• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chirping noise

PolkaPig578

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike makes a chirping or squeaking noise when clutch engaged, is louder when lugging engine, doesn’t make noise when clutch is disengaged. Tried adjusting clutch lever since clutch may have been slipping but that didn’t solve issue. Just wondering if the noise is normal or not. I can take a vid of the noise if it helps.

How's your chain tension? Too tight or too loose?

Sorry for not being more clear. I made an assumption that with the clutch disengaged, you are typically coasting, and with the clutch engaged, the engine is under load. When in motion, coasting or accelerating would determine if the final drive chain is slack across the top or across the bottom of it's run.

I may be way off base here, but drive chains makes lots of noises, so it would be good to know that the chain slack is in spec before pursuing other possible causes.

Check your chain for kinks...if the chain has kinks, it could hit a little tab on the inside of the front sprocket cover and it makes a kinda chirping, clunking sound...and if the chain is too loose, can do the same thing...reach down on pull the bottom chain up,,,if it touches the swing arm easily...it is too loose...

I believe chain is in spec I check it at least 1 time per week if not before every ride. I’ll check it again tonight, maybe I have the wrong number that I’ve been comparing it to. Isn’t it 1.5”?

It
I believe chain is in spec I check it at least 1 time per week if not before every ride. I’ll check it again tonight, maybe I have the wrong number that I’ve been comparing it to. Isn’t it 1.5”?
It’s in the owner’s manual and probably on a sticker on the chain guard. 30-40 mm at midpoint between sprockets, bike on the sidestand is what I remember.

30-40mm is correct...but the culprit could be kinks in the chain....they can appear quickly.

Checked chain slack and it was a bit loose. Tightened it and went for a ride then tightened it again since it loosened slightly after my ride. Chirping noise is still there :(

When I hear a chirp, my first thought usually goes to checking the brakes, but I'm not sure here since the noise changes when the clutch is engaged/disengaged. Does it sound like the noise is from inside the clutch assembly (engine area) or from a wheel?

Curious, also does the bike have a center-stand, and is it possible to recreate the noise while turning either wheel by hand?

-Saturday

Found it I think. My clutch lever cable was tight and I think the clutch may have been slipping. Loosened up cable with adjustment bolt and noise has seemed to go away.

I did that years ago with my first bike and cooked the clutch. It was ok for a while then it started slipping. Thanks for the update.

Back