• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Compressor polarity

Lofty

Reaction score
Visit site
Just taken delivery of the touch and go mini compressor to stow on my NC700x, connected it to my 2 pin SAE flying lead which is direct to the battery, comp runs but no LED, so polarity is opposite on the comp to the flying lead? my lead is + to the shrouded pin. The comp as wired will require the + to be the uninsulated bare pin on the battery supply lead and I dont fancy that, also does this mean that the stated 10amp inline fuse will now be be on the - side in the compressor with my arrangement? its a USA product so I think some will be familiar with it. Phil
ps is the inline fuse iside the compressor body?

Not sure exactly what you have but I purchased this Stop & Go Mini Air Compressor - --/-- : Amazon.com : Automotive some time back and the LED doesn't function either. I called the manufacturer and they stated that some of the units' LED's didn't work for some odd reason but didn't seem to think it was a polarity issue as the compressor worked. I've used mine a couple times without the LED functioning and it's worked fine but NO LED.

Yes ron700 it is the same compressor, in the case was this statement.
Each of these units have been
inspected and tested in the
USA. If your LED does not
illuminate it is due to the polarity
incompatibility with your tender
wire.

I feel that their is only one safe way to connect the SAE 2 pin lead to the battery and this makes the insulated socket live, this is then opposite polarity to the comp, so which side is it fused on? going to have to take a closer look unless somebody out there has the answer already?
Checked the cigar lighter adapter lead and this also makes the exposed pin live. Phil.

If the polarity was backwards the compressor wouldn't function at all. The bike is dc not ac

Been and had a play with the compressor, the motor runs on either polarity so is probably an ac motor with diodes to switch dc? but LED only lights when dc supply is reversed.
(this is about the limit of my electrical knowledge)

If it is a brushless permanent magnet DC motor, it will run backwards with full power if connected with reverse polarity. If the compressor valves are spring loaded poppet valves, the compressor will work just as well in reverse as forward. The only possible issue is if there is a shaft-mounted cooling fan that would not properly cool the motor in the opposite direction. The LED would only light with correct polarity as the "D" stands for diode and a diode only conducts in one direction. As long as the compressor frame is not grounded to the frame of the motorcycle, the fuse will work properly, even though it will be in the grounded leg of the circuit.

Reader's Digest version: It will probably work fine but the LED will not work.

Back