• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain cover- no, not THAT chain

SilverRocket

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to chain my bike up each night and am using a disk lock on the front and a tough u-lock through the rear wheel. I then wrap a chain through the u-lock. If I'm gone for a while I will wrap the chain through the rear wheel.

My chain is hanging from an overhear water pipe, so the bad guys can't lay it on the ground to cut it easily.
Problem is that I want to protect my bike's finish, so need to wrap the chain in something that won't scratch the bike yet will not melt. I noticed a small scratch on the exhaust pipe. The u-lock helps getting the chain away from the bike, but not always enough.

What can I use? I've been doing searches but not getting anything. Any ideas on something I can wrap around the chain that won't melt, yet protect the bike? I have to park my bike in this one spot, against the wall.
Thanks
20170824_150043.jpg

If you go to a good hardware store, you'll find they sell clear, vinyl hose in various diameters and wall thicknesses.

I don't think the muffler gets all that hot but I wouldn't keep something touching it that could melt against it. I usually wait no more than 15 minutes after I park the bike to put the nylon cover on. When I first get off of the bike I can tap the muffler without the risk of burning my fingers. I have a 2014 NC with the shiny metal exhaust.

I have no intention to offend...
but this is the funniest thread / question that I have seen in a motorcycle forum...

Why must it be heatproof? Nevertheless, find some heat-resistant material to wrap it. The plastic hose method should work as well. If need cut the hose with slits at several spots to allow chain to pass through easier.

Stay cool.

Cable might be easier to "shroud" than a chain, but may not be as "cut-proof" as chain too. Just an idea.

Not sure what type of chain you are using, but I've been able to cut cheaper locks and chains pretty quickly with either a hacksaw or even small diameter round file. Due to lost keys or rusted keyhole, not thieving, I promise.
Security chains are very expensive by the foot, but are you able to mount an anchor in the cement or wall closer to the bike? Amazon has Oxford Anchors, and Oxford chains pre-covered to protect your finish.

I feel your pain though, I used to live in San Diego, and would go out to sea for months. I had two Honda Magna's. I used a kryptonite lock on the new 1997 magna, and left the 1983 unlocked in case someone needed it more than I did. Or maybe the easy getaway would deflect them from my new one. Should have left the keys in it in retrospect.

I wish you could enjoy peace of mind without constantly worrying about some loser stealing something you worked for. I also am surprised no one in the forum mentioned firearms yet. Reminds me that this isn't a Harley forum.

I agree with Huey...sucks you have to worry about your bike getting stolen where you live.

Truth be told...if they want it, they're going to get it. It's the way of the world today. The best thing to do, IMO, is to first and foremost have theft insurance. Next, always lock the bars. Any of the locks mentioned should help but, again, if they want it they're going to find a way to take it.
There's also alarm systems and LoJack you can get. Expensive but the insurance savings might be worth it. I saw a YouTube video where a guy puts one of those little key chain-type sirens around his tires. That could also be a cheap but effective deterrent.
Good luck with whatever way you chose!

Actually, the LAST thing you get is the insurance. With our high deductibles and depreciating bike prices it's unlikely they'll ever give you enough money for a similar bike.
The times I've had bikes and cars stolen was because I wasn't defending my vehicles enough, not because I had insurance. Only a masochist would want to go through the process and having to report a stolen bike, wait 30 days, and then get a check for 1/2 of what you'd need to buy a new replacement bike. And the process of buying a bike... enjoy that?

Locks, chains and covers have kept my bikes safe for the past 10+ years. It's also got a new tech recovery item coming as soon as I figure which one works best.

Back