• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

CONTINENTAL MOTION TIRES ?!?! Front/Rear set for $179 total

I just ordered a set of these Contis, too! Should be here tomorrow, then I'll see whether I can stand the anticipation of waiting until I can see cord on the Metzelers! :)

I just ordered a set of these Contis, too! Should be here tomorrow, then I'll see whether I can stand the anticipation of waiting until I can see cord on the Metzelers! :)

I hope you guys get 25,000 miles out of those tires!
I'm in the same boat, except I'm waiting on a chain and sprocket set. I pushed it a little far on the tires also..

I do mount and balance myself, but have also paid $20 per tire at Cyclegear... you pull the wheel off the bike and take it along with the new tire to CycleGear and they'll mount them for $20 each. Not sure if price varies by store location, but that is what I've paid in the past at the San Marcos store. If you buy the tires from them I think they only charge $10 per tire.

Just put a Conti Motion on the rear after the oem tire picked up a nail a few weeks ago. I tried using the gummy worms twice on the puncture, they would work for about a week, and when they wore down some they would develop a slow leak at the edge of the puncture. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

The gummy worms would have easily gotten me to a repair shop or back home, I just could not get them to hold air long term. The oem tire had 5500 miles on it and it was pretty squared off. The front oem tire is still doing fine.

I will try and post my impressions after I have logged some miles on the rear Motion.

What flavor gummy worms did you use? If they are wearing down, use gummy bears next time. Everybody knows bears are tougher than worms.

I have used conti-motion on my last bike, 09 kawasaki versys and I love it! Stick really good and never once slip on me. If I remember correctly these tires didn't last long, only 3000-4000 miles... If u take it easy you might get 5000 out of them... I meant the back tires... Front will last a little longer as always.

I have used conti-motion on my last bike, 09 kawasaki versys and I love it! Stick really good and never once slip on me. If I remember correctly these tires didn't last long, only 3000-4000 miles... If u take it easy you might get 5000 out of them... I meant the back tires... Front will last a little longer as always.

wow, that's really disappointing to hear. I'm looking for 22K and up from the PR2s on the bike now.

wow, that's really disappointing to hear. I'm looking for 22K and up from the PR2s on the bike now.

Yikes, that sounds a bit optimistic, Strat!

Possible I guess, but I'm thinking probably more like 12,000 miles +/- would be closer to a max figure. Hey, prove me wrong though! :cool:

I'm over 4k on the Conti Motions, and both the tires still look brand new.... Maybe you've been riding on sand paper?
....lol

Yikes, that sounds a bit optimistic, Strat!

Possible I guess, but I'm thinking probably more like 12,000 miles +/- would be closer to a max figure. Hey, prove me wrong though! :cool:
that invites a question: How do I measure how worn they are?
12k is not so good as I'm at 10K on them now.
Hmmm.... Perhaps I can measure if folks are interested in knowing how fast they wore?

Strat,
Your tires probably have tread wear indicators. If you look at the tread grooves you should be able to see some spots where the grooves are more shallow than the rest of the tread. When the tire is worn enough for the shallow areas to contact the road and start to show wear its time to replace the tire.

Bob

Strat,
Your tires probably have tread wear indicators. If you look at the tread grooves you should be able to see some spots where the grooves are more shallow than the rest of the tread. When the tire is worn enough for the shallow areas to contact the road and start to show wear its time to replace the tire.
Bob
Yes! On Michelin tires there's a michelin man character stamped on the side of the tire where those wear indicators are. You find the guy, look in the adjacent groove, and you can see the "bar". When the top surface of this bar is even with the tire surface, it's time to replace.

How do I measure what's left? Use a mm ruler to measure the difference between the two? (top of the bar and tire surface) ?

That sounds right to me, but I wanted to ask the more experienced.

The book answer is to use a tread depth gauge. You can normally find them at auto parts stores like Advance Auto Parts or Pep Boys etc.. They only cost a couple of dollars, so they are probably about the cheapest way to get a reliable measurement. You could just use a ruler if all you want is a rough measurement.
FWIW before manufacturers started moulding tread wear indicators into the tires, the old school depth gauge was to take a penny and put it into the tread groove, Lincoln's head first. If you could see the top of Lincoln's head it was time for a new tire.

Bob

What flavor gummy worms did you use? If they are wearing down, use gummy bears next time. Everybody knows bears are tougher than worms.

My favorite is gummy mushrooms... well seriously I do like these mushroom plugs which work pretty well.
Pocket Tire Plugger - For All Tubeless Tires - Stop & Go International Inc Store

I did plug a hole in my Ninja 250's rear tire and felt much more comfortable riding on this style plug than the gummy worm style. This small and easy to pack kit with the under $10 Slime compressor from Walmart works great when on the road.

I have now put close to 3000 miles on my rear Motion and have had little wear at this point. It has performed well in both dry and wet, straight highway and twisties. If I can get a solid 6000 miles out of it, I think I will replace with another Motion, especially considering the price.

Also, for those wanting to know about the capability of the NC for 2 up high speed touring, we did several hours yesterday on the super slab 2 up, fully loaded averaging 74 mph with no problems. However, fuel mileage dropped to 52 mpg.

SO I have found another great tire that some may want to consider. It is just about the same price (about $169/set that I found) but still way below others options.

I have found this tire to be everything the CM was and more. They are SERIOUSLY STICKY and have a much better tread life (possibly double). I have been riding the same set Daily since December, and still have almost all the tire left (I got into an accident and was't riding for about 2 months, but still that's a lot of riding). I also dig the tread design, but that's just gravy on the potatoes…lol….Check em out….

Shinko 005 Advance Rear Tire - 160/60ZR-17
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 5.09.19 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 5.12.57 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the Shinko 005 finding. Pricing at my go-to tire source (AmericanMotorcycleTire) shows $156.17/set for the 005s vs $143.69/set for the Motions. Hardly a difference to worry about. They sound worthy of a try-out.

Thanks for sharing the Shinko 005 finding. Pricing at my go-to tire source (AmericanMotorcycleTire) shows $156.17/set for the 005s vs $143.69/set for the Motions. Hardly a difference to worry about. They sound worthy of a try-out.

I looked under 120/70-17 and could find only the 003 Shinko tire... I'll look again later.

Back