• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dang expensive little mod lol

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Tried to get a flat key to make a knob for the frunk. No luck. Three different places told me they couldn't get blanks for the Honda Wave key, but one, Mr. Lock, said he could cut if if I got a factory Honda blank.

So, ordered a Honda replacement key blank. $21. Gads!

Waited a month for it to get in, and just took it down to get it cut ..... $40. Yowza!

Now have over $60 in a frunk box key lol.

Still have to get the epoxy ($5?) and shave the head of the key down some to fit in the cap, and glue it up.

Will be convenient when it's done, but jeezalou I did 3 of them for my ST 1300 saddlebags and glove box for like $15 total for all 3.

Tried to get a flat key to make a knob for the frunk. No luck. Three different places told me they couldn't get blanks for the Honda Wave key, but one, Mr. Lock, said he could cut if if I got a factory Honda blank.

Waited a month for it to get in, and just took it down to get it cut ..... $40. Yowza!

Still have to get the epoxy ($5?) and shave the head of the key down some to fit in the cap, and glue it up.

Will be convenient when it's done, but jeezalou I did 3 of them for my ST 1300 saddlebags and glove box for like $15 total for all 3.
Wow I wouldn't think it would add up like that but I've not had a bike with the wave-type key yet.

Dunno if your "wave" key is the same as a "Sidewinder" key but, if so and FWIW, I ordered and received a spare Sidewinder key for my 2018 NC750. I supplied the key-code to keys4urride.com and, after a few days and $36.54 (incl. shipping), the spare arrived in the mail. It fits both ignition and frunk and was way less expensive than the $70+ I was quoted by a local locksmith. (I've got no relation to this vendor other than being a satisfied customer.)

Dunno if your "wave" key is the same as a "Sidewinder" key but, if so and FWIW, I ordered and received a spare Sidewinder key for my 2018 NC750. I supplied the key-code to keys4urride.com and, after a few days and $36.54 (incl. shipping), the spare arrived in the mail. It fits both ignition and frunk and was way less expensive than the $70+ I was quoted by a local locksmith. (I've got no relation to this vendor other than being a satisfied customer.)
Hopefully I won't need another, but that info may help someone else who is thinking of this mod, or who just wants a spare key to stow someplace on the bike.

Pardon my ignorance. Do you intend to leave the 'knob' in the key slot all of the time? I am not sure I understand the benefit of this mod.
Just for convenience. It's just a spare key made into a knob.

Example: Lets say the bike is warming up and you decide to throw something else in the frunk, a sweatshirt, a bottle of water, spare pair of gloves, a ballcap? whatever..... You don't have to turn off the bike, take the key out of the ignition, open the frunk, throw the thing in, take the key out of the frunk and put it back in the ignition, and restart the bike. You just turn the knob, open the frunk, throw the thing in and close the frunk. Or you pull in to get gas. Just turn the knob to open the rear seat and gas up and close the frunk. Convenience.

99% of the time I am with the bike. If I leave the bike, and was worried about someone getting into it (which I'm not, since unless you know there's a frunk there, one would think it's a gas tank). You simply remove the knob and put it in your pocket, and stick it back in when you return to the bike.

BTW made into a knob, the key to too short to work the ign or ign lock so no chance of someone using it to steal your bike.

Last edited:
These luggage keys are cut shorter than an ignition key so you can leave the knob in the lock without worry some one could use it to start the bike. If you worry about theft of luggage or frunk contents you throw the luggage key in the frunk or take it with you. Otherwise it stays in the lock.

These luggage keys are cut shorter than an ignition key so you can leave the knob in the lock without worry some one could use it to start the bike. If you worry about theft of luggage or frunk contents you throw the luggage key in the frunk or take it with you. Otherwise it stays in the lock.
If you're careful during fabrication of the frunk key, it's possible to for you to arrange to have a spare ignition key embedded within the frunk key/knob.

For example, say you planned to epoxy the key shank within the shaft hollow of a plastic knob of some kind. First put the key into the ignition and mark on it how far it sticks into key slot. Then put the same key into the frunk slot and mark its depth there (which will be shallower than the depth in the ignition slot.) Remove or cut down the head of the key to allow it to fit into shaft hollow of the knob. Put the key shank into the knob far enough that only the frunk-key slot length protrudes from the base of knob and fasten it into place. Turn the knob upside down and add enough epoxy into the shaft hollow and around the key shank so that the glue reaches up only as far as the ignition slot depth and let the epoxy set up.

Voila! Your frunk key will fit deep enough to work in the frunk key slot but will not be long enough to work in the ignition key slot. Loose or misplace your ignition key? A forceful application of a large rock onto the plastic knob will break it off and yield a skinny key that'll fit your ignition. Ride on, dude!

Pardon my ignorance. Do you intend to leave the 'knob' in the key slot all of the time? I am not sure I understand the benefit of this mod.
This goes back to the first NC. The “knob key” allows quick easy access the seat and frunk and to the passer by just looks like a knob. It can be left in position with very little risk. Removed if needed. The knob key will not start the bike.

NOTE : side winder, laser cut, wave key are the same style key. (They are not cut on laser or with laser)

664A88A5-B3D5-4BFC-9DC5-1EB493DE8C40.jpeg

D614E066-12F0-4160-9B44-0A623F9AE121.jpeg

When I made a luggage knob for my 2005 ST1300 I used radio knobs I got at Radio Shack. The first NC one I made (that was made) I used the cap off an aerosol can of brake cleaner. A later NC knob I used a 2001-2017 Goldwing radio knob after seeing 670cc's. The current one was already on the bike I bought in June and it's identical to the Radio Shack knob on my ST1300 from 2005. The circle comes back around....

Last edited:
Ended up going with the aerosol lid. Gorilla clear 2 part epoxy. Ground head of key to correct angle for a finished look on the 2021 lock, (which is different than the 2016-2020 models..and wayyy different than showkey's). Mixed up the epoxy per directions in the cap and set the key down in there. Held it straight for 8 minutes until the epoxy set up. Now just waiting for it to finish curing. (24 hours). If I did everything right, this little mod will be in the books, and I'll be a happy camper ..err NC rider lol

will add pics later

This is a great idea and I am surprised someone isn’t just making them-Honda included.

Did the $36.54 include the cost of the blank? Did keys4urride.com provide the blank?

Back