• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain Maintenance

tanserf

Reaction score
Visit site
NiCX has done 5500km, so time for some work. Still in need of a centre stand, and needing some chain cleaning, we had to come up with some innovation. You can tilt the bike on the side stand to lift the rear wheel and lube the chain, hardly the best way to do this! All considered, a job well done.

Attachments

• chain 003.jpg
    chain 003.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 550
  • chain 002.jpg
    chain 002.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 652
  • chain 001.jpg
    chain 001.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 713
Hi tanserf

Your bike looks so clean !
OMG.

But I like it.

As for a replacement for main stand (I am still waiting mine on back order, til end May), I would propose to use a plastic beer crate (like some Motorcrossers use).
Beer-Crate-Mould.jpg

Just turn it over.

I would also recommend putting a thick layer of old towel between this plastic crate and the engine to avoid scratches.

I usually will wash the chain with soapy water (not too concentrated, but yes soap) and then totally dry and then relube with 110W oil or a light spray of that gooey stuff from a can.
Anyway, too much means it will fling off anyway, and dirty your bike.

Another "extreme" method, is to remove chain (provided you have the clips to lock them back) and then wash them with a gentle brush in soapy water. Some say this method is too extreme. A new chain may cost only 200chf?

Hope this helps in sharing my chain maintenance "guru/goondu" advice.

:p

Last edited:
Hi swissnc700,
thanks for that, I guess if you have a beer crate handy, it could work, just worried about the underside of the bike, there is no bash plate and the exhaust is a bit vulnerable. And you have to somehow lift 218kg... and much lower than the moto's. Still better than the tilting on the side stand. Hope your stand arives soon!

Having relooked at the bottom of the NCX, I agree it may not be a good idea to support it from below.

I do have a "chopper" jack for my previous moto, but same problem as the engine hangs from the frame and there is no pivot support point from the frame.
Hmm.

I will order a center stand as soon as it is available but until then I'll use a racheting chain hoist I have secured to a rafter in my garage. That is what I used in the past to lift the rear wheel or front wheel off the ground on my non-centerstand equipped bikes.

My dealer took my money and ordered me a center stand today. Did not mention anything about the part being on back order. It costs me $148.00 which is supposedly a 10% discount from a list price of about $165.00.

My dealer took my money and ordered me a center stand today. Did not mention anything about the part being on back order. It costs me $148.00 which is supposedly a 10% discount from a list price of about $165.00.

Never ever pay the full amount in advance unless you are really tight with the dealer! Even then I would like to say that the rule is valid. There are too many persons who got fooled at the end when they get the wrong part delivered or no part at all as the dealer closed their business. Especially for those dealers who demand payment in advance...

My dealer has never asked me for a deposit on any parts that I order however expensive they may be. At the moment I have a R&G hugger and Pyramid Duck tail on order for the NC & a Puig screen for the Crossrunner and he doesn't expect me to pay until they have fitted them

Never ever pay the full amount in advance unless you are really tight with the dealer! Even then I would like to say that the rule is valid. There are too many persons who got fooled at the end when they get the wrong part delivered or no part at all as the dealer closed their business. Especially for those dealers who demand payment in advance...

I agree.
If the dealer cannot "afford" to order the parts without a deposit, then there is not trust nor financial prowess. Better look for another dealer.
I can even order a bike without any deposit. It protects the dealer too, because nothing was paid.

I would definitely recommend a automatic chain oiler such as the scotoiler system or even cheaper a tutoro chain oiler but you have to remember to turn it off and on after each ride. I got nearly 20,000 miles out of my last chain on my cbr. It only cost £20 really good value and easy to fit. Going to fit mine on its first service.

Only 20 pounds? Are you talking about a scottoiler, a tutoro or which one for that price?

Back