• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Correct Purolator PureONE filter for NC700

yticolev

Reaction score
Visit site
It appears that there is a general consensus (spoiled only by Honda knows what they are doing types) that PureONE and Mobil 1 filters are better for cars and motorcycles than virtually every other filter available. Most filters use a paper filter, these use a synthetic media.

I've used Mobil 1 filters and oil for my cars for the last 35 years to good effect. When I started looking at purchasing the NC700X, I looked at motorcycle forums including this one for what filters and oil to use. I discovered that the PureONE is perhaps slightly better than the Mobil 1 (more filtration area) at half the cost, about $6 in stores and Amazon. Rave reviews on a number of forums and websites. What I couldn't find was the right model number to buy for the NC. After some research in cross compatible Honda models, I have the right one.

PL14612 is an exact match for the NC700. The PL14610 (which I intend to use) will fit at about 3/4 of an inch longer. Looks like there is plenty of space on the bike for the longer one, no modification necessary. More filter area means it will last longer with a lower pressure drop.

Purolator PL14610 PureONE Oil Filter, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Calsci has some great articles on filters and oil for motorcycles:
Motorcycle Oil Filters & Air Filters
All About Motor Oil

Shell Rotella T6 appears to be the oil to get. It is fully synthetic and meets the JASO-MA certification (plays well with wet clutches). Better performance that Mobil 1. That won't get me to switch, but it costs less at Walmart by several dollars a gallon. A gallon costs $21.36, and I found a manufacturer rebate good through May for $5 a gallon (limit 2). It is reviewed well in hundreds of web pages, including this forum.

Get the Shell Rotella Motor Oil for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
Shell Rotella T6 Rebate - Shell Rotella

The bottom line here is that the non OEM choices look like they are better for our bikes, and cost far less.

I have always been a Rotella fan. I run it in everything but my NCX. Never know I may put it in the bike after the Amsoil. Thanks for the filter info!

I really believe that whatever oil or filter you install that meets the specs is going to work just fine.

I have already purchased two PL14612 filters for use over the next two NC oil changes and we'll see how it goes from there, or see what's on sale next. I have no brand loyalties.

Greg

Does the T6 come in anything but 5W40? Honda says 10W30 or 10W40 will work, but they don't say anything about 5W40 or 5Wanything for that matter. The cold viscosity gives me concern. I'll gladly admit to not being an oil expert, I just wonder if all the others will.

Does the T6 come in anything but 5W40? Honda says 10W30 or 10W40 will work, but they don't say anything about 5W40 or 5Wanything for that matter. The cold viscosity gives me concern. I'll gladly admit to not being an oil expert, I just wonder if all the others will.
I would read up on the oil page I posted or others online. 5W was a real concern 35 years ago, but isn't now. In fact, it is pretty mandatory in extreme cold environments. I've been using 0W in my car for the last 5 years, and that certainly is not a manufacturer recommended viscosity.

T6 is the Rotella 'code' for 5W40. Their 10W30 is called T5.

I can tell you for a fact the PL14610 will work. Have one on the bike now. It's easier to change the filter taking the chin off but not necessary.

Been using non-honda filters for a long time... I used the K&N, supertech, mobil 1, puralator, bosch filters on all my bike in the past and never had a problem.

The same filter also fit most modern yamaha, kawasaki bikes...

Walmart used to carry super-tech filter that will work with our bike. For what ever reason they stop selling supertech filter. I love those, only less than $3 each... Still have a few left... :)

I would read up on the oil page I posted or others online. 5W was a real concern 35 years ago, but isn't now. In fact, it is pretty mandatory in extreme cold environments. I've been using 0W in my car for the last 5 years, and that certainly is not a manufacturer recommended viscosity.

I have had a couple of late model cars whose manufacturers recommended 0 weight oil. I have used the Pure One filters and T6 Rotella in my vehicles for years. Thanks for the rebate link.

Ha, I would have sold you mine that I bought just to check compatibility. Also 4 qts of genoowine Honda oil - would you believe $13 a quart retail?

Back