• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Corrosion on exhaust header

bobk100

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all.

Done the deed and bought a 2012 700X

Super condition - but - the exaust header to muffler metalwork is corroded - sound but corroded.

Any ideas how to smarten this item up? What's the options?

Cheers.

A photo of the exhaust would help people decide if its normal or if it needs attention.

I have mild corrosion on my exhaust. It just kinda happened I guess, only time she got parked in the rain was while I was at work.

On the other hand, I have ridden thousands of miles in the rain. A few times it rained so hard that water got through my (closed) helmet vents.

I just view it as part of the character. I'm not gonna be selling it or showing it, so the blemishes are for discerning, appreciative eyes only.

My opinion is a black header looks goofy and sticks out like a sore thumb on a bike that has a somewhat exposed header. Be different on a tough looking cruiser or something, but I don't think it would look right black on an NC regardless.

Afaik the header is stainless. Furthermore it contains the cat and gets extremely hot. As such the "corrosion" that You are seeing is probably more heat discolouration and burnt on dirt. I suggest cleaning with some metal cleaning paste and a small stiff brush to see if that can make a difference first.

Hi all.

Done the deed and bought a 2012 700X

Super condition - but - the exaust header to muffler metalwork is corroded - sound but corroded.

Any ideas how to smarten this item up? What's the options?

Cheers.
I had the same thing on mine 2013 and I took crompolish and polished it with it took 10 minutes so it was like new

Back