• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DanMoto XG-1 Twin Pipe exhaust

Wow thats cool! I love the xg-1 but at times i find it too harsh, i will have to try it.

Now if they would add a centre stand stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
All the cool kids were doing it, so I ordered a XG-1 with the baffles. Since there are two I assume they will go in the outlet rather than the inlet side. I've read the XG-1 baffles don't do much and making a 'wrapper' for the baffles before installation can help tame the dB.

My hope is to be able to hear the bike well enough to tell what it's doing without looking at the tach. :) The stocker sure is quiet. I've never put any aftermarket exhaust bits on a bike but I just can't hear this one. Plus the stock exhaust note sounds like there is something lovely in there that's being strangled with a pillow.

Well after almost forever of waiting for the arrow link pipe, it should be complete this weekend. Actually getting the system ceramic coated right now. I'll set up a camera and get the bike running with the stock muffler, then the arrow and xg1, then with the baffles installed so everyone can hear for themselves. I'll provide a link here when its up.

Picked the pipes up from the Post Office this morning. The package came quickly (a little over a week), the components were thoroughly protected in the box. Documentation was of good quality, both printing and language. I got the "Danmoto since 2009" buckle. Muffler/midpipe installation was easy, even for me. The most challenging part for this inexperienced fellow was drilling the holes for the bolts that hold in the baffles.

The stock muffler is absurdly, ridiculously heavy compared to the danmoto:
IMG_20140826_153003413.jpg

The baffles for the XG-1 are rather crude compared to the regular danmoto baffles. There is plenty of room to bolt on/off the baffles with the muffler attached to the bike. Looks like I could straighten them up a bit. Didn't notice until I saw this shot.
IMG_20140826_153019168_HDR.jpg

The exhaust note is very different in tone and volume. I was definitely sticking to the manual's suggested shiftpoints of 2k rpm while on my street. I made some recordings with a stereo recorder; the recorder was on a mini-tripod 10' away from the bike, perpendicular to the exhaust side.

Stock exhaust (mp3).

XG-1 w/baffles (mp3). You can hear the automatic gain control clamp down on the increased volume. I didn't know AGC was on until I listened to it later. Sorry about that.

XG-1 w/baffles drive-off, ambient sound, and arrival (mp3). First bit is me trundling across the yard and my rutted dirt driveway. I enter the FM road at 20 seconds. I left in about 60 seconds of ambient noise so you could judge the exhaust in context, then put in a silent second or two where I deleted my 20min ride, then you hear me return and put the bike away in the barn. In this recording I am trying to be quiet. I get home late for work and don't want to rile the neighbors unnecessarily.

First impressions after test ride
  • the pipe is loud
  • and sounds much better while riding. The idle sounds a bit hollow, maybe. I'd say it's about as loud as a stock harley exhaust.
  • I can definitely hear the engine now. It's clear up to about 65mpg then wind noise starts to drown it out.
  • my corner throttling was immediately improved because I could hear what the danged thing was doing. I can hear the transition from off-throttle to throttle with a clarity and detail that was absent before.

One of the springs arrived with an end missing:
IMG_20140826_165612789.jpg

I put on the good one and emailed danmoto about replacing the bad one.

Last edited:
They're pretty good about getting you the springs. I didn't get any with mine, but I e-mailed them about it and had two sets in fairly short order. They were a bit long though, so I had to bend loops on the pipe ends away from each other a little bit.

They answered the email the same day, and said they'd send out a set. Well-written and polite email. I think I like those danmoto guys.

[Edited to add: got the replacement springs quickly. They are taut and fit like the originals]

Last edited:
Hey, I just noted the prices jumped (now $135 for the XG-1) but the site now says "FREE SHIPPING for any order to the 48 Contiguous States!".

Well, so far not too impressed with the baffles on my xg-1's. Also not impressed with my ability to make a video. My phone put on the audio damper while doing the video so the already very little difference between baffled and unbaffled becomes impossible to hear. The best I can say about the baffles is the running sound is just a little milder, the sound when you get on the throttle is the same, couldn't hear any difference. Not exactly the outcome I was looking for, but riding the bike is better now that I can hear the engine. Between the helmet and the wind, its not overly loud during normal riding. Has a bark though when you want it! :)

I can see putting on a straight pipe like this if you have a sports bike, but on the NC? It doesn't fit the nature of the bike. I'm all for a good sounding, deep tone exhaust, but it has to fit the nature of the bike.

You are entitled to your opinion, but now it sounds like a motorcycle and not a sewing machine.

Guys, how loud are these pipes comparing to stock ?

I guess a DB meter measurement would help if any of the people that has these pipes could take some measurements :p

Do you hear the noise at highway speeds ?

Anyway, I would like to give the bike a little bit more character and this pipe might fit the bill.

A more applicable question is how does the sound level compare to running without the stock exhaust (but with the cat) ? This way I can remove the stock cat and do a few test runs to see if it's too loud for my liking.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

You hear the wind more than the pipe at highway speeds, but you can still hear the pipe. This pipe is significantly louder than stock. It's quiet at idle, but that's about it. There are a couple sound clips of this pipe on youtube.

Back