• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain maintenance while touring

Rennie

Reaction score
Visit site
Had shaft drive bikes last 30 years. I did some touring on my NC700SAD past summer and after every day would get news paper from hotel to protect the pavement, then lube the chain. I have been using "PJ1 Blue Label". Most of my touring days are on back paved roads so low kms but long days, however this coming year will be doing a lot of highway. I now have about 6000kms on the NC with only one adjustment which was just to make sure alignment was good so my lubing must be working? I have ordered a "Loobman oiler from the UK as they seem popular there and will try it out but skeptical! I would like some feedback from others as to how often to lube the chain while touring and if I should be doing this after every day or wait kms/miles? Also would like any feedback to how the oilers work and how messy if any they are. Also, what about a day riding in the rain, should I do anything more to the chain in wet conditions? Thanks in advance - Rennie in Halifax where it was -19C this morning and another wicked storm coming next two days:(

IMG_20140628_150940.jpg

Last edited:
I have a loobman, it makes a small mess, not bad at all. Durability is not great though. The cap tether and original mounting wedge broke, and the button is sticking.

I have experience of two oilers. I have a Scottoiler on my KTM 950SM and a Tutoro on my NC. I have no experience of Loobman. The Tutoro is the better kit for me. It applies the oil as required and leaves very little mess. The Scottoiler applies lube as required and leaves a lot of mess. This is interesting as both apply the oil to the rear sprocket by the same means, a plastic tube running against the side of the sprocket. The Scottoiler works off engine vacuum and requires connections to do so. The Tutoro operates using the motion of the motorcycle and requires no connections. Obviously the operation of the metering is the deciding factor. Imho the Tutoro is one of the best bits of kit that has been invented for the purpose.

With all of the above in mind I would not leave on a big tour without an oiler of some form. Messing about with bottles of oil and sprays is tedious to say the least.

I had plans of getting an auto-oilier at one point... never did...

I have a spray can of wax (can't remember the name and not about to brave our -21C (-6F) wind chills (heat of the day!) to go out to the garage to check) when I'm just around town I give it a good hit rolling the bike around in the garage to get all of the chain every other gas fill up...

On longer trips I just spray what I can down at the gas station... If the red tube on the spray bottle can't get to a part of the chain it doesn't get lubed that time, I never put so much on that it drips at gas stations... I figure I hit about 60-80% of the chain at any given time this way, and usually get about 200 miles on a tank of gas, so every 400 miles I get 120%-160% of my chain... every 600 miles I hit 180%-240%.
That gives me some piece of mind that I'm doing at least the 100% lube every 500 miles that the manual calls for (again I think, I'm not ready to go outside to get the manual from the garage to double check anything...)

With just the quick spray down at gas stations like this I don't want to be bothered to buy/install/maintain and auto oilier, and risk having people think that a Harley has been parking in my garage (or my wife old dodge... that thing leaked every kind of fluid known to man; except single malt whiskey) /My 2 cents.

I use Dupont chain saver, which is a wax, and lube the complete chain every 3 fills. It takes two or three minutes and I get to inspect the chain at the same time.

I use Dupont chain saver, which is a wax, and lube the complete chain every 3 fills. It takes two or three minutes and I get to inspect the chain at the same time.

What Cyclerosis said, plus the DuPont product is available in a 3 ounce travel size (sometimes at Walmart if you're in the USA).

Last edited:
I did a 7k mile trip last year on the NC. I just hit the chain with some spray lube every evening after a day of riding. This is chain luring not brain surgery

I used Dupont chain lube until I got a Tutoro. The Tutoro was well worth the money. I still use Dupont for the other two bikes though.

I've toured many miles on my NC and couldn't be bothered with an oiler. First thing in the morning while the bike is on the centre stand I give it a shot of chain wax spray while spinning the rear tire slowly while in first gear. Works great and only takes about 30 seconds. I then pack the bike up, have breakfast and leave. It gives the oil/wax a chance to dry. I now have 14,000 kms on the bike and the chain still looks like new so I must be doing something right.

I usually lube it after my ride back from work. I heard it works best with a warm chain. I do it around every 500-700 miles if I don't forget to remember.

I have 10,000 miles on oem chain and it feels smooth.

Last edited:
I've toured many miles on my NC and couldn't be bothered with an oiler. First thing in the morning while the bike is on the centre stand I give it a shot of chain wax spray while spinning the rear tire slowly while in first gear. Works great and only takes about 30 seconds. I then pack the bike up, have breakfast and leave. It gives the oil/wax a chance to dry. I now have 14,000 kms on the bike and the chain still looks like new so I must be doing something right.

This is exactly what I did before I got the Tutoro. If it was especially dirty I'd hit it with a little WD40 and an old rag or something first. Worked just fine, brought the can of lube with me on trips, it doesn't take up much space.

But, after my last two chains dying at < 20k miles I wasn't satisfied -- I'm used to getting more out of my chains. I think part of the problem was, many of my days are long, 500-700 miles, and sometimes it's raining most of the day, or there's quite a bit of dirt involved. It's easy to say just stop and spray it with lube at a gas stop, but I'm forgetful :p

So far I've really liked the Tutoro. It's taken a little experimentation to get the oil flow right (damp chain, but not throwing oil everywhere), but it's pretty good now, and I like the peace of mind knowing it's dripping away while I'm riding. If I need to fill it on the road, pop in to any auto parts store and grab some cheap oil. Will be interesting to see if I get more life out of this chain with the oiler.

trey

Also, use the Dupont, can be bought at most Wal-marts, even in Mexico. Oil chain at end of day when to stop for the night. This way the chain is still warm.

This is my first chain drive street bike in decades as well, so I have no comment on the best chain lube method. I use the B trip meter to remind me how long I've gone since the last lube, 500ish kms in the winter and 800 or so in the summer.

I don't like the Dupont,just seems to not stick for me.i have tried 4 different kinds and so far I like the pj1 the best.I found another on the net will try it this summer when I need to order more.
b715a14cc40e0b73f865ac9c995fc0c0.jpg

Last edited:
This is exactly what I did before I got the Tutoro. If it was especially dirty I'd hit it with a little WD40 and an old rag or something first. Worked just fine, brought the can of lube with me on trips, it doesn't take up much space.

But, after my last two chains dying at < 20k miles I wasn't satisfied -- I'm used to getting more out of my chains. I think part of the problem was, many of my days are long, 500-700 miles, and sometimes it's raining most of the day, or there's quite a bit of dirt involved. It's easy to say just stop and spray it with lube at a gas stop, but I'm forgetful :p

trey

The use of WD-40 as a cleaner on motorcycle chains is a very controversial and debated subject. Some claim that because of its highly penetrating properties it actually gets in behind the sealed O-rings and dissolves the lubrication from the factory and that re-lubing will not be able to penetrate/get back in again. There's a pretty compelling comment and pictures (all the way at the bottom of the page)from a reader of the following article from WebBike World that shows damage to an airplane part caused by WD-40 washing away the lubricant from a sealed bearing. So at least for me, just the fact that there could be a chance that WD-40 does more damage than good I opt for chain cleaners that have not been reported to cause problems. Others can of course decide for themselves.

Here's the article: Motorcycle Chain Lube and the Grunge Brush - webBikeWorld

WD40 sprayed liberally on a paper towel or rag is not spraying the O rings with WD40 but it does keep the chain and sprockets nice and clean while a minute amount of oil applied after wiping keeps the O rings healthy and the chain rust free. I know a guy that gets around 30,000 miles out of his VFR chains like this and has for years. I started the Tiger out like this. In the past I sprayed the NC700's chain directly with WD40 and couldn't get more than 8000 out of a chain until I stopped spraying and started wiping. The last NC chain had about 12,000 miles on it and still looked and acted as new. (Lack of tight spots and requiring frequent adjustments).

I've never used an oiler but clean, lube and adjust my chain every 200-300 hundred miles.

I do a lot of dirt and gravel roads. Cleaning the chain is as important as lubing it. Honda chain cleaner does a pretty good job. Just spray it on, wait 5 minutes, wash it off with a hose, dry and lube.

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5690.jpg

IMG_5691.jpg

Last edited:
I've never used an oiler but clean, lube and adjust my chain every 200-300 hundred miles.

I do a lot of dirt and gravel roads. Cleaning the chain is as important as lubing it. Honda chain cleaner does a pretty good job.

My opinion: Cleaning a chain may be good, but just don't brush it or use unsafe solvents. If the chain is doing well, it should go several thousand miles between adjustments.

A well cleaned chain and a well oiled chain lasts forever unless you do silly things like wheelies and driving through salt waters.
During tours, just use a good turpentine cloth to clean up and generously lube with heavy oil. I avoid lubes which are too sticky and messy.
After some time, the gears and teeth will tell you to change all three components. Chain, and both sprockets.
Don't be a cheapo and just change one.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back