• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Crank Case breather tube???

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can see that it's about time to empty the contents of my "crank case breather" again. It's mostly full of red liquid.

What is this liquid?

Do I have to refill something somewhere? doesn't look much like oil.

Do tell what the liquid is, if you find out. In all my miles with Hondas, I've never had to drain anything from the breather hose. I finally quit even checking it.

Are you by chance running an aftermarket air filter? Too much K&N oil?

I do use the K&N, but I clean it as per the instructions.

The tube contains a red liquid, and not much of that. If you spilled it, you could easily wipe it up with a rag.
I just wondered where a red liquid was coming from as out put, since I don't put any red liquids IN.

I was just reading on Mr. Google that some gasses from the combustion chamber make it in to the crank case. The "crank case breather" is responsible for venting those gasses, so at least now I know what it is.

32,000 miles and I have never had a drop of fluid in my breather tube.... Sounds like too much k&n filter oil like 670 said. Edit: all the breather does is collect moisture that enters the air box, my old nighthawk used to get a lot of moisture and I would drain it when I did the oil change but my Nc has never ever ever had anything in the tube.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I suggest that you go look at the colour of the Oil that you use to oil your K&N. Most likely it will be exactly the same colour as the oil in the breather tube. As far as I am aware that tube is connected to the lowest point of the air box, as that is the point where any excess oil from the crankcase will gather. I suggest that the oil is the excess that drops from the K&N to the bottom of the airbox and then into that tube.

Exactly the same is happening with my 690KTM and previously happened with my FJS600. Both had red oil in the tubes and both had K&N's. No matter how well you drain a K&N filter after cleaning and oiling, the vacuum from the carburettor/throttle body will always get some more out of it. It is highly likely that this is also the situation with your NC.

Fyi

The Africa Twin has three breather tubes; all drain from the airbox.
All three need to be drained as regular maintenance.

I just had my 2017 NC DCT serviced, and I noticed there is maybe 1 1/2 inches of what looks like oil in the breather tube. Is this normal? Should I drain it out? Thank you.

Checking the tube and draining it, if required, is part of normal maintenance. I have to say though, mine never has any fluid in it. You should drain it and find out what type of fluid it is, ie water, engine oil, and if you use an oiled air filter, then filter oil. Then monitor it to see if more fluid appears.

If you're wondering if they put too much oil in the engine, just check it with the dipstick per the owner's manual directions.

Similar to 670cc I check the breather tube as part of the scheduled maintenance. I have never found anything in it. I would drain it and keep an eye on it.

Thank you for your reply. What is an air box, and does this relate to having oil in the tube after having the oil changed? I am wondering if they put too much oil in?
What I called 'air box' is termed "air cleaner housing" in the manual.
I don't think oil level has anything to do with it; as the liquid in the tube is not 100% engine oil.
The breather tube is located at the lowest part, after the air filter.
At first I thought tip overs caused the tubes to fill up.
But that is not the only reason, as blow by gases condensate and leave the liquid residue
in the air box walls, which then drains out to the tubes. It is plugged, to prevent this liquid from
being sucked in reverse direction; so draining them regularly is a requirement.

If it ever fills up. On multiple bikes I never had to empty them. OTOH they are meant to be checked so filling up is expected (at a slow rate though).

Back