• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Check your chain

Yes, it looks new, but I didn't have all that many miles on mine.

As a rough gauge (my own standard), a chain should only be replaced every 20,000km~30,000km or when you see that it has extended beyond the adjustment gaps.
The sprockets wear should also give you an idea.
2 sets of sprockets (front and back) = 1 chain change.

That is my unscientific estimate. Bike manual may say differently.

You MUST get back the money from that shop and make a big din. Else they do it to everyone else.

No, there was no charge to me. I just wondered why they changed it if it didn't need a new one.

You MUST get back the money from that shop and make a big din. Else they do it to everyone else.

Happy, as I understand from Michael252's post, there was no charge for the alleged chain replacement.

Assuming Honda doesn't require proof of the type of chain identified on the inspected bike, it sounds like your dealer just made a quick buck off of mother Honda by claiming labor reimbursement for the recall.

Greg
when the bike is built Honda has a built sheet, they no every part, that went in to every bike, wright down to what the valves were set at and crank and rod bearing clearance were set at . if the dealer replaced a chain that did not need to be they will charge the claim back to the dealer.

when the bike is built Honda has a built sheet, they no every part, that went in to every bike, wright down to what the valves were set at and crank and rod bearing clearance were set at . if the dealer replaced a chain that did not need to be they will charge the claim back to the dealer.

"Don't you believe it". They'll have a Bill Of Materials (or something similar) saying what parts can go into the construction - but if they have alternative suppliers for the same part (for chains I think they have at least 3) there's little or no chance that they will even attempt to record what was fitted to a specific unit. Unless they get the dealer to return the parts he replaces under warranty they've no really effective way of checking if he replaced a good or bad unit in such a case. It's amazing just how messed up OEM's systems are. They've grown and grown a bit at a time and typically they'll have at least half a dozen systems linked together to try and make their build forecasts to suppliers. I've seen lots of OEM's operations and despite all the effort spent on efficiency and reliability there's a huge amount of room for efficiency in production planning.

1. It was not my wish to get this topic out of the graveyard, but since it hits me with a delay and I got some new details from Honda Switzerland, I thought might be worth sharing it with rest of you as a reference.

I got my NC700X, used one, from Honda dealer in Geneva this February and when purchasing I made clear inquiry about the chain. Answer was that the chain was checked and there was no need to change it. I took their word for it, figure out, what the hell, this is not Serbia, it is Switzerland... what a mistake.

I came around cleaning the chain first time in my life and first time for NC as well (total of 400 km only since purchase, though almost all of the time during rain and even some sleet). I have discovered these markings on the pictures below

chain.jpg

chain2.jpg

chain3.jpg

Needless to say, I have contacted this morning directly Honda Switzerland to ask about. First reply was that the chain was shanged last year when the whole recall fuss started. But when i confronted them with detail markings on the chain not coresponding to the chain being changed, they have changed the story. Below is their reply:

"... we understand your concern and question.
we explained the situation to your dealer Honda Genève Centre, and asked him to contact you to fix an appointment to have your vehicle checked.
Our dealer will check your vehicle to make sure that the secondary chain is at countermeasure level, and in case of doubt replace the chain.
The recall affecting NC700 was affecting secondary chains supplied by RK for initial mass production only !
The recall consists to check the secondary chain marks and identify if it is supplied by RK or DID. If an RK chain was factory fitted, then it required a replacement by a countermeasure part.
Initially the supplier of C/M chains was DID until RK adapted it's parts production to the required C/M level.

So far today both suppliers, DID and RK supply parts which are at required countermeasure level ! So possibly if your chain requires replacement it could again be an RK supplied chain.
We are convinced that our dealer Honda Genève Centre will take appropriate actions to have your vehicle inspected and if required fixed with a new secondary chain !..."

I put in bold the comment which might be relevant for anyone purchasing now NC700's and receiving it with the "RK" markings on the chain but without "Japan" on it as well. Judging by above comment, it means that those now are coresponding to Honda standards.

Going this Friday to change it.

Was thinking that this post might as well go to the "crappy dealers" section, but looks like more of the use here to the community

I just bought my bike Saturday. I'm glad I stumbed on this site. I will be checking my bike before I leave the parking lot today.

I went to the bike shop today for another reason, but I was checking out the slack on my chain.
The shop owner immediately thought I was concerned about the chain and instructed his mechanic to check my chain once more (it was checked months ago with an official Honda letter).
So he confirmed my chain is ok.
He also checked the chain tension when I asked him, such a nice garage.
:D

BTW, I have over 5000km of "spirited" riding on this bike with this chain, nothing has happened to it.
:p

Yep same mileage as mine, though I'm responsible for only 400km.
I'm thinking I might have been harsh in my addressing to Honda Switzerland, so they alarmed all dealers to be on the lookout ;)

Back