• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Clutch lever adjustment

LanceK

Reaction score
Visit site
If I use two fingers to pull my clutch lever, it mechanically disengages the transmission from the engine as it should, but the bike still thinks the clutch isn’t fully pulled in. I’m other words, if I have the bike off and clutch pulled in with two fingers I can roll the bike around, but the bike will not start unless I use all my fingers and pull the clutch lever all the way back to the grip. There appears to be no slack in the cable. Is this normal, or can it be fixed in some way? At some point before I got the bike, the clutch lever was replaced, so not sure if that has something to do with it.

If I use two fingers to pull my clutch lever, it mechanically disengages the transmission from the engine as it should, but the bike still thinks the clutch isn’t fully pulled in. I’m other words, if I have the bike off and clutch pulled in with two fingers I can roll the bike around, but the bike will not start unless I use all my fingers and pull the clutch lever all the way back to the grip. There appears to be no slack in the cable. Is this normal, or can it be fixed in some way? At some point before I got the bike, the clutch lever was replaced, so not sure if that has something to do with it.
Short answer is that the engagement point of the interlock switch is not adjustable.

You would need to alter the design, add shims or spacers, remount the switch, or whatever to alter that engagement point. The clutch lever switch is fixed to engage when the lever is nearly pulled in all the way. That is the logical way for Honda to set it, since Honda doesn’t know how much slack the end user might allow in their clutch cable adjustment.

If the replacement lever was an OEM part, it would have contributed nothing to your concern. However if an aftermarket lever was installed, it may have altered the engagement point of the clutch lever interlock switch.

I am simply in the habit that when I’m starting the engine, I always pull the clutch lever all the way (to engage the switch). Other than when servicing the bike, I ALWAYS start it in gear, not in neutral. I HATE the neutral to first gear clunk. If I forgot and did start the engine in neutral, I will shut the engine off, engage first, then restart the engine. It’s just how I am, because again, I hate that crunchy clunk of engaging first from a stop on a running cold engine.

Reactions: MZ5
Back