• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Covering License Plates in pics...

I've photo shopped plates off pics I sent out but don't think it harmful to show.

I'm really anal about those who advertise dealerships via license plate frames/decals.
I've even offered to remove said items from vehicles of people I know.
Blue Skies Green Lights.

When my dad got his truck it had to be shipped from another dealer (no one stocks stickshifts any more). He told the sales guy "If there is a dealership badge on the truck when I come to pick it up, I'm going to walk. Normally I'd humor you and rip it off a block away from the dealer, but I'm not as strong as I used to be, my hands and fingers don't work as well as they used to, so I'm just going to walk."

When he showed up the truck was badged, he saw the sales person coming out to meet him, the sales person saw him looking at the tail gate, and ran over to the truck and told the guy washing it to pull that badge off... and get rid of the license plate frame too!

My dad waited and chatted with the sales rep until that was done before going into close the deal.

When my dad got his truck it had to be shipped from another dealer (no one stocks stickshifts any more). He told the sales guy "If there is a dealership badge on the truck when I come to pick it up, I'm going to walk. Normally I'd humor you and rip it off a block away from the dealer, but I'm not as strong as I used to be, my hands and fingers don't work as well as they used to, so I'm just going to walk."

When he showed up the truck was badged, he saw the sales person coming out to meet him, the sales person saw him looking at the tail gate, and ran over to the truck and told the guy washing it to pull that badge off... and get rid of the license plate frame too!

My dad waited and chatted with the sales rep until that was done before going into close the deal.

When I took delivery of my new truck last March, I gave the dealer very specific instructions. They were only allowed to wash it with soap and water if it got dirty in transit from the factory. They were not to apply any other chemicals (like that stupid messy tire wet stuff). They were not to install the front license plate holder, nor license plate frames, dealer logos, stickers, badges, etc. They were not even allowed to install the license plates (I've had dealers strip out the nylon nuts with their screw gun). Much to my surprise, they did comply with my requests.

They pressured me to buy service contracts, but I told them that unless there was a standard warranty issue with the vehicle, they would probably never see the truck again. I know I'm not the kind of customer they'd like to have, but they made money on the sale, and that's that.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have Harley customers that actually pay the Company for promotional materials (clothing, stickers, decals, and probably even underwear), and the customers freely advertise for Harley Davidson for no compensation. Harley has built the supreme model of marketing success.

Last edited:
Dealers in states that require front plates drill holes in new unsold vehicles.
The mechanics at my local dealer yanked the front cover off another undrilled car on the lot breaking tabs in the process.
The finance officer told me to plug the holes in my $37K new car. I told her I'll be walking out the door first.

I myself am baffled by the people who get away with covering their plates with smoke glass to disguise their number. Why plate vehicles if the identifying number is hidden from public view. Good way for states to lower their deficits by ticketing scofflaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I myself am baffled by the people who get away with covering their plates with smoke glass to disguise their number.

I have received a ticket for this from one of the local police departments...the good news is I disputed it. The officer didn't show up so a victory for the every dangerous driver with a smoked license plate cover.

Since we have strayed off the original topic (blacked out plates in pics), I'll throw in my $0.02 worth.......and not to degrade PotterOo, but I totally disapprove of any smoked tint over license plates......nor those Trailer Hitch Receiver mounted Baskets which block your license plate on most vehicles when the baskets of full of big-azz coolers/luggage. Try riding behind someone with a tinted plate......your distance of vision to read the plate is greatly diminished. If someone struck a family member of mine, and fled the scene, I don't want a smoked plate happering me (or witnesses) from reading the plate. Same with a LEO......a smoked plate "might" prevent him from apprehending a suspect.....or at least radioing-in the tag number to check prior arrest records/warrants, etc. It's a "Safety Thang" for me.
Just like "covering license plate numbers", I don't understand why folks put smoked plastic over their plates in the first place.......maybe the same reason some put smoked plastic over their headlights???
None of the reasons in the previous 5 pages of comments have convinced me how it helps the owner to cover up his plate numbers during a photo........so what if the WW Internet knows his license number?? I have yet seen a web-based disclosure page telling who the owner is, where he lives, how old he is, his SS number, or his pecker length, based on a tag number. Maybe the cops have that capability, but I could care less if they know how long (or short) I am.........
Rant Over......I'll just go quietly back to copying tag numbers at Walmart now. Thankyou.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back