looks like it could easily accommodate many groups at the same time. 39/Mecca Pike/TN315 is one of my favorite roads going either north or south. Hard packed gravel Kimsey Mountain Hwy connects 315 just north of Reliance to 68 and is an interesting way to cross the mountains there.
I love that route from Ocoee north to Tellico! Also love tubing the Hiawassee with Hiwassee Outfitters there in Reliance. I love that whole area so much!

Last time I rode that route last year, a rider had straightened out a curve and went into thick brush. Took us forever to finally be able to pass through 315. First responders told us another rider was riding through and heard someone screaming bloody murder, which was the injured, crashed rider. He stopped and found him, then called 911. Crazy stuff!

I love that route from Ocoee north to Tellico! Also love tubing the Hiawassee with Hiwassee Outfitters there in Reliance. I love that whole area so much!

Last time I rode that route last year, a rider had straightened out a curve and went into thick brush. Took us forever to finally be able to pass through 315. First responders told us another rider was riding through and heard someone screaming bloody murder, which was the injured, crashed rider. He stopped and found him, then called 911. Crazy stuff!
That area is about 1 hour from my house. :D

Here is the latest development. Kickstand Lodge replied to my email and said they were opening Memorial Day weekend.

"Hey Greg,
We will be reopening on the Memorial Day weekend. I hope your group can make it then or soon after.
I'll look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks,

Bobby"

So on that note, I propose that we hold an NC (or whatever machine you have) gathering at Kickstand Lodge, Stecoah, North Carolina, USA on the weekend following Memorial Day: June 2-5, 2022.

As far as I know, Kickstand www.kickstandlodge.com does not take reservations for camping, but they probably do for cabins. Each attendee would be responsible for their own accomodations. As for camping, if it's first come, first served, you may want to arrive earlier in the week. RV sites (basically just grass) with 15 amp electric hookup are limited, but the tent camping should be no problem.

Other nearby accommodations would be Iron Horse Lodge, also in Stecoah, and several hotel choices in Robbinsville, NC. Iron Horse has a few RV sites, tent camping sites, and rooms. There may be RV sites available at an RV park across the highway from Kickstand, but I am not sure.

Motorcycling attractions nearby are Deals Gap / Tail of the Dragon (US 129), the Cherohala Skyway, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and good riding roads just about everywhere in the area. Get in a ride with a seasoned area rider and you'll get a taste of the good stuff.

Our typical activities involve splitting into small, manageable groups of 2-4 like-minded riders and enjoying the local roads and a lunch stop each day. The evening is BS time around the Kickstand commons area and campfire. In the past, Kickstand prepared a dinner meal for Kickstand guests only on Friday and Saturday evening (excellent food!).

Feel free to comment on this proposal. If you want more information on our past events held at this venue, I can dig up old threads here that hopefully described the outing and showed how much fun we had.

The kickstand lodge also has a bunkhouse which has 4 or 5 beds (4 I think) .... The 2021 price is $22 per night in the bunkhouse per bed....That price has not changed in years....good for them....unless Covid does something nasty again, I plan on staying in the bunkhouse (no need to carry my camping gear)...I need to email them and reserve a bed (the beds are first come/first serve) for the days down there...I may take week off for vacation (since Monday is Memorial day) and head down on Wednesday.....and they are a cash only business...no checks or credit cards accepted.

Last edited:
It is official. 3 days of comment opportunity have passed, and it seems like our best gathering option is still Kickstand Lodge, June 2-5, 2022 per the details in post #25. I hope we have some interest and participation. As the date gets very close and attendence is solidified, we can swap some personal contact information if desired.

If anyone has questions about this gathering, ask questions in this thread or open a conversation with me.

Well, just got a reply back from Bobby tried to reserve a bed in the bunkhouse:

"We have a big group coming in the 2nd thru the 5th. Everything is already booked for that time period. it's the HD Shovelhead group."

I have vacation approved for that week following Memorial day....I am still going somewhere in the area...probably tent camp over at Tellico somewhere....

I'm a miss for June 2 - 5. I had already put in for time off the usual slot the week before Memorial Day. Also, there's an ST owner's event up in Ohio June 9 - 12 that I'm going to, and it's too close to that. I'll probably end up going to Willville in Meadows of Dan Va. May 18 - 22. An added bonus is the Moto America race being held at VIR that weekend, so I'll probably spend a day over there.

Obviously, if anybody is available that weekend and wants to join, it would be great to see you. So far Allan who was at last year's event, and possibly Les will be joining me.

Last edited:
Cabin 27 right? If I make it up there this year I will try and say Hi. I usually only go to OH-SToc for one day, ride up and ride home to see Pat & Annette, STraymond, OhioDeere, Uncle Phil, and a few others I have known for years. Im not into the group rides and have ridden all the roads they usually do at the rallies.

Cool, hope to see you there Ferret. I'll be heading up with Smashvol (Allan from Tennessee). Cabin 27 sounds right. It'll be my first OH-STOC, but I know all those people from other STOCS (Blueridge Gathering and WV-STOC).

On news that there is no lodging available at Kickstand for the desired weekend, I am cancelling this spring event. I admit we began planning too late, and had no way to set anything up early with Kickstand due to difficulty in making contact.

davidc83 and I plan to camp somewhere around Tellico Plains during that week/weekend. If anyone wants to join, please do, but at this time there will be no formally appointed venue.

My hope is that with some earlier planning, we can organize a fall event around the Stecoah, NC area.

I'm a miss for June 2 - 5. I had already put in for time off the usual slot the week before Memorial Day. Also, there's an ST owner's event up in Ohio June 9 - 12 that I'm going to, and it's too close to that. I'll probably end up going to Willville in Meadows of Dan Va. May 18 - 22. An added bonus is the Moto America race being held at VIR that weekend, so I'll probably spend a day over there.

Obviously, if anybody is available that weekend and wants to join, it would be great to see you. So far Allan who was at last year's event, and possibly Les will be joining me.
I rsvp’d CAMPSTOC @Willville early on and plan on being there but ………… my wife developed a pneumonia in late February that has proven very resistant to treatment so now I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll be able to make it. Still, I’m hopeful at this point.

I rsvp’d CAMPSTOC @Willville early on and plan on being there but ………… my wife developed a pneumonia in late February that has proven very resistant to treatment so now I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll be able to make it. Still, I’m hopeful at this point.
Ha - I didn't even realize there was a STOC event there that week. I was planning to go to KSL if available. Thanks for the heads up. Hope to see you there!

Willville is motorcycle tent camping only. I will probably trailer and sleep in my SUV. Greg and David, can you keep me posted?
Last time I was there there was a bunkhouse and several cabins. I’ve never stayed in a cabin but besides tenting I’ve stayed in the bunkhouse.

Back