• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain Maintenance

I usually lube the chain every 1,000km, on the 1,000 (easier not to forget that way). On multi-day trips I always bring chain lube with me and apply every morning regardless of the number of kilometres ridden the day before.

I should add in good faith, that I like the smell of the Maxima chain wax, and gag out at the use of gear lube recommended by most of the manufacturers. Good heavens, hot stinking gear oil turns my stomach, lol

Just installed my first new chain and sprockets yesterday. I was wondering. Should I clean off the manufacturers grease that's on the new chain before riding and apply chain lube? Or is it fine to leave it on for the first few hundred miles and then clean it off and apply the chain lube?

Tried searching for the answer first and couldn't find any suggestions on this specific question.

sent from a singars radio

Just installed my first new chain and sprockets yesterday. I was wondering. Should I clean off the manufacturers grease that's on the new chain before riding and apply chain lube? Or is it fine to leave it on for the first few hundred miles and then clean it off and apply the chain lube?

Tried searching for the answer first and couldn't find any suggestions on this specific question.

I always leave the factory lube on the chain. It doesn't sling bad and usually last pretty well so you don't have to lube soon after installing. I agree with L.B.S though maxima chain wax has been my staple for quite a while now and it works excellent!

I use Maxima chain wax as well. I've just never dealt with a brand spanking new chain before. Except of course when I bought the bike, but I don't remember it looking like this.

I always leave the factory lube on the chain. It doesn't sling bad and usually last pretty well so you don't have to lube soon after installing. I agree with L.B.S though maxima chain wax has been my staple for quite a while now and it works excellent!

+1 I left the factory lube on also, but I use opossum grease to lube my chain.. I meant DuPont Chain Saver.:)

I use Maxima chain wax as well. I've just never dealt with a brand spanking new chain before. Except of course when I bought the bike, but I don't remember it looking like this.

I wondered the same thing. The new chain came with a heavy coating. I just left it figuring the manufacturer wanted it that way.

I wipe off the excess grease with a rag. I figure all the excess grease will do is capture road grime, sand, and dust, so I don't want it on there.

I wipe off the excess grease with a rag. I figure all the excess grease will do is capture road grime, sand, and dust, so I don't want it on there.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. Plus after cleaning the excess grease off I used that as an excuse to go ride it for a bit to warm up the chain for the Maxima Wax. During that short ride a lot of the grease that didn't get wiped up from the rag got flung all over the center stand and the chain guard.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. Plus after cleaning the excess grease off I used that as an excuse to go ride it for a bit to warm up the chain for the Maxima Wax. During that short ride a lot of the grease that didn't get wiped up from the rag got flung all over the center stand and the chain guard.

Yep, it does that, too, unfortunately. Good job finding an excuse to go for a ride! :)

At least 3 times a year I ride to Florida and back from Indiana, about a 2000 mile trip after I ride around in Florida. I do a thorough chain maintenance the weekend before I leave and then I WD40 it when I get to Florida, WD40 the chain the day before I leave to come home, and then do a complete chain maintenance when I get back to Indiana. I did this routine on my last bike (bmw g650gs) and I didn't have to replace the chain/sprockets until 32,000 miles (chain was still good, but replaced all since the rear sprocket was worn)-front sprocket looked like the new one, but replaced all anyways.

Well.... today, at considerable expense (350€ - nearly one minimum wage!) I replaced the chain (actually the whole kit).
My chain was fubared, full of kinks, very worn out.

It lasted 23'000kms (14'000 miles). Is this normal for a 700x? Too soon? Should I take better care of it?
I'm a bit miffed cause after 300€ on tires, I spend another 350 on the chain kit, and another 100 in brakes (front and rear), and another 80 on the oil change... Bike is costing as much as my Renault Qashqai's maintenance....

At least 3 times a year I ride to Florida and back from Indiana, about a 2000 mile trip after I ride around in Florida. I do a thorough chain maintenance the weekend before I leave and then I WD40 it when I get to Florida, WD40 the chain the day before I leave to come home, and then do a complete chain maintenance when I get back to Indiana. I did this routine on my last bike (bmw g650gs) and I didn't have to replace the chain/sprockets until 32,000 miles (chain was still good, but replaced all since the rear sprocket was worn)-front sprocket looked like the new one, but replaced all anyways.

Ah another person who mainly uses WD40...:)

Well.... today, at considerable expense (350€ - nearly one minimum wage!) I replaced the chain (actually the whole kit).

It lasted 23'000kms (14'000 miles). Is this normal for a 700x? Too soon? Should I take better care of it?
I'm a bit miffed cause after 300€ on tires, I spend another 350 on the chain kit, and another 100 in brakes (front and rear), and another 80 on the oil change... Bike is costing as much as my Renault Qashqai's maintenance....

Don't feel bad, sounds about like mine at 12,000. First the rear tire, shortly thereafter the front which was badly cupped, then the chain which had kinks and tight spots. Sprockets were good, but bought a set for next time. Hoping to get better wear out of the x ring chain I had put on.

About once a month I check my chain thoroughly. It gets a good clean (WD40) and I inspect the links and each roller (individually) to make sure they're free running and not seized up. The rollers can seize up with dirt and grit quite easily. Then sometimes I'll go over the chain with a light oil and wipe off the excess afterwards.

Cager, change your own oil. I have a video up on how to do it, it is simple and will save you money. Most oil change places will take your used oil for free, least they do here in the states.

But then again you are not very easy on your NC from the video's I've watched. You off road, ride in rain, and do tire burnouts. (Not meant as an insult)

Last edited:
Ah another person who mainly uses WD40...:)

The full chain maintenance is scrub the chain with Kerosene (or in my case diesel fuel) and a wire brush thoroughly, wipe all the excess fuel oil off with a towel, then use a lithium grease applied liberally. At least once a year, instead of using lithium grease, I use high temp gear grease (the red stuff) on the chain. I use the WD40 on trips because I can find really small cans of it to pack and don't need much on the trips. Sometimes I use Honda chain wax instead of the lithium grease. I prefer using the lithium grease cause I can look at it and tell when it is time for maintenance.

Back