• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

CTX700 Hornet RT reverse trike conversion

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is an ad in the Sept 2016 issue of Rider magazine. It may have appeared elsewhere earlier but this is my first time seeing it.

I see the ad says to visit them at Wing Ding 38 this year in Montana. I will be there. Maybe the CTX trike will be there, too! I'll report on it if I ride it. I generally hate trikes but the wife and I test ride them when we get bored after test riding everything at the Honda tent. One year we got really bored and rode a Harley just for entertainment purposes.

If the CTX trike is a DCT, I'll put my wife at the helm and see what she thinks.

Last edited:
mmm. Pretty cool. the CTX might be underpower to push that big front end.

I owned a can-am, i could get again if the MPG was better and smoother engine. i hear the new one are smoother and have better mpg and a 6 speed.

it can be had for 15k and had abs, traction control and so on.. i am not sure how this makes financial sense when you can get a can am.

I'm at WingDing. This CTX trike machine does exist and it is here. Will report after my 14:30 demo ride (right after my Africa Twin demo ride at 13:30 :) ).

EDIT TO ADD:
A square dancing thing caused a postponement until 9/2 of the CTX trike and Africa Twin rides. I did get to ride a VFR1200X and I did not like it. Wind and heat management were excellent but the drivetrain snatch and/or fueling were bad. The motor pulls from any RPM but it's very hard to ride smoothly in an urban environment. Interestingly, the gear ratios on the VFR1200X and the NC700X are the same. I also rode a CB500F. Now that was a lotta fun.

Last edited:
I test rode the CTX700 Hornet trike conversion yesterday. Setting aside any opinions on whether a trike is even desirable, I'll instead comment only on its virtues as a trike.

The front end of this thing is the same front end they are mounting on the GL1800. So it's heavy-duty to the point of possible overkill. The brakes are monstrous, and since there's so much tire area out front and no braking dive, I pretty much just forwent even using the rear brake. I felt the CTX DCT in S mode was a perfect match for this trike kit for urban use. The trike had plenty of grunt despite the obvious extra weight (how much, I don't know). I didn't run it up much past 60 mph due to the route we rode, so I don't know when it would have run out of steam. I suspect it will be of limited use for long distance riding. The handing was average as far as front end kit trikes go, and definitely better than a rear trike kit. The low center of mass minimized that feeling of being tossed off the machine in corners, as trikes tend to do.

image.jpg

I guess you could say this CTX does have a frunk.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

A more economical option would be to just buy a used CanAm Spyder. But anyway, I guess this unit is priced at $8000 (US) since, as I said, it's basically the same thing they're selling to the rich Goldwing riders. By comparison, though, if you had a Goldwing, $10,000 will get you in line for the new Tilting Motor Works front end (not available for CTX). As the name implies, this is a leaning three wheeler, like an MP3. I talked to the president/engineer, and he said he didn't design it for people who couldn't hold up a 2 wheeler, but rather to make a better handling Goldwing (or Harley). They even have an optional hydraulic pump/locking system that holds the trike up at a stop, and even lifts it off the side stand for you. Laugh if you want, but someday most of us will grow old and probably appreciate that feature.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Here's what I test rode at Wing Ding 38:
CTX700 DCT Hornet trike conversion (along with the wife on a Burgman 650 trike)
VFR1200X
CB500F
CTX700 DCT
CRF1000 DCT Africa Twin (2 rides)
NC700X DCT
GL1800

My wallet is safe as I'm happy with my current NC700X and GL1800. None of the other models excited me, but the CB500s are tempting.

Last edited:
Lookee Lookee at our little girl centerfold Wingworld and opening page mototrike

If they can do it to a CTX they can do it to an NC

Look what they did to our girl in the centerfold of this month's "WingWorld" and the opening photo page of
http://www.motortrike.com

A commercially made conversion to a 3 wheel can-style conversion....

Just thought some of you might like to take a look...\

ciao

burdicda

Back