• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain Slack

The service manual subscription fees are only one part:

car manufacturers require an APP and monthly subscription fee for remote start and other features.

It‘s the “gift” ( aka business plan) that keeps on giving for years and years and years.

Because of the concentric action between swing arm, front and rear sprockets, slack varies depending on wheel travel location.
When those 3 are in alignment, the slack is at its' tightest. When the wheel is at its' highest and lowest travel point, slack is at its' loosest.
With me on the bike 1" is what I strive for. With the bike on the center stand 1" is too tight.

Because of the concentric action between swing arm, front and rear sprockets, slack varies depending on wheel travel location.
When those 3 are in alignment, the slack is at its' tightest. When the wheel is at its' highest and lowest travel point, slack is at its' loosest.
With me on the bike 1" is what I strive for. With the bike on the center stand 1" is too tight.
I might have posted this already in the thread, but . . .

The variation in slack depending on swingarm arc is why Honda specs 30-40mm chain slack with the unladen NCX on it's sidestand ('12-'20 models). The centerstand is an option so it could not be included in the normal spec. Some of us on the forum have measured and determined that measured with the NC on the centerstand, the ideal slack is 35-45mm.

Interesting tool. Maybe not new, but the first I've seen it.

That is kind of cool. I don't think I would buy one but I always like to see a new gadgets. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the link and something new to learn about. I had a similar device for setting tension on the wire cables used for sailboat rigging. For now a ruler does the job on the chain.

WOW, much to do about nothing much.
Just eyeball it. Its not rocket science!
Anal about chains much?
I didn’t make the tool, I didn’t buy the tool, and I don’t believe chain adjustment to be a complicated task. Just sharing it for others to consider. Whole idea of a forum…civil exchange of information about topics which we share a common interest. If you didn’t know about it before you are better informed now through the incredibly arduous task of pointing and clicking your mouse.

You guys use a ruler? I just lift it up in the center of the lower chain run, if it doesn't hit the bottom of the swingarm, it's good lol
If it’s too tight, it won’t raise up to hit bottom of the swingarm either, but it’s not good. I use a ruler to be sure the chain is not too tight as well as not too loose.

I use your simple method as a quick check if I’m out on a long trip, as my hope and goal is to never have to fiddle with the chain tension until I get home.

Or you could get the new BMW chain that needs NO maintenance!
No lube, no cleaning, no adjusting.
But then what would we post about?????

Or you could get the new BMW chain that needs NO maintenance!
No lube, no cleaning, no adjusting.
But then what would we post about?????
That is interesting. If it works I could see that changing the chain game.

Hope this claim works out better than BMW’s 2005-2007 “sealed for life” final drives that for a large percentage had a “life” of as little as 30,000 miles before failing. They didn’t even come with a drain plug or vent because the lubricant inside was expected to last 100,000 miles or more. By 2008 BMW included a drain plug and a vent again and a suggested oil change interval of 12,000 miles.

Last edited:
Pie in the sky, but would have been nice if true.

I dont "over maintenance " my chains. Only adjust if actually needed (which is rarely.. going on 5,000 miles since my last adjustment) and just enough lube to keep it from rusting (been lubed 3 or 4 times since last adjustment). Before this NC, which I dont know how long the chain will last on it yet, but the last chain on my other chain drive bike lasted 36,909 miles. There is 28,000 miles currently on it's replacement.

2:46 did he say you are going to clean the chain every 300 miles? Bwahahahaha

My problem Dave Moss is all his stuff (chains, suspensions etc) is in regards to race tracks and racing, and not normal every day street riding.

Back