• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cold commute

showkey

Super Mods
Reaction score
Visit site
A little cool :eek:on the commute today.....my heated vest had a hard time keeping up:

IMG_2240.JPGIMG_2243.JPG

BUT the sun was warm

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Holy Crap! I thought I was nuts. LOL. I may need to invest in a heated vest. That might be just the edge I need to combat the under 20F temperatures.

Cold temps are one thing but snow and ice keeps my NC in the garage. Be careful!! There were a lot of cages in the ditch near me and some were upside down. Its hard enough
riding with the texters on dry pavement.

I admire those of you who ride in such cold temps. You're amazingly brave, and maybe a little crazy. Even if I had heated gear I'm not sure I would ride in sub freezing temps simply because of the possibility of hitting a patch of ice. So, my hat's off to those of you who do it. Like Dennis M, being retired I can sit by the fire and keep warm, on days like that. Then again we never get days like that (sub zero) on the Oregon coast.

I've started using my NC700 to commute to work (8 miles) but also to move between sites. I have to move from school to school in the tech work I do, and I'm enjoying life! Nothing clears the mind or cheers my spirit like a short ride on MAC. (nc700x nick name short for Middle Aged Crazy)

Of course, this is So. California, so the morning commute temp is 45 on it's way to 70 for the rest of the day!

OK, , Showkey, , , -17 is Cold!! It's a little after 10pm in N GA and I'm looking at 9 above!!

That's "Stay Inside" DAMN Cold to us Jawgins :)

Big respect from the UK - you guys are badass - frontier spirit and all that I guess (in a truely stereotypical view of the USA) - mate I see snow and I reach for the car keys - mind I do have a bad back so fear have to pick the NC up - :D

I love these cold-weather commuting stories and threads. Good job riding in those kind of temps! I love all-season riders, and don't understand those who will only ride in ideal conditions. I call them fair-weather riders. The rest of us are "real" riders.

I bought my CTX700 to commute; not to sit and store all winter, but this is some kind of winter so far. Before I purchased some heated gloves, I learned through experience that around 28 degrees farenheit was my pain-threshold limit with regular winter gloves. Last year, on my scooter, I once tried to a commute around 25 degrees, and I had to stop twice to warm up my fingers to slow the numbness and pain, because I didn't buy my bike to hurt either.

Late this fall, I purchased some WarmThru Fingerheater G5 battery-powered heated gloves (two batteries per glove), and now I just put the charged batteries in the pouches; turn them on; velcro them in the pouches; put them on, and now I'm good down to at least 17 degrees for my 35 minute, one way commute. Last winter I owned a Piaggio BV350 scooter. I had purchased a First-Gear cold-weather/rain suit for around $170. It is not armored, but it definitely does the job of keeping my body warm in the cold with a couple of layers underneath. I work outside, so I need the layers anyway when I get where I'm going. Sometimes, for the commute back home, I'll take off some of those underlayers if it has warmed up. The helmet and and suit together do an adequate job down to 17 at least, and the gloves take care of the fingers. I may add a thin balaclava, because I do get a little numbness and stinging on my cheecks, but other than that, I think I'm going to stop with the insanity with the equipment I have and cut off my commutes below 15. Heated gear is so expensive and such a hassle, and in Tennessee, one would think that making my ride comfortable down to the upper teens should be good enough to ride almost every, non-slick road day. But like everyone knows across middle America and the north east, this has not been a typical winter so far.

Anyway, the only issue I have now with being where I want to be for winter commuting is luggage capacity. I've got a 42-liter, knock off-brand, top case. I need more room for large items. I strap my top case directly behind me on the seat. The biggest problem with my top case is the height. If I put my helmet in there, everything else has to go around it, because it is just barely tall enough for my helmet, which means, if my helmet is in there, nothing else big can go in there. Adding saddle bags or side cases wouldn't do much to give me room for my jackets and other winter gear, so I'm looking at a large tool box or tote. Since my top case is going to be directly behind me on the seat, it can be taller without affecting handling, so now I'm looking at luggage that is 65-75 liters. I'm looking at a Dewalt Toolbox DWST08204.https://www.google.com/search?q=dew...ol-Case-DWST08204-NEW-%2F281041021542;800;800Bestem Top Box Left Side.jpg

I've done sub freezing but this morning was 12F here in SC. I couldn't chance hitting ice and I don't have heated gear.

Gigs

A little cool :eek:on the commute today.....my heated vest had a hard time keeping up:

View attachment 10785View attachment 10786

BUT the sun was warm

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

No way Showkey! You must mean that your heated vest had a hard time keeping up while plugged into the dashboard of your cage. There wasn't a dry non treacherous stretch of road anywhere around here yesterday. Tell me you didn't ride.

No way Showkey! You must mean that your heated vest had a hard time keeping up while plugged into the dashboard of your cage. There wasn't a dry non treacherous stretch of road anywhere around here yesterday. Tell me you didn't ride.

7.jpg

I just can not remember the last time we had snow or ice on the road here! Shame?

SmileyRider.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
It was -24 deg F here last night. -50 something with windchill. I road my bike in the snow on Sunday in a parking lot to play, but I can't muster up the courage to ride it on the street seeing as how all of the snow is getting packed in and freezing now... My awd truck slid into a snowbank today going downhill; steering did nothing so found a nice patch of snow to try to ram.

It was -24 deg F here last night. -50 something with windchill. I road my bike in the snow on Sunday in a parking lot to play, but I can't muster up the courage to ride it on the street seeing as how all of the snow is getting packed in and freezing now... My awd truck slid into a snowbank today going downhill; steering did nothing so found a nice patch of snow to try to ram.

9.jpg

Today's Winter Weather Forecast

[video=youtube;8ohwfHX_ff4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ohwfHX_ff4[/video]

smileystar.jpg

Last edited:
Back