• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Changes By Model Year

Sonny

Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't find it with the Search function, but is there by chance a list of changes/improvements by model year somewhere on this forum? The NC700 has received a number of them as the bike has been refined. Such a list would be very useful for used bike buyers.

I am in the US and looking at a 2014 DCT model, and have been able to glean from various threads that '14 saw the instrument cluster recalled, a bad tires recall, frunk lock recall and possibly a starter solenoid recall, and that the 2014 model had a single S mode, the smaller frunk, the original suspension / non-Showa forks, and...?

The bike, offered by Dallas Honda, has less than 300mi on the clock, plus what was run up before the inst. cluster was replaced, assuming a dealer sticker showing that mileage is on the bike. I don't know yet.

Specific questions on my mind:

When did three S modes arrive, and are they useful enough to be a deciding factor?
Was a defective RK chain an issue in 2014?
Have any significant DCT or engine behavior improvements come along after 2014?
Assuming very low mileage, what might be a fair price on this bike in 2018?

The first US NC750s are coming in late summer. I could wait and blow a wad on the latest greatest model, but wondering if doing that is worth passing up a steep discount for an older but like-new 700.

Many thanks in advance. I am shopping hard, but don't want to make any dumb mistakes... :cool:

I believe the 2016 was a significant upgrade with three S modes and abs brakes. Maybe a suspension upgrade also.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My memory is a little fuzzy, but here is what I think: In the US, the 700X DCT model was always bundled with ABS. ABS was mandatory if you bought DCT, and if you bought a manual, you couldn’t have ABS. 2012 and 2013 ABS models had a combined ABS with a three piston front caliper. The ABS of 2014-2017 has a 2 piston front caliper.

The drive chain recall affected only the 2012 model.

The suspension is unchanged on US models from 2012 thru 2017. Europe got a supposedly improved front fork and LED headlight at some point, but the US has not seen it as of 2017. All the forks are Showa forks, but the “dual-bending” version may be what you’re referring to, again not available in the US as of 2017.

The only real changes in the US have been a couple revisions to the display and in 2016 changing the bodywork and going from one DCT sport mode to three. These are relatively minor, and whether that’s important depends on the individual. The upcoming NC750 is a significant change in the US model. Personally I’d take a 2014 for half the price of a 2018, and use the difference for farkle upgrades.

You can find recalls for model years via the Honda web site Recall Information - Honda Powersports , but some fixes are not safety recalls, they are “service campaigns”, or whatever Honda calls them.

The 2014 DCT and engine is unchanged since the first model introduced in 2012, except for the engine paint color. The valve adjustment interval was changed from 8000 miles to 16,000 miles, but this seems to be a recommended maintenance change, not an actual physical engine change. In fact, the engine has not changed for 2012 thru 2017.

The 2014 came from the factory with a random choice of two tire brands. The Dunlop Trailmax reportedly had a very short lifespan, but Honda did not address the concern. Certain dealers may have changed them as a customer satisfaction action, but it was not a recall, nor were the tires unsafe.

I hope someone can expand and clarify as needed.

Last edited:
2016 upgrades.

The only real changes in the US have been a couple revisions to the display and in 2016 changing the bodywork and going from one DCT sport mode to three. These are relatively minor, and whether that’s important depends on the individual. The upcoming NC750 is a significant change in the US model. Personally I’d take a 2014 for half the price of a 2018, and use the difference for farkle upgrades.

I hope someone can expand and clarify as needed.

One thing you forgot was the Frunk got bigger. Its one of the reasons I bought a 2015 vs a 2016.:

2012-2015
Monocolor digital LCD
DCT, Single sport mode.
Frunk 20L

2016 & Up
Color changing digital LCD
Improved DCT, Three sport modes
Frunk 21L
More aggressive styling.

I had the chance to get a 2015 at half the price of the 2016 but I wanted the DCT with 3 sport modes and the bigger frunk.

Techrat

[You can find recalls for model years via the Honda web site..., but some fixes are not safety recalls, they are “service campaigns”, or whatever Honda calls them...670]

True. Unfortunately in the lexicon of our overly-litigious society, anytime your dealer informs you of something beyond normal service that needs attention, it becomes a recall to consumers - even adding an addendum page in the O/M or upgrading the software that controls the automatic transmission in your car!

Last edited:
One thing you forgot was the Frunk got bigger. Its one of the reasons I bought a 2015 vs a 2016.:

2012-2015
Monocolor digital LCD
DCT, Single sport mode.
Frunk 20L

2016 & Up
Frunk 21L
More aggressive styling.

Techrat

The ”changes to body work” I mentioned for 2016 includes the more angular, less rounded styling, slightly larger frunk (5%), different muffler, and the change from black to light grey wheels. But the underlying motorcycle is largely the same.

Thanks for the good detail on the display changes.

Last edited:
Take a look at the "Flashing dash indicator" thread for a design flaw in the transmission that was apparently fixed for 2016.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Many thanks to all of you for this valuable information. Just great, and much appreciated! -S.

I did check NHTSA and there were zero recalls for 2014, so I see that Honda has taken it on itself to notify owners of certain items and offer to correct them. It speaks well of the company to do that. For ex., there was no instrument cluster recall but there were several complaints to NHTSA in re a trip counter reset issue.

NHTSA focuses on safety related recalls and arguably a misbehaving trip odometer is not a safety issue. But Honda took care of it anyway...

Last edited:
Didn't they fix the seat slant for 2016?

2012-2015
Monocolor digital LCD
DCT, Single sport mode.
Frunk 20L

2016 & Up
Frunk 21L
More aggressive styling.

I had the chance to get a 2015 at half the price of the 2016 but I wanted the DCT with 3 sport modes and the bigger frunk.

Techrat

Were the angled valve stems on the 2016 also a new feature?
I remember seeing those mentioned at the bike show back in November of 2015, so I figured they might be new with the new body style.

The bigger frunk wasn't big enough for a large helmet and a Sena attached.

BTW- After washing it, the angular body style makes drying the 2016 bike a bit of a chore. It made me long for a curved surface that I could caress! And those pointless brackets on my frunk were impossible to dry.

Back