• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment

With my method I have to take it out if I take out my ignition key, and it all fits flat in my pocket.

I know that this is an older post, but it still has a great deal of value. I just recently decided to make a key and the tips provided here were very helpful.

I did, however, take a slightly different route. One of my main hobbies/side jobs is pool cue repair. I decided to use my cue lathe and a few materials I had around here to make my key base. I think it came out pretty good.

I think it looks great.

what tool do you use to cut down the key to epoxy in the cap? I've got a dremel, hack saw, etc., but not a bench vice. Just want to use the right tool for the job without damaging key.

what tool do you use to cut down the key to epoxy in the cap? I've got a dremel, hack saw, etc., but not a bench vice. Just want to use the right tool for the job without damaging key.

I clamped my key in a pair of vise grips and cut it to size with a Dremel tool fibreglass reinforced cut off disc.:D

Gets hot, beware!

Vice grips worked great. Used a small hack saw. Didn't realize the key metal was so soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you guys with the enormous keys and fobs have purses? ; }

The frunk lock to access the fuel cap, requires somewhat more force to unlock. I do this carefully to prevent future damage to the ignition key.
Therefore I went to several shoe maker stores to buy a steel spare key for the frunk lock business only. Unfortunately, none had a matching key available but it could be ordered specially (at high costs of course).
I'm glad that I've read your post now, checked it with my ignition key and I bought the Ilco at Ebay in the USA (Ebay or Amazon in Europe or even here in The Netherlands, wasn't an option). Some specialized USA shops sold the key for less than one Dollar, however the shipping rate was crazy (up to US$ 75.00 !). So Ebay it is. I can expect it within two weeks or so, which is fine for just 6 bucks international shipping.
Just one thing to do, having that key cut at a local shop.

My enormous key never goes in my pocket. The only key that slips in my pocket when I walk away is the stock ignition key. The enormous one drops in the frunk if I don't want to leave it in the frunk lock. It's locked out of sight.

My bike keys have just one key on a small soft rubber or plastic fob. I don't like the scratches that multiple keys on a key ring or fob can leave on the ignition switch surround. If the luggage is mounted and takes a separate key to open/close/remove I have the luggage key on it's own fob. It's not tethered like yours, which is good for you, I can see the utility in your method. I just keep bike keys separate, they are not all together in a little pouch like yours.

point/counterpoint with dan and jane: all my keys but the ones plugged into the motorcycle are inside a soft flat leather zipper case/fob as shown not that long ago. and that case tends to lodge between cables on both machines in a space that cradles it. it does not bounce around and no metal is exposed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did mine today. Used the o'reily auto parts variety bag and the HD109 key cut off. Drilled out hole in bottom of knob, epoxied key stem, 1/16th drill hole with cotter pin, and wrapped with safety wire.

20161102_022802000_iOS.jpg

20161102_022757000_iOS.jpg

Did mine today. Used the o'reily auto parts variety bag and the HD109 key cut off. Drilled out hole in bottom of knob, epoxied key stem, 1/16th drill hole with cotter pin, and wrapped with safety wire.

I lost my frunk key in a parking lot a few months back and didn't realize that's where I must have lost it until 100 miles and several days had passed. This know is EXACTLY what I wanted to begin with. What do I ask for when I walk into O'reilly's?

attached to my ignition key and interchangeable --

31668d1477674744-2016-what-did-you-do-your-nc700-today-2016-10-28-10;50;43s-jpg

I lost my frunk key in a parking lot a few months back and didn't realize that's where I must have lost it until 100 miles and several days had passed. This know is EXACTLY what I wanted to begin with. What do I ask for when I walk into O'reilly's?

This is the one I got, had 4 knobs in it. The hardest part was drilling out the center of the knob without overdrilling it. Had to get a little metal clip out. Just kept increasing drill sizes until I had what I needed. They had two or three different packages for different cars.

20161102_192456407_iOS.jpg

OH.
I see you have been here before. Sorry.

I hardly ever take my frunk key out. (Unless I'm packin")

My keys are on small braided dacron cord. But my MC key is always alone. I don't like the metal rings in my pocket either.

Last edited:
Been using this on my NC for some time now. Works out great. Only problem is that the frunk lately will pop/blow open at highway speeds sometimes. Need to see if I can't adjust the frunk catch for a more positive closure -- or do a bit of internal velcro around the front using the screws that are already there, to hold said velcro in place.

2016-10-28 14;06;29 by greenboy, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using this on my NC for some time now. Works out great. Only problem is that the frunk lately will pop/blow open at highway speeds sometimes. Need to see if I can't adjust the frunk catch for a more positive closure -- or do a bit of internal velcro around the front using the screws that are already there, to hold said velcro in place.

2016-10-28 14;06;29 by greenboy, on Flickr

I have the same issue. My dealer told me that there is a "Recall" on the latch mechanism from Honda for this very issue years ago. I have been holding off on getting this done as I do not ride NaNCy enough to get to the next major service quick enough. I will probably have them take a look at then.

Back