• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Connecting components to switched power

freek_fissa

Reaction score
Visit site
Recently I've bought myself a Honda NC750X (2016), and I'm interested in connecting some accesoires such as a USB charger and heated grips.

Therefore I've been studying on an (accessory) sub harness which has taken me about 3 hours now and I'm starting to get it, is there a difference between the accessory sub harness and just a sub harness?
I now know I should buy the fuse + relay kit in any case, that part seems clear to me.

Where I'm struggling is actually connecting something to switched power. I should know where to find the 6-pin connector (left side of the bike, after removing 1 panel), but I'm not sure how it's connected at the moment. In the instructions I discovered it should be unplugged to connect it to the sub harness (right?). I'm still wondering if I'm unplugging it from a dummy connector or not, in other words, what is that 6-pin connector doing right now? Is it just sitting around waiting for me to use it, or is it already functioning (assuming the relay and fuse were already connected of course).

Also, I mentioned switched power previously. When connecting the sub harness to the previously unplugged 6-pin connector, would I immediately have access to power ONLY when the ignition is turned on through the 2- or 3 pin connectors?

I know connecting these previously mentioned accessoires could be connected straight to the battery, and it would save me from a lot of struggling, but I'm way to scared off forgetting to turn something off and draining my battery. Therefore I want only switched power.

I hope someone could help me on this topic!

EDIT: changed accessory harness instances to sub harness

Last edited:
You should post the model year of your bike as the wiring has changed slightly over the years. I’m making some assumptions about your exact bike, but in general I’ll say that the 6-pin connector is doing nothing now, waiting for you to connect an accessory harness to it. Without the relay and fuse, there is no accessory voltage on the 6 pin connector. When the fuse and relay are installed, any designated 12 volt accessory pins on that connector will be at 12 volts (referenced to ground) only when the motorcycle key is turned on. The total current available at all of those 12 volt accessory pins combined will be limited by the fuse rating, which on my NC700X was 7.5 amps.

You are wise to use switched power for USB outlets, because they generally draw current all the time. Connecting the USB outlet directly to the battery could slowly drain the battery if the motorcycle was unused for a long period.

Start with these videos I made when adding a fuse block to my bike.
I tapped into the sub harness to get the switched power for the accessory fuse block I got from Eastern Beaver..
As mentioned above, the accessory Honda relay kit is limited to 7.5A
The Eastern Beaver kit allows up to 60A, as it is connected directly to the battery.

@670cc
Thanks, I've edited my original post to include the model year :)
Good to have confirmation about the connector for now. It seemed strange to me when the instructions online told the user to disconnect the 6-pin connector and just leave that socket empty there. As I understand now, it's a dummy connector so it doesn't matter.

@bigbird
Great! I've watched the top two, so there was still one I missed haha!
Will watch that now!

On my 2018, there is also an unused accessory connector on the left-inside of the front cowl, adjacent to the fork tube. My understanding is that it's intended for OEM heated grips, and is powered-on via installation of the fuse+relay kit. It has both sides of the connector installed, so you can re-used the connector by replacing the cavity plugs in it with actual connectors and seals, as found at the very bottom of this page: http://www.cycleterminal.com/hx-series.html The connector is a Sumitomo Female HX040-3. You can either buy a new female connector with pins and seals, or just buy the pins and seals and re-use the existing blank female connector already on the bike.

Last edited:
I have used an Amplink to run all my accessories, it’s quite expensive and some people would say overkill. You just connect it to the existing wiring and add the accessories to the 6 circuits. You can then set it up with a smartphone or tablet. Voltages can be set for each accessory etc. also a delayed start time so that when starting the bike everything is turned off so that the starter gets all the available power.

Quick Question, I have a new 2021 NC 750X and am in the process of installing a Thunder Box for connecting my GPS, driving lights, PowerLet for heated clothing and gloves and an USB charging port. My question is where do you mount the Thunder Box? It was a challenge to run the power and ground wire without removing the panels but once I had enough coffee and quit the consideration of engineer think that is OK and comes out on the right side. Does anyone have a picture of their install or words of wisdom other than go to the pub?
Thanks

Quick Question, I have a new 2021 NC 750X and am in the process of installing a Thunder Box for connecting my GPS, driving lights, PowerLet for heated clothing and gloves and an USB charging port. My question is where do you mount the Thunder Box? It was a challenge to run the power and ground wire without removing the panels but once I had enough coffee and quit the consideration of engineer think that is OK and comes out on the right side. Does anyone have a picture of their install or words of wisdom other than go to the pub?
Thanks
I did a forum search on Thunder Box, and I don’t think it has ever been mentioned before on this forum. If you want ideas on where to mount it, you may need to give people some idea what is, and what shape and size it is.

I have a 2016, at first I felt reluctant to remove the panels but bit the bullet. I have now removed them for various jobs and installations and could do it blindfolded (bit of an exaggeration) but it is easier than it looks.
Check out you tube for some tips.

I did a forum search on Thunder Box, and I don’t think it has ever been mentioned before on this forum. If you want ideas on where to mount it, you may need to give people some idea what is, and what shape and size it is.
Here is an image. the device itself is about 3.5 inches long, by 1.5 inches wide and .75 inches thick. It has 5 wires coming out the end and two have connectors for plugging in gear and one is for a power source similar to a relay (which I will not be using) the other two are positive and ground. The Thunder box is designed to be attached by adhesive which was provided. Picture is attached. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• HealTech Thunder Box.jpg
    HealTech Thunder Box.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 57
I have used an Amplink to run all my accessories, it’s quite expensive and some people would say overkill. You just connect it to the existing wiring and add the accessories to the 6 circuits. You can then set it up with a smartphone or tablet. Voltages can be set for each accessory etc. also a delayed start time so that when starting the bike everything is turned off so that the starter gets all the available power.
I am doing this now on a 2021 NC750XD. How did you do the trigger? Part of my dilemma I believe is that I had the dealer install heated grips and USB charger so they may have used connectors I need; still trying to get my mind around this.

Thanks
I am installing a similiar device now on my 2021 and I decided to velcro it on the right side, not exactly sure what it is but there is a flat area just big enough to get it in there without removing the panels except for the front center cowl that covers the ignition switch. I have not wired up anything but the power at this point but I think it is going to work here.IMG_5539.JPGIMG_5540.JPG

DB6C5397-AE63-48AC-B000-92DCE448A81F.jpeg
I am doing this now on a 2021 NC750XD. How did you do the trigger? Part of my dilemma I believe is that I had the dealer install heated grips and USB charger so they may have used connectors I need; still trying to get my mind around this.
Sorry this is not going to be a great help to you. I can’t remember which ignition live I used but usually you can take one off the back lights or maybe your dealer used one for the grips.
Here’s mine, the yellow masking tape is to mark the various circuits for future reference.

Last edited:
I finished the install of my Garmin GPS and Spot Tracker handlebar mounts as well as installing a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 on my 2022 NC750X manual. Currently, I have only connected the GPS as a switched fuse and a Battery Tender lead as an always-on fuse. I got switched power (the yellow wire in the photographs) from the pink wire under the right-hand fairing. If I read the wiring diagram correctly, the pink wire is part of the tail light circuit. The Fuzeblock, itself, is velcroed into the recess at the back of the frunk with the wires coming through the existing hole for the rubber "bungee." I left a bunch of slack in the wires so that I can move the Fuzeblock to a comfortable position should I need to change a fuse. Attached are a few pictures.IMG_20220311_183646_702.jpgIMG_20220311_183646_727.jpgIMG_20220311_183646_737.jpgIMG_20220311_183646_742.jpgIMG_20220311_183646_745.jpgIMG_20220311_183646_702.jpgIMG_20220311_183646_727.jpgIMG_20220311_183646_737.jpgIMG_20220311_183646_742.jpgIMG_20220311_183646_745.jpg

Hi. I’m going through a similar project. I bought the accessories sub harness for my 2018 NC. What type of connector do you need to connect something to the sub harness? I want to connect something to the square plug (4 pins with 3 wires).
image.jpg

You should post the model year of your bike as the wiring has changed slightly over the years. I’m making some assumptions about your exact bike, but in general I’ll say that the 6-pin connector is doing nothing now, waiting for you to connect an accessory harness to it. Without the relay and fuse, there is no accessory voltage on the 6 pin connector. When the fuse and relay are installed, any designated 12 volt accessory pins on that connector will be at 12 volts (referenced to ground) only when the motorcycle key is turned on. The total current available at all of those 12 volt accessory pins combined will be limited by the fuse rating, which on my NC700X was 7.5 amps.

You are wise to use switched power for USB outlets, because they generally draw current all the time. Connecting the USB outlet directly to the battery could slowly drain the battery if the motorcycle was unused for a long period.
The 6 pin accessory socket has 5 wires connected. The accessory harness has 3 sockets at the outlet end, 2 are 2 pin 12 volt (red/white 12v switched supply and a green earth/ground wire) the third has 3 wires going to it. What is the 3 pin socket supposed to supply?

The 6 pin accessory socket has 5 wires connected. The accessory harness has 3 sockets at the outlet end, 2 are 2 pin 12 volt (red/white 12v switched supply and a green earth/ground wire) the third has 3 wires going to it. What is the 3 pin socket supposed to supply?
What is offered on the accessory harness pins is dependent on the model year and world market location of the NC. Honda has made changes to the wiring over the years, and different markets have different wiring schematics. To answer your question, the three pin socket you mentioned, on my 2012 USA model, has ground, +12 volts, and a signal that indicates if the headlight high beam is on or off. I used this high beam signal to trigger a controller for my auxiliary LED lights, so they go to 100% brightness when I turn on the high beam.

Get a schematic of your exact year, model, and country to find out what is wired to the 6P option connector

Here is an image. the device itself is about 3.5 inches long, by 1.5 inches wide and .75 inches thick. It has 5 wires coming out the end and two have connectors for plugging in gear and one is for a power source similar to a relay (which I will not be using) the other two are positive and ground. The Thunder box is designed to be attached by adhesive which was provided. Picture is attached. Thanks for the help.
Yesterday I installed my thunderbox on my 2023. it took me a while to find a good spot that would be out of the way. Looking into the frunck with the battery cover removed the best access was at the rear of the frunck liner. This location didn’t interfere with any body panels and allowed me to fish the wires and connections inside the frunck behind the battery cover.

Back