• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dalton HWY - NC700X + XS650?

Naked_Duc

Reaction score
Visit site
I am planning a trip up to Deadhorse, AK in a couple of years. I'd be taking the NC700X and have began acquiring parts and accessories for the trip. One of my buddy is shopping for a bike, I will likely steer him toward a KLR or a mid-size BMW or similar. The 3rd person on the trip has a 1981 Yamaha XS650. He is thinking about taking that bike. Any thoughts on how the bike would fair on the Dalton HWY? Can he (6'1, 220) make it with proper tires? What equipment should he add on?

At a minimum, I would suggest - Tires, longer travel shocks, revolved front forks, wind protection (windshield, handguards), skid plate, and some luggage.

The alternatives would be - forget all that. Go buy a used KLR with all the goodies, ride the piss out of it, sell it after the trip. I think he would prefer riding what he already has and not spend $3-4K on another bike.

I think you'll find a lot more useful info for that trip and a bike other than an NC on advrider.com. There are many people there that have done that trip on a broad range of bikes.

I am planning a trip up to Deadhorse, AK in a couple of years. I'd be taking the NC700X and have began acquiring parts and accessories for the trip. One of my buddy is shopping for a bike, I will likely steer him toward a KLR or a mid-size BMW or similar. The 3rd person on the trip has a 1981 Yamaha XS650. He is thinking about taking that bike. Any thoughts on how the bike would fair on the Dalton HWY? Can he (6'1, 220) make it with proper tires? What equipment should he add on?

At a minimum, I would suggest - Tires, longer travel shocks, revolved front forks, wind protection (windshield, handguards), skid plate, and some luggage.

The alternatives would be - forget all that. Go buy a used KLR with all the goodies, ride the piss out of it, sell it after the trip. I think he would prefer riding what he already has and not spend $3-4K on another bike.

Have fun, and to steal Old Can Ride's motto: Just Ride! :D I think it's more about will and attitude, than the particular machine or equipment.

Bob Munden, a 65 year young fella road from Key West Florida to Prudhoe Bay Alaska and back on a CBR125R (amongst other coss continent Ironbutt rides on it)

Florida to Alaska and Back on a Honda CBR125R - foxerµÄÈÕÖ¾ - ÍøÒײ©¿Í

I've done it on a DR350 (not Key West, lol, just the Alaska bit)

Hayabusas have done it

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA

A 5' 4" tall 124 lb 50 year young Mom rode her Hayabusa all the way across Canada and to Dawson City Yukon and back. Granted that particular trip wasn't up to Deadhorse, but I think gets honourable mention never the less. :D

Alaska and Back, on a Hayabusa - ADVrider

Good suggestion on advrider.com. I agree that it's more on your attitude than your equipment. If there is a will, there is a way, right?

I did a quick search and found a thread on "XS650 Appreciation". There are quite a few XS's all decked out with luggage for dirt trails and long distance touring. I might ask for some feedback on whether suspension mods are necessary.

Type Prudhoe Bay Deadhorse in the search box. I did the ride this summer. I may go back next year and ride it in some good conditions. I would like to see some dust. If you break down be prepared the BMW rider I saw it cost him $1800 to get it back from halfway point Coldfoot.

Back