• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Check Your Tire Pressure

Naked_Duc

Reaction score
Visit site
Checking tire pressure is something that I should be doing more often but I don't. Going forward, I might make it as part a routine when I lube the chain.

After a long colder-than-usual winter in the PNW and a record breaking wet March, I finally got around to wash the NCX and give the chain a really good scrub and lube. While I was at it, I thought I'd check the tire pressure, too, since the last time I checked was last fall. The rear tire was 30 psi. No problem. Checked the front. 10 PSI?!?!?! I was really surprised and then feeling a bit fortunate that there hadn't been any mishaps running on essentially a flat tire.

I filled up both tires to 36 psi and went for a quick spin around the neighborhood. The bike felt instantly more agile and more maneuverable. The turn-in is responsive and PRECISE! I guess the loss of tire pressure was so gradual over the winter that I didn't even notice it. Now that the tires are properly filled, it's as if the NCX has gotten a brand new life.

On the way to work today, I went down the same long and steep downhill as I always do. Typically (as of last week), the bike would go 41mph with engine brake in 5th gear. This AM, the NCX went up to 45mph in 5th gear. Rough math, that meant my "flat" tire was taking away 10% of my MPG. I can't wait to see what my mileage is at the end of the week when I fill up.

Anyway. The lesson learned is - CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE OFTEN! :)

800km already? Did you have a snow plow attached to the front of your bike? LOL

I still average about 800miles a month, even thru the winter. This past year was the first for me to go year-round.

I find I'm always mentally reminding myself to check my tire pressure but if I were honest I'd say I probably only check it every two weeks. Maybe three.

I always do a general "Preflight" check of my bikes before a ride, but hypocritically, I totally fail on the tire pressure check thing with any consistency...:rolleyes: :eek:

I think I need to be more watchful in this regard, thanks for the reminder N Duc :)

Always a per check before every ride.I was at a bike shop once,I was checking the turn signels and had a guy ask me if I was a truck driver because I was checking lights. Said nope just safe then sorry.

I check my pressures every time I ride. Shit happens. Being anal about this items helps shit stop.

Me too, got one of these:

Amazon.com: Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS): Automotive

Works great if you wire it hot because the rechargeable battery stopped holding a decent charge after a month or so. It's mounted right under my instrument cluster. Sometimes I have to ride a block to get it to register both tires, but normally that happens before I'm out of the driveway.

tmps-small.jpg

PLUS, you would be amazed at the pressure change due to the tires heating up.

Amazon.com: Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS): Automotive

Works great if you wire it hot because the rechargeable battery stopped holding a decent charge after a month or so. It's mounted right under my instrument cluster. Sometimes I have to ride a block to get it to register both tires, but normally that happens before I'm out of the driveway.

View attachment 16553

I've been wanting to get one of those things, but I've had a hard time finding one that people actually recommend.

I might get one of those when I'm due for another set of tires. That way I can mount the metal valve stems first.

sent from a singars radio

I've been wanting to get one of those things, but I've had a hard time finding one that people actually recommend.

I might get one of those when I'm due for another set of tires. That way I can mount the metal valve stems first.

sent from a singars radio

I have bought the metal valve stems, but haven't installed them yet, so the monitors have been on the stock ones for 8 months now. I've had it up to 95 MPH with no evidence of stem damage so far as I can tell. No doubt that metal stems would be better though!

The recommended pressure is for cold tire pressure, right? Would it work if I were to mount this monitor on the wall of my garage? I only want to check the pressure before I head out.

I check my tire pressure twice a week, unless I see any change in pressure. I've put on over 2,500 miles on so far this year, but that will increase a lot since the temps are rising. I would like to get a TPM system someday after I do some research on them.

The recommended pressure is for cold tire pressure, right? Would it work if I were to mount this monitor on the wall of my garage? I only want to check the pressure before I head out.

Yes on the temp. The garage? That's the way I used it at first, but you have to move the bike a little to get the monitors to register sometimes. It's much easier on the bike.

I use these for exactly the problem the original poster mentions. Modern tyres look perfect even when they are badly deflated. people knock these valve caps for various reasons (wheel balance, risk of failure etc) but I have been using them on 4 cars and 4 or 5 bikes for the past 5 years and no problems so far. On two of my past bikes and my wife's car they often show unexpectedly red (she has Toyota and the rims corrode and leak). I don't use them as a replacement for checking 36 and 42 psi reasonably regularly, but I glance at them before every ride to see if I have got a slow puncture.
Mike
41nCn2LegbL._SY300_.jpg

Back