• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Clutch went out!

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
My clutch went out 2 days ago. New clutch coming from Chicago. Truly amazing how many honey-do's my wife has me doing during this no ride time. Guess I better keep doing the honey-do's from hell, if I want her to install my new clutch when it gets here on Friday.

Yeah Old, what're you at - about 50,000 miles now?

My wife was with my son at the dentist office when I called her to come get me. My son was in the chair getting a root canal. So, he was of no help. Wife went home , got the trailer, drove to the hill country, and help me load Nana Chou. I was in Uhland, Texas. Only 192 miles from home. Good thing I was close to home!

002.jpg

Yes, I am over 50,000 miles.

Last edited:
That's disturbing. I'm at about 35K and have started to think about the clutch. I'm at the stage of not being sure if it's my imagination or that it feels different than it used to.

Over the years I have heard a lot of folks say they hear something from the clutch area. Usually when a clutch goes out you get no warning, it just goes out. It does make a slipping-squeal noise once the springs are not pushing the plates together, but you usually do not hear that squeal noise until after the clutch is gone. Every time I have had a clutch go, never an advance warning noise.

The parts if after market for this bike cost around $150. EBC complete clutch assembly on Amazon is $102.52, part number SRK62. EBC clutch removal tool on Amazon for this clutch is $17.33, part number CT013SP, new oil is about $25 everywhere, and last but not lease is the Honda cover gasket that I have not been able to find, yet! Should anyone be able to find where I can get this Honda side cover gasket please let me know where! Not anywhere I can find on Honda NC700x microfiche. I need a part number. Honda could be using Pro Honda Hondabond HT, Part# 1378020001, but I will not know until I tear it down.

Last edited:
Subscribed so if I ever have to do a clutch job I have some guidance from those who have been through it before. Please keep the updates coming!

50,000 miles is a good mileage, on my various Hondas, I change around at max 40,000 with a mix of suburb HW and downtown.

I'm thinking Honda Bond on that cover OCR. If it's on the oil pan (and it is) then a side cover should be a piece of cake.

If you get a chance, take some pics for us newbies. I'd like to see how hard it is.

TBH I am surprised to hear that a clutch has failed after 50,000 miles. I wonder if there is anyone else out there with such mileage on their bikes ?

That's disturbing. I'm at about 35K and have started to think about the clutch. I'm at the stage of not being sure if it's my imagination or that it feels different than it used to.

Hmm, +1. I'm right at 35k and I'd swear it feels a little 'off' lately. I figured it was my imagination too... I'm surprised it went out at 50k, that seems awfully low for a bike clutch.

Keep us posted OCR, I'm curious if the actual friction plates have worn out or if it's something else.

trey

TBH I am surprised to hear that a clutch has failed after 50,000 miles. I wonder if there is anyone else out there with such mileage on their bikes ?

Over the years I have seen the motorcycle clutch last from 2 hours (Drag Strip) to 100,000 (Touring) miles depending on how used. My 1978 Goldwing went over 100,000 per clutch. It really comes down to the motorcycle's design of the clutch and how the motorcycle is driven.

Last edited:
Installing new Clutch

Step One:
The clutch plates are a cork based material similar to original parts and must be soaked for a few hours in manufacturers recommended drive case oil before installation.

001.jpg

Step Two:

Drain the oil in your motorcycle's crank case.

Naturally, I had just changed my oil the day before the clutch went out. Lucky me, I now get to do it again.

Step Three :

Remove Crankcase cover

Remove overflow hose, clutch cover bolts, clutch cable, and right crankcase bolts. I try to always lay my bolts out in the order I removed the bolts.

009.jpg

Back