• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Clunking sound before and after DCT shifts

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
I left my house today and I noticed a weird clunking sound. It sounded exactly like the sound the DCT makes when it shifts into gear just softer. It was doing it in 1st-3rd gear and I also heard it clearly right before it would shift and right after it would shift. Almost like one clutch disconnected and was bouncing off a gear before it finally caught.

It seemed to stop after a few miles but I could occasionally hear a similar sound if I let off the gear quickly even if it didnt downshift. On the way home I didnt notice it really.

It was really hot today and my oil is probably way past changing. Im going to do that tomorrow. Could bad oil do that?

Thought?

Thanks for any info

Mike

I believe it could ... I’m due for changing the oil soon and can feel rougher shifts and sometimes louder shifts especially when oil is cold and low viscosity

Usually cold generally makes for clunkier transmission behavior, not hot.

When you say the oil is due for changing, I’m curious how many miles are on the existing oil? 3,000, 8,000, 12,000? Personally, I never notice any change in engine/tranny operation based on oil age, but then, I don’t ride a DCT.

Last edited:
Usually cold generally makes for clunkier transmission behavior, not hot.

When you say the oil is due for changing, I’m curious how many miles are on the existing oil? 3,000, 8,000, 12,000? Personally, I never notice any change in engine/tranny operation based on oil age, but then, I don’t ride a DCT.

not that old, about 12000 KM but it could just be psychological and paranoia in my head :) I'm not the original poster but for me I do notice when it's colder it shifts rougher overall until the oil warms up and that I know it's normal...

The Oil is old from time not miles. I didnt do my spring oil change and have just been putting it off. So I know its old oil.

The DCT is affected by the oil as its shared. Ive noticed a smoother shift after an oil change but nothing this rough.

I drove it today to get oil and noticed if I just let off the throttle it gets clunky even if its not shifting. This made me start looking into the chain but it doesnt seem to be loose or have any major kinks. It does need to be changed to though. So maybe its time to do that as well.

I was a naysayer for a long time to the idea of the DCT clutch recalibration as something to do from time to time to smooth out the DCT operation but I recently performed this procedure and it did make a noticeable difference in shift smoothness. You might try it and see what it does for you. It can't hurt anything.

DCT Clutch Calibration

I was a naysayer for a long time to the idea of the DCT clutch recalibration as something to do from time to time to smooth out the DCT operation but I recently performed this procedure and it did make a noticeable difference in shift smoothness. You might try it and see what it does for you. It can't hurt anything.

DCT Clutch Calibration

very true indeed and thanks for the reminder.

Back