• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Considering Upgrading from Honda CBR300R

Manual mode appears to be more useful than I knew. Thanks!
Something DCT offers is learning how to exploit the abilities it offers to riders ranging from rank novice to expert. If you like learning new riding skills the DCT can expand your world. Multiple auto modes, semi auto modes or full manual, you can slip back and forth between all of these on one twisty road in order to extract the exact level of performance you are able to achieve.
You guys make excellent DCT evangelists. You’re succeeding in swaying me towards the dark si—towards Honda’s New Concept in all its glory. ;)

Manual mode appears to be more useful than I knew. Thanks!

You guys make excellent DCT evangelists. You’re succeeding in swaying me towards the dark si—towards Honda’s New Concept in all its glory. ;)
Dark side? No ...

Go into the light!

2013 NC700X DCT on the track, so you can get an idea of shifting via manual mode. It was in manual mode the whole time, using the up and down shift buttons.

Video
YouTube

I love it. I bought the bike because I am a left leg below knee amputee. I generally prioritize performance first, and would probably have been of the mindset that I wouldn't like the DCT trans and never buy one if it weren't for my leg. But....now that I have one, man it is awesome! Super handy system, auto mode allows you to enjoy the ride without shifting, and manual mode allows you to control the shifts when needed by the push of a button.

I've said it many times, if more people were given the chance to ride with the DCT for a day, more people would buy them.

530c7d10c95e0bc980d9be1f9872fc45.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
2013 NC700X DCT on the track, so you can get an idea of shifting via manual mode. It was in manual mode the whole time, using the up and down shift buttons.

Video
YouTube

I love it. I bought the bike because I am a left leg below knee amputee. I generally prioritize performance first, and would probably have been of the mindset that I wouldn't like the DCT trans and never buy one if it weren't for my leg. But....now that I have one, man it is awesome! Super handy system, auto mode allows you to enjoy the ride without shifting, and manual mode allows you to control the shifts when needed by the push of a button.

I've said it many times, if more people were given the chance to ride with the DCT for a day, more people would buy them.

530c7d10c95e0bc980d9be1f9872fc45.jpg

Great video. Shifting looks very smooth. How fast were you going?

Great video. Shifting looks very smooth. How fast were you going?

3 of the straights top speed was about 85 before getting on the brakes. The other 2 straights were shorter, before and after the only right hand turn on the track, so not that fast on those. Shifting between 3rd and 4th gears only during that vid. I think I may have geared down to 2nd once or twice when behind a slow rider in a turn in order to get a jump on them exiting the corner, otherwise 3rd was as low of a gear as I could use going into turns due to the speed I was carrying. Shifting is so smooth with the dct, I could be leaning in the middle of a corner behind a slow rider, downshift to 2nd without even letting up on the throttle, and never feel any upset in the rear whatsoever. It works very nicely.

You'll notice a large grain silo looking thing on the left side of the track on the front straight, the corner just past it is the fastest turn on the track, I'd slow from 85 down to 70 turning in, and be at around 63-65 mph at the apex, then start accelerating again.

Expanding on dduelin’s mention of DCT slowly become more popular due to acceptance, it’s also becoming less expensive. I considered a DCT NC700X back in 2012, but with an MSRP of $8999 vs the manual price of $6999, the 28.5% up charge to get a different transmission was hard to swallow. That may have contributed to lower sales numbers in the early years. I figured I could buy a whole lot of other useful accessories like seat, windshield, luggage, etc. for that kind of price difference. In later years, American Honda increased the price of the manual transmission model, while decreasing the price of the DCT, thus minimizing the option cost. Today, 7 years later, MSRP of the 2019 NC750X DCT is less than what the MSRP of the NC700X DCT was in 2012, while the manual model has increased by $1100. All pricing mentioned is for the USA market.

Last edited:
3 of the straights top speed was about 85 before getting on the brakes. The other 2 straights were shorter, before and after the only right hand turn on the track, so not that fast on those. Shifting between 3rd and 4th gears only during that vid. I think I may have geared down to 2nd once or twice when behind a slow rider in a turn in order to get a jump on them exiting the corner, otherwise 3rd was as low of a gear as I could use going into turns due to the speed I was carrying. Shifting is so smooth with the dct, I could be leaning in the middle of a corner behind a slow rider, downshift to 2nd without even letting up on the throttle, and never feel any upset in the rear whatsoever. It works very nicely.

You'll notice a large grain silo looking thing on the left side of the track on the front straight, the corner just past it is the fastest turn on the track, I'd slow from 85 down to 70 turning in, and be at around 63-65 mph at the apex, then start accelerating again.

It was hard to gage speed with the camera position such as it was - but when you focus on lean angles it became pretty apparent that you were moving at a pretty good clip through those turns :cool: had to be a blast!

Expanding on dduelin’s mention of DCT slowly become more popular due to acceptance, it’s also becoming less expensive. I considered a DCT NC700X back in 2012, but with an MSRP of $8999 vs the manual price of $6999, the 28.5% up charge to get a different transmission was hard to swallow. That may have contributed to lower sales numbers in the early years. I figured I could buy a whole lot of other useful accessories like seat, windshield, luggage, etc. for that kind of price difference. In later years, American Honda increased the price of the manual transmission model, while decreasing the price of the DCT, thus minimizing the option cost. Today, 7 years later, MSRP of the 2019 NC750X DCT is less than what the MSRP of the NC700X DCT was in 2012, while the manual model has increased by $1100. All pricing mentioned is for the USA market.

Interesting statistics. I guess there is a strategy or underlying reason there - but I haven’t figured it out. It remains a very economical and affordable bike and a solid contender in the Jack of All Trades category! Despite my addiction that seems to flare up regularly every few years, I haven’t found a replacement for mine yet!

I watch Yammie Noob. He has useful information. I came across this older video where he says he does not like automatic but gives a fairly generic reason. I have to say, I am a bit disappointed with him. It seems he is making a judgement without trying it himself. Starts at about 6:15 YouTube

Interesting thing to me about the DCT transmission are all the AFRICA TWIN reviews from the moto-press when that motorcycle was, with much fanfare, introduced. The moto-press all got to ride both and most of them favored the DCT. Many indicated their surprise.

If a pretty hard core off-road bike can sway over the media gear shifting pundits to like the DCT then that says a lot to me about how good the DCT is in the real world. Africa Twin got the 3rd generation of the DCT programming, which has also been used on the 2016 - 2019 NC700/750 variants.

Hey 42 welcome to the Ride and a hearty welcome from north IDAHO! Where abouts are you at northern neighbor? I ask as there are several DCT owners that may allow you a demo on their bike if you are not able to find a dealership that will... I have the 2012 manual and would only get rid of it for a DCT. ....and i have already been keeping an eye out for one on Cycle-trader and Craig's List!!
:{)

Hey 42 welcome to the Ride and a hearty welcome from north IDAHO! Where abouts are you at northern neighbor? I ask as there are several DCT owners that may allow you a demo on their bike if you are not able to find a dealership that will... I have the 2012 manual and would only get rid of it for a DCT. ....and i have already been keeping an eye out for one on Cycle-trader and Craig's List!!
:{)

Thank you for the welcome. That sounds great! I am in Ontario, in the Toronto area. I have been keeping an eye on Kijiji and AutoTrader. The used DCTs, far and few between, go for almost as much as new so I was thinking new is the way to go as I would get the manufacturer's warranty. Also, my insurance, in the case of a total loss, would pay out the full price I paid for the bike in the first 3 years if I buy new. If I buy used, it would be the blue book price.

Back