• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cold start noticed a few tiny coolant drips on the floor. Coming from water pump area.

backwards1

Reaction score
Visit site
Just changed the oil and then started the engine up for the first time in a few weeks to let the oil circulate into the filter, etc. Noticed a few tiny specs of coolant drips from water pump area while I was looking for any general oil drips from bolt/filter. Not a lot came out for the 3mins I idled the bike. 30mins later I wheeled the bike out into the driveway and let it idle for 10mins and noticed no drips at all this time from where I saw it coming from. Is there anything that possibly could have caused the drip of the coolant when the oil pressure was low for those first few seconds on the empty oil filter? Just wondering if there is something outside my knowledge that would cause a leak briefly or maybe completely separate unrelated factors. I'd assume the oil change, cold start on empty oil filter would have nothing to do with the coolant drips but just reaching for a maybe situation. Weird the coolant drips aren't occurring now. Coolant reservoir is full and haven't noticed any drips on the floor before or after this. The picture is from the front of the MC where the water pump is located.

Attachments

• NC700X coolant leak.jpg
    NC700X coolant leak.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
In the NC700X shop manual on 8-11 it states something similar to:

Observe the bleed hole of the water pump for signs of coolant leaking.

-A minor volume of weeping coolant from this bleed hole is the norm.

-Check that there is no continuous leaks from this bleed hole while running the engine.

Today 5 days later I idled the bike for 10mins and the same as before. Nothing at first for the first minute and then I notice a few tiny specs of coolant on the cardboard below it and a drip or two from the bleed hole. I can't see this hole though but it's the same exact area in the manual.

What is the purpose of this bleed hole? Is this a over pressure hole? Does it auto bleed out air? Not sure it's purpose. Thanks to both for your suggestions this week.

Basically I would agree that it is a non issue. My CRF has done it from new as did my former 250. Just one point. I tend to start the motor immediately after an oil change to circulate the oil rather than leave it a "few weeks" to do so.

Back