• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

clutch cable getting stiff and adjustment - Honda modification

bluecray

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike went in for a service, I mentioned, I'd had to adjust clutch cable a few times I just thought cable had stretched, and it wasn't fraying

Went to pick bike up and was told, they'd replaced my cable bracket with a new one, a Honda modification because the previous bracket made a sharp bend in cable and a new updated bracket gives the cable a much better route.

Clutch now feels really light and easy!!

BUT I had to pay labour and the bracket itself feeling a little annoyed as Honda should have ensured bike is good with all the prototype testing they do surely????

They say it's not a safety issue so it's not a recall

Going to complain to customer services!

My bike is two years old and am in the UK

What do others make of this??

I looked and looked for a clutch cable on my bike to no avail. The same thieves who stole the clutch cable must have also stolen the clutch lever. In spite of that, the bike seems to go OK after I put it in "D" so apparently I didn't need those parts! ;)

Bluecray........Likely this modified bracket is specific to the S model ?????????? What was the part number of the replacement part ?

Bike went in for a service, I mentioned, I'd had to adjust clutch cable a few times I just thought cable had stretched, and it wasn't fraying

Went to pick bike up and was told, they'd replaced my cable bracket with a new one, a Honda modification because the previous bracket made a sharp bend in cable and a new updated bracket gives the cable a much better route.

Clutch now feels really light and easy!!

BUT I had to pay labour and the bracket itself feeling a little annoyed as Honda should have ensured bike is good with all the prototype testing they do surely????

At the engine clutch pull, a bracket is attached to the engine by two bolts and has enough room to adjust the clutch for eternity. How this adjustment is done does have a big effect on clutch pull pressure.

I can not see Honda ever warranting this part.

You need to have a talk with the dealer!

At the engine clutch pull, a bracket is attached to the engine by two bolts and has enough room to adjust the clutch for eternity. How this adjustment is done does have a big effect on clutch pull pressure.

!

Disagree...........it does not matter if clutch free play is adjusted at the engine bracket or at the handle bar adjuster it has NO EFFECT on the pull pressure.........it only changes the free play.

Clutch pull effort is related to the cable friction, the clutch lever action ( the lever length at both ends change the mechanical advantage gained ) and the internal clutch springs.

From the OP description it sounds like the cable routing is changing tension or sharp bend is changed that might cause excessive cable friction that effecting the clutch pull effort. More info is needed or a picture of the parts changed.

Last edited:
As the clutch cable goes past the headstock using a bracket ( forming a tight S bend)via a bit of a tight route, I suspect that is the bracket which has been modified. I will go and see my dealer about it as I have contacted Honda UK but had no success with their customer department. If the bracket is not part of the cable, I will reroute it to make a smoother run.

Snipped...

Honda calls it a Product Update, not a recall. I would definitely check with Honda UK bout being charged for the work that was done.

I looked and looked for a clutch cable on my bike to no avail. The same thieves who stole the clutch cable must have also stolen the clutch lever. In spite of that, the bike seems to go OK after I put it in "D" so apparently I didn't need those parts! ;)

You DCT guys are looking in the wrong place. The clutch cable is that bundle of electrical wires connected to those actuators on the right side.

I suspect the dealer is being untruthful with you.

If the clutch cable is misrouted at a tight angle it could cause an issue, similarly a poorly lubricated clutch cable could be stiff.

I would contact Honda and raise a complaint ticket regarding the dealer of the machine was in warranty, especially if they were the original supplier.

I have been to my dealer and there is an update for the NC700 ( S model only)It is not listed by Honda UK as an update and my dealer (C.G. Chell at Stafford) took quite a while to find the details. The original cable route is diabolical - it literally goes through a tight S shape at the rear of the headstock. I will try the update and also, try rerouting the clutch cable via the front of the headstock to make a smoother route. I suffer from arthritis and find it painful when using the clutch lever so any kind of update would be an improvement.

Last edited:
Old thread / posts I'm aware , but.
If your clutch cable ( mine is a manual transmission ) has a binding feel while attempting an adjustment , look at the cable prior to the locknut. Your cable could have a downward arch (per se) causing the adjustment barrel to bind......feeling difficult to move / actuate. The cable needs to have a small amount of "straightness" prior to routing down towards the steering head. I've ran into this. Ride on

Back