• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Can't see in rain

Ok I have seen windscreens ruined by RainX over a long period of time. I do not know what material the windscreen was made of but... it was so bad it was very hard to see through the windscreen.
I know it only affects certain material that way so some windscreens will be fine with it. Just a word of warning.

2nd Pinlock is a must and if you don't have pinlock available for your helmet you can use a Fog city peel and stick insert on the inside of your helmet. There is another brand out there that has gotten very good reviews that does basically the same thing. Can't remember what the name is but I intend on trying them soon.

3rd eyeglasses. Yes you need a coating to keep them from fogging up. If you don't have anything with you to coat your glasses, you can use dish soap or even the soap in hand dispensers in bathrooms for a short term fix. rub it into the lenses on both sides rinse and pat the lenses dry with a paper towel... OR if there is a hand dryer you can dry the lenses with that. You don't want to rub off the thin film you are putting on which will help keep the glasses from fogging up.... somewhat.

As others have state.... crack the visor and get airflow .... that will do the most to keep fog from getting on your lenses or visor.

If it's still too foggy, you can't ride... You don't want to end up in the hospital after all.

I just rode 250+ miles in moderate rain and had those exact issues. I haven't put an insert on my visor yet (doesn't do pinlock) and I wear glasses. I put the soap from the bathroom on both my glasses and the inside of my helmet visor and saw noticeable improvement in keeping the fogging down. I kept my visor cracked and the vents on the chin open to feed air to it...even though I was getting some water coming in at times.

I will try the new Fog city alternative and get some treatment for my glasses. I also carry some old prescription contacts to use in a worst case scenario where my glasses just fog up too bad.

Ok I have seen windscreens ruined by RainX over a long period of time. I do not know what material the windscreen was made of but... it was so bad it was very hard to see through the windscreen.
I know it only affects certain material that way so some windscreens will be fine with it.

More info in the Madstad FAQ at FAQ – MadStad Engineering

ANTI-RAIN: Rain-X is NOT recommended for use on our shields because it contains alcohol. There is another product called RejeX Polymer Sealant that is recommended for acrylics, so use that instead. It is available online.

When I posted I mentioned Rain-X for PLASTIC, a formula that is not like Rain-X for glass.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAcKAAAAJDIyNjZiMjJhLTJiNzItNGExNy1hMmFkLTk5MmIxMjI3MTk4Ng.png

Just my experiences...

I have on all my visors the Pinlock system, and when adjusted at the correct tension (not too much as the pins will brake, not too loose or it still fogs up), it works beautifully. Pinlock is quite expensive though, but I find it very worthwhile the costs.

Rain-X for plastics (the standaard X is only to be used on glass surfaces and is too aggressive on plastics), needs to be repeated often (every 2-3 weeks) and the effect reduces in time. Didn't like it that much and went to the Pinlocks.

A temporary solution which works well, is the same you do when you scuba dive: use some spit or just a drop of liquid dish wash on the inside of the visor. Cheap as hell.

rain-x for plastic or meguiar's ultimate quik wax (or whatever it's called)

+1 for Rain-X for plastic. I got some from Amazon right after you posted this and applied it last weekend. I got caught in the rain on the way home from work one day this week. The raindrops rolled right off my windscreen and visor just like on the TV commercials. I've never been particularly impressed with the regular Rain-X on car windshields, but this worked like a charm. Another plus, a friend and I ran through a cloud of gnats on the way home from riding yesterday. I saw them everywhere, but they didn't leave splats all over my visor like they did on my friend's visor. I'm sold.

Meguiar's didn't repel beads quite as much as Rain-X for plastic, but it sure made my aging faceshield a lot clearer and did well enough to be practical.

I just use Meguire's spray wax on the windscreen and then on my helmet if I think I'll be riding in wet conditions.
The worst weather isn't rain but mist, where the fog means I need to slow down. With slower speeds, the water doesn't peel right off the plastic lenses as well as at high speeds. I usually will constantly be wiping my faceshield with my left thumb or staying tucked down below the windscreen, as the water tends to sweep off of it better than off my faceshield.

I hate riding in rain but sometimes you just have to. I have a great Shoei Hornet X2 helmet with Pinlock shield which never, never fogs. Fantastic.
If I get water spray building up on the exterior of my face shield I stand up a little to get back into the fast moving air to blow off the spray.

Back