• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Clear/smoked tail light lens?

TacomaJD

Reaction score
Visit site
Caught this bike on Craigslist, at a good deal might I add, $2200 with Shoei helmet and jacket, 23k miles, manual 6 speed. Seems like a killer deal really. Anyways, noticed it has a smoked looking tail light. I saw on ebay where they sell LED tail light replacements that have integrated turn signals in it, but I ain't really wanting to go that far with mine. I would like a clear or smoked lens if they made one though. Not even sure how it's made, may not even have a removable lens. Anybody changed theirs like this? I just think it looks cleaner than the big red tail light.

a05bc266937ff690f1b4a473c9ff72f1.jpg

346089692c11eb9354dfad7971d63b80.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For me, I don't mind the stock rear light assembly; I'd rather something bigger so that The lights are clearer for the traffic around me to see. Unless it's silly bright, I'd personally be happier with the default...

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

I want the traffic behind be to see that big ugly brake light...Those little bitty, dark colored lenses gives the idiot cagers more excuses "I didnt see him, or I didnt notice him slowing down" I dont see the rear when riding anyways...but then I am way the past age of things having to look 'cool'...and personally, I wished the turn signals were bigger, not smaller...hmm, just gave me an idea, a strobed, amber light on the rear when braking or turning...hmmm

+1 for visibility.

I’ve been behind many motorcycles that look nice with the small design tail light and turn indicators. Also with clear lenses. As a driver, they are hard to see.

I prefer as much visual lighting and colors as reasonably possible. Without the big red lens, the eye and brain of the driver following behind you does not have a focal point and may not notice a change in brightness. This goes double for the bikes that relocate the brake light down by the rear axle on the side of the tire. It is in an unconventional place that drivers are not used to noticing. Although legal, it may increase your risk of an accident.

JT

.hmm, just gave me an idea, a strobed, amber light on the rear when braking or turning...hmmm
I run two Whelen TIR3 red strobes set to blink rapidly in concert with the rear brake lamp. They are programmable, allowing you to select a bunch of different patterns. Mine currently will do three ultra bright blinks/second and then pause and repeat. Might put another pair below the plate and have them wig-wag.

IMG_6258.jpg

IMG_6260.jpg
]

TIR3™ & LIN3™ Series Super-LED(R) Lightheads - Whelen Engineering Automotive

Last edited:
Ermax Fender Eliminator is an option that really makes it look decent. Of course, the downside is that you'll get more spray on your back in wet weather etc.

ermax-fender-eliminator.jpg
Since I put my bags and rear carrier on it, the wasp butt looking fender doesn't bother me as bad, it actually looks normal. I browsed fender eliminator kits when I first bought the NC, but decided against it for now.

And I can tell I am far different from the majority demographic here Lol. Everybody wanting larger/more lighting, that's usually right the opposite with what I'm used to seeing. We always wanted to clean it up and get rid of stuff like rear fenders, stalk blinkers, red or amber lenses, etc. LOL.

Now that I'm a little older, those things don't bother me near as much as they used to, but a clear or smoked lens on a silver bike would look much cleaner to me and still retain PLENTY tail and brake lighting, all personal preference there...

I usedto try to make my bikes look really cool by changing things up, but after almost getting rear ended a number of times, I’m into more lights and visibility.

The ability to walk and breathe trumps slick tail lights.

JT

I usedto try to make my bikes look really cool by changing things up, but after almost getting rear ended a number of times, I’m into more lights and visibility.

The ability to walk and breathe trumps slick tail lights.

JT

The same theory could be applied by just driving a car instead of a motorcycle to eliminate even more risk. Lol

The same theory could be applied by just driving a car instead of a motorcycle to eliminate even more risk. Lol

True. I acknowledge that I am accepting more risk riding a motorcycle vs driving a car.
I wear a reflective and hi-vis jacket when I ride to help my visibility to others. I also took a motorcycle safety course to learn new riding techniques to help keep me safe. All these things help reduce risk.
No, it won’t eliminate someone texting or running a red light, but anything I can do, that I have control over, helps.

JT

True. I acknowledge that I am accepting more risk riding a motorcycle vs driving a car.
I wear a reflective and hi-vis jacket when I ride to help my visibility to others. I also took a motorcycle safety course to learn new riding techniques to help keep me safe. All these things help reduce risk.
No, it won’t eliminate someone texting or running a red light, but anything I can do, that I have control over, helps.

JT

I was just busting your balls man Lol. It's all about finding the level of risk you are comfortable with.

Smoked lenses never made sense to me, it reduces the effectiveness of the tail lights. In certain conditions it makes them harder to see.

Smoked lenses never made sense to me, it reduces the effectiveness of the tail lights. In certain conditions it makes them harder to see.
Super dark smoke, maybe slightly....but usually they come in light smoke and are just as effective as oem. Just looks cleaner when not illuminated. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, just like how hi-viz gear and extra lighting isn't my cup of tea.

Back