• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment

A blank, only available from Honda, is $42 and a lock smith told me $25 to cut it. So for $67 CAD it can be done. It's not worth it to me.

It does work for the 2016 bike but you need a smaller cap. You can see why from the second photo that shows the lock inset into the mouldings.
Mike
27303686721_17915caba7_z.jpg27303686571_1382966177_z.jpg

@Phx

What key blank did you use to make this? I already bought some knobs from Radio Shack, but will wind up tossing them in favor of this design. It looks brilliant!

Last edited:
Now my NC is a 2012 in the USA without HISS. That being said, I took my key to a legitimate locksmith who didn't have the HD105 in stock, but he did have the HD109. He cut the 109 short and I used that. The problem was that it could be forced into the ignition and could be wiggled until it turned on. When the HD105 came in, I had him cut the first five grooves on the key and leave off the last two or three closest to the part you hold. This one will not turn the ignition ever because it doesn't have the final few grooves. I wouldn't have tried to have the high school kid at the big home and garden store try this, but a dedicated locksmith I'd trust.

As for the 2016, does it look like this? If so, I have no idea.

key.JPG

Yes it does look like that. I have the top part which I hacksawed off - I was going to bin it but there is a reference number on it which I will get and post on here in the morning - too cold and wet to go to the garage tonight (and it's June tomorrow - what's going on?)
Mike

Just had a couple of keys made. Hacked one off as per above, quick-epoxied it into a spray-paint-can lid. Works a treat. Great idea and so handy. So far haven't forgotten the key when I'm away from the bike.
Thanks for the idea and the different approaches to making it work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea! I finished mine yesterday, but of course I had to do with MY own sense of style...

689db55aaeaaa6796512d33596114b89.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I had a locksmith cut me 2 copies using the short HD105 blanks and nether worked. Is there a secret?

The long key worked with the way I used it, but I wanted a short one to try the lower profile knob everyone else is using.

As previously acknowledged the 2016 model has a new key. The key cutting kiosk's at Walmart, Home Depot and Canadian Tire can't help you. The dealer where I bought the bike can't help me, other than to say that they can order in a blank for me, $42.00, but I was on my own to find a locksmith that could cut it. The local Honda CAR dealership say they can't help me. I showed him that my motorcycle key was exactly like my 2007 Honda Civic key. I can cut the Civic key but I can't do the motorcycle key.

I found a locksmith in town who says he can cut it but he can't get the blank, so if I get him the blank he'll cut it for $25.

The bike dealer wanting $42 for a blank was irking me so yesterday I went back to the car dealer, it happened to be customer appreciation day and I got a free hamburger lunch, anyway on to the parts desk I asked for a key blank for a 2007 Civic, a questioning look from the guy and I explained, he said sure $10 but no guaranty it will work.

Tomorrow I'll go see the locksmith.

There are no electronics/security (transponder) in the motorcycle key.

Here are some pics cause it's always better with pics...

2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
I had a locksmith cut me 2 copies using the short HD105 blanks and nether worked. Is there a secret?

The long key worked with the way I used it, but I wanted a short one to try the lower profile knob everyone else is using.

Same happened to me....but the locksmith kept making small adjustments (like 5) and now it works !

I wondered if it was just me. Glad they made it right for you eventually. My locksmith told me to bring the bike and he'd make it work.
I took the HD109, and cut it about an 1/8" below the shoulder (the fat top of the key) using a bolt cutter-straight, clean cut and JBWeld (the kind used for boats) it into a knob. It wont turn the ignition no matter how I jiggle it. As the picture shows, I could have cut another 1/4" off the key but I didn't want to take a chance of cutting it too much.

The day after I bought my NCX I had two non-bulky keys made at a local locksmiths for $5 and a ride around the parking lot on it, since he was interested in buying one (loved the smoothness and seemed excited). I put the one intended for ignition in my leather zip-up key case I used for my WR250R and Pelican lock keys, and tethered the other to that so that all keys and tether {waxed nylon shoelace;} would zip up inside when desired. I was going to cut down the frunk key as short as practical but then decided quick and easy with better leverage was fine. Not removing keys until actually needed as theft deterrent saves wear and tear; this arrangement this has proven very convenient.

Shown here with the key-case zipped open... sorry the pic sucks, in the near dark with cellphone.

keys.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Version

I know that this is an older post, but it still has a great deal of value. I just recently decided to make a key and the tips provided here were very helpful.

I did, however, take a slightly different route. One of my main hobbies/side jobs is pool cue repair. I decided to use my cue lathe and a few materials I had around here to make my key base. I think it came out pretty good.

IMG_2268.JPGIMG_2269.jpg

A bit ostentatious I know, but I wanted to make something a little nicer for my first attempt. I could easily go with all black, or maybe a darker wood that would blend better.

A bit ostentatious I know, but I wanted to make something a little nicer for my first attempt. I could easily go with all black, or maybe a darker wood that would blend better.
It's a nice way to enjoy & blend two hobbies and personalize your bike.

Back