• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Charging my battery with Battery Tender..... using inverter?

Willie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey you technical wizards. I have a question. I recently moved into an apartment with under ground parking, my question is, can I intermittently charge my motorcycle battery using an inverter off my car battery? There is no electrical available near my parking stall. I intend to store thru the winter in front of my vehicle and would like to leave the battery jn the bike and keep-it maintained using the methoud described. What are your thoughts and or suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards Willie from Minnesota....... Brrrrrr

Yes, you could do that.

Another, possibly simpler, solution would be to use a DC to DC battery charger. The charger basically already has an inverter built into it. It can charge a battery to a higher voltage than the source battery. I use one of these to charge my trailer’s or towed car’s battery from my tow vehicle when traveling. In your case it would be perfect for charging a motorcycle battery from a car battery. Here is the one I have: https://tecmate.com/products/tm500/

6B82969F-887E-414C-975A-8E7B792D1C94.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, you could do that.

Another, possibly simpler, solution would be to use a DC to DC battery charger. The charger basically already has an inverter built into it. It can charge a battery to a higher voltage than the source battery. I use one of these to charge my trailer’s or towed car’s battery from my tow vehicle when traveling. In your case it would be perfect for charging a motorcycle battery from a car battery. Here is the one I have: https://tecmate.com/products/tm500/

View attachment 43347

Thank You for a great solution, I have not yet purchased the inverter, so your solution seems excellent. It looks like it can provide a small amperage charge similar to a Battery Tender, did I read that right?

Thank You for a great solution, I have not yet purchased the inverter, so your solution seems excellent. It looks like it can provide a small amperage charge similar to a Battery Tender, did I read that right?
Yes, the Optimate charger is an intelligent charger/maintainer with a maximum 2 amp output. I have used the Optimate brand for several years and I have found them to be better performing and more reliable than the Deltran Battery Tender.

Yes, the Optimate charger is an itelligent charger/maintainer with a maximum 2 amp output. I have used the Optimate brand for several years and I have found them to be better performing and more reliable than the Deltran Battery Tender.
Excellent, Thank You once again.
Willie.......

You do realize the car battery is then going to be in a reduced state.
And since I to live in MN, not having a full battery is not good.
Bringing the battery into your apartment is the better option.
I did that before and worked just fine.

You do realize the car battery is then going to be in a reduced state.
And since I to live in MN, not having a full battery is not good.
Bringing the battery into your apartment is the better option.
I did that before and worked just fine.
Yes, but I would only do this a couple times per month to maintain the bike battery, I dont think overnight trickle charging would drain much at all, the car is driven daily. Thanks for your concern.

Back