• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Crash bars

Phil davenport

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. Two weeks in to owning my 2014 nc750x dct and been first decent ride today Absolutely love it! Quick question about engine / crash bars. Has anyone used them and then crashed with them fitted? Just wondering what they actually protect as the engine looks to be pretty well tucked away?

bamamate

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have SW-Motch bars and have been down many times off-road and once on-road. While the engine is pretty well tucked the bars also protect the plastics which are not cheap to replace. Additionally the clutch cover and the stater (sp?) cover are exposed and a hole in them means a lot oil leaking out. The bars stick out further than the 2 covers and therefor the bars hit first.
Side benefit is the give a good place to mount lights if you want them.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. Absolutely. And you can go cheap or expensive. It depends on the kind of crash you want to protect against. I do not care about 20mph and up. I need to protect my bike from the little dumps I might do. I ride in a lot of slippery stuff. If I crash going fast, then I might just scrap the bike. So, I went with a cheap flexible bar. And. It slowed the fall of the bike enough that I got out from under it and rolled away. Success. It is a choice. Givi bars have been known to survive fast crashes. These are high end bars

People complain that the powder coating on some bars is quite bad. What I learned from crashing is…wrap your crash bars.

Griff

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Givi bars are well built and robust. I tend to favour them on any bike that doesn't have a factory bar on the accessory list. My only complaint is about the powder coating that does not stand up well to salted roads in winter time.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
If you live in an area where road salt is used often, such as rock salt, there is always something called Rhino Lining. I am certain there are similar products. The easy way out is electrical tape or bike tape. Some electrical tapes use high quality adhesive that is weather resistant and will stick like pin striping. I know. I test the stuff all the time on my bike. Some of it is quite good.

bigbird

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The quality (gauge of tubing, welding, powder coating) and design of the SW Motech bars are quite superior to those of the Givi bars IMHO.

Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
We need more posts like the last one to help us make better online purchases. We cannot see or feel the product online nor know how it lasts.

For example: 3m electrical tape is as good as high quality pin striping. … and it is and you can write on it. You can do this sort of thing with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

LearnedButt

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the R-Gaza upper and lowers. I also laid my bike down in a drive through (tried to turn on a slope I didn't notice). After picking up my bike, the only damage was to my ego. The bike didn't have a scratch on it. Hell, the bars didn't either. They do stick out, more so than any other set I've seen for the NC series. They almost look like police bike level protection. So as long as you are good with that, it's probably the best protection out there.

20210629_175304.jpg

yojimg

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the R-Gaza upper and lowers. I also laid my bike down in a drive through (tried to turn on a slope I didn't notice). After picking up my bike, the only damage was to my ego. The bike didn't have a scratch on it. Hell, the bars didn't either. They do stick out, more so than any other set I've seen for the NC series. They almost look like police bike level protection. So as long as you are good with that, it's probably the best protection out there.

Are you still able to remove the lower engine cover with the R-Gaza bars mounted?

LearnedButt

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you still able to remove the lower engine cover with the R-Gaza bars mounted?

Yes, but I have the OEM. It's plastic and deforms enough to not be an issue. The main reason I haven't gotten a bash plate is because I don't know if I would be able to jiggle the solid aluminum free

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can find someone with a bash plate who can let you try it, that is an easy solution. The dealer may have one on a bike on the lot. With permission, you can bring tracing paper, scissors and painter’s tape and make a paper model. You can then cut one out with stiff paper. You can at least mock it up and see if it might fit. These are some old car guy tricks.

Mock it up. Tape it up. Shove it in. Way in. Pull it out. Bend it up. Trim it up. Shove it in again. Way in.

Take lots of pictures.

Sometimes you find a deal breaker because something won’t fit. This job might take an hour. But it will save you a lot of hassle.

Sure beats banging the heck out of things. Then trying to return the item. Then realizing it banged up your paint.

LearnedButt

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can find someone with a bash plate who can let you try it, that is an easy solution. The dealer may have one on a bike on the lot. With permission, you can bring tracing paper, scissors and painter’s tape and make a paper model. You can then cut one out with stiff paper. You can at least mock it up and see if it might fit. These are some old car guy tricks.

Mock it up. Tape it up. Shove it in. Way in. Pull it out. Bend it up. Trim it up. Shove it in again. Way in.

Take lots of pictures.

Sometimes you find a deal breaker because something won’t fit. This job might take an hour. But it will save you a lot of hassle.

Sure beats banging the heck out of things. Then trying to return the item. Then realizing it banged up your paint.

Username checks out.