Chain Wearing out?

Skinnymoss

Reaction score
I have 8000 miles on my bike. 2015 NC700 Manual.

Chain seems like in decent condition. I know there have been from other issues with stock chain. But the alignment indicator is in the “red” zone. I also know some Alignment indicators are off. I ride hard. both sprockets seemed fine.

Am I due for a new chain? Looking at DID VX3 Kit from SprocketCenter.com

Attachments

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the chain has no tight links and you still have adjustment range on the swingarm, I would continue to use the chain. It seems the original chains most always fail from multiple tight links before they would need replacement from wear.

DTMWAP

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I may be wrong but looking at the picture, I see tight links.

halfSpinDoctor

Reaction score
My bike just rolled thru 8,000 mi with the stock chain. There is still plenty of range for adjustment, but even with regular cleaning and lubrication there are multiple tight links. I can actually see o-rings that have deteriorated and are bulging out, indicating that for those links there is probably no grease left inside to keep them lubricated.

I think I am going to keep the chain on for the rest of the summer, then swap it out before fall. I've already ordered replacement chain/sprocket set.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My bike just rolled thru 8,000 mi with the stock chain. There is still plenty of range for adjustment, but even with regular cleaning and lubrication there are multiple tight links. I can actually see o-rings that have deteriorated and are bulging out, indicating that for those links there is probably no grease left inside to keep them lubricated.

I think I am going to keep the chain on for the rest of the summer, then swap it out before fall. I've already ordered replacement chain/sprocket set.
You might want to consider the possibility that the "regular cleaning" is what damaged your O-rings.

halfSpinDoctor

Reaction score
"Regular cleaning" = Wiping with a soft rag/shop towel and using a toothbrush to remove rust on the sides of the links (not inside them).

But to not be snarky, I do get it - a lot of people brush the hell out of them, use wire brushes, solvent that erodes the o-rings, etc. Often, leaving something alone even if it is slightly dirty, is MUCH better than doing the wrong thing to it.

I bought it used, and it was in so-so shape to begin with. It's a wear item and needs to be replaced at some point.

Skinnymoss

Reaction score
Hey Yall.

Ended up changing the chain out, since it was loose of the rear sprocket once I lifted it.

I ended up buying the DID VX3 Kit from SprocketCenter.com - $155 after tax. 43T Rear (Stock) and 15T front( -1) was looking for little more power. The only question I had I found the torque settings for Front socket 40 FT/lbs, but I saw on other forums the Torque settings for the rear Sprocket as 80 FT/Lbs. I set it to 50 FT/lbs for now. What do you guys think? I couldn’t find it in the manual....? On the “Torque Specifications” Page It wasn’t available.

Also put blue locktite, on the front/rear bolts, whichI regret,As I suspect I will have to tighten rear sprocket.

Attachments

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Yall.

Ended up changing the chain out, since it was loose of the rear sprocket once I lifted it.

I ended up buying the DID VX3 Kit from SprocketCenter.com - $155 after tax. 43T Rear (Stock) and 15T front( -1) was looking for little more power. The only question I had I found the torque settings for Front socket 40 FT/lbs, but I saw on other forums the Torque settings for the rear Sprocket as 80 FT/Lbs. I set it to 50 FT/lbs for now. What do you guys think? I couldn’t find it in the manual....? On the “Torque Specifications” Page It wasn’t available.

Also put blue locktite, on the front/rear bolts, whichI regret,As I suspect I will have to tighten rear sprocket.
I, too, have concerns over the specified torque in the manual for the rear sprocket nuts. I seriously think the manual is in error. So, like you, I torqued the sprocket nuts to about 40 ft lbs. 80? Wow, that’s like a rear axle nut value. Makes no sense.

Skinnymoss

Reaction score
I, too, have concerns over the specified torque in the manual for the rear sprocket nuts. I seriously think the manual is in error. So, like you, I torqued the sprocket nuts to about 40 ft lbs. 80? Wow, that’s like a rear axle nut value. Makes no sense.
670 CC thanks. I totally agree this was my first time replacing a chain. However, I couldn’t help but think how can the 12-14 mm nut need more Torque than the 22/27 mm size ( 72 FT/ lb spec) of the the Rear axle nut? Ok, I can sleep/ride at peace with my 40 ft/ lb front torque and 50 ft/lb torque. Even at 50, I just felt like it was going to start stripping.

My friend who was helping me; has a monster bike, Suzuki Hayabusa, and he said:

“Man, I set my Hayabusa rear at 45 FT/ Lb. There’s no way the Nc700 needs 80. Trust me, you’ll be fine”.

I’m just super particular, so he was calling me crazy to try to go up to 80.

Other than that, the bike drives so smooth with new chain/ sprockets. Since the bike was new2me, i’m hoping I can get atleast 15K-20K out of this chain instead of 8K like my old.