• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Darksides

Like Nortwestrider, I also mount my own tires. Why? Because I know it is right this way. You could not even believe how many motorcycles as a dealership, I received units that had the tires improperly mounted. Yes, direct from the manufacture and wrong. Direction of rotation, Weight balance dot with stem, might seem easy, but the manufactures all do this wrong!

I know you ride a lot not just off road so what is the tire you keep on most of the time. I'm mostly going to be 85/15 or 90/10 regular roads/dirt gravel . Having the NC700X is going to allow me to run some fire roads I was afraid to take the Wing, but I'm not like Nortwestrider or Dale who really get off road.

Thanks

I know you ride a lot not just off road so what is the tire you keep on most of the time. I'm mostly going to be 85/15 or 90/10 regular roads/dirt gravel . Having the NC700X is going to allow me to run some fire roads I was afraid to take the Wing, but I'm not like Nortwestrider or Dale who really get off road.

Thanks

Like Northwestrider, I change tires a lot. It really depends how far I am going, where I am going, and what I will do once I get there. I do not carry tires with me when on the road as some folks do, as tires are just too heavy. Look at the percentage of use the tire was designed for. Use that as a guide for the type of riding you are going to be doing.

See: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/4984-tires-fit-nc700.html

Remember as a general rule of thumb that street tires will get the best mileage, and off-road tires get the worst mileage.

Even the BMW adventure bikes come with a predominate street tire from the factory! Pirrelli Scorpion Trail Tires

I am currently doing more than average dirt riding with rocks, shaking these old bones apart. Trying to get ready for Northwestrider's Washington ride, but at my age and weight not doing such a good job.

So I am now currently using:

Front Tire - 120/70-17 Continental TKC80

Rear Tire - 150/70-17 Kenda K784 Big Block

Most of the time I have the stock street tires on my bike as that will handle most fire roads:

Bridgestone Touring 023
Front tire - 120/70 ZR17
Rear Tire - 160/60 ZR17

Last edited:
Like Northwestrider, I change tires a lot. It really depends how far I am going, where I am going, and what I will do once I get there. I do not carry tires with me when on the road as some folks do, as tires are just too heavy. Look at the percentage of use the tire was designed for. Use that as a guide for the type of riding you are going to be doing.

See: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/4984-tires-fit-nc700.html

Remember as a general rule of thumb that street tires will get the best mileage, and off-road tires get the worst mileage.

Even the BMW adventure bikes come with a predominate street tire from the factory! Pirrelli Scorpion Trail Tires

I am currently doing more than average dirt riding with rocks, shaking these old bones apart. Trying to get ready for Northwestrider's Washington ride, but at my age and weight not doing such a good job.

So I am now currently using:

Front Tire - 120/70-17 Continental TKC80

Rear Tire - 150/70-17 Kenda K784 Big Block

Are you planning to ride these all the way to Washington and Back or maybe get new tires in WA. I'm going to the HU rally in Grant CO and plan to ride a dirt road or two there and then go on up to MT (Going to the Sun Hwy) and Canada but most all of that will be pavement. You guys are serious dirt riding in WA .... I did it when I was 25 - 28 but at 69 not even going to wish I could. Lots of trail roads the a normal pickup can go I'd like to ride also but the rocky/muddy/experienced trails I'm not ready for now, or maybe ever :-(. Do you have a non TKC80 /Big Block you use to use that got some decent mileage. I'm planing on 8 - 10K in my July adventure and less than a 1/2k will be dirt. I know I'm a pain but know you have done a lot of miles on the X....

Boz

For that trip if any rock involved and the mileage I would use:

Continental TKC80 Tires
Front Tire - 120/70-17
Rear Tire - 150/70-17

If there is no rock involved I would use:

Pirrelli Scorpion Trail Tires
Front tire - 120/70-ZR17
Rear Tire - 160/60-ZR17

Continental TKC80 Tires
Front Tire - 120/70-17
Rear Tire - 150/70-17

Front tire - 120/70-ZR17
Rear Tire - 160/60-ZR17

Guess I should check responses before I ask the same question else where. Thanks for the direct answer and excellent advice. Sometimes over research tends to prevent the real reason we ask..... ride more and more often...... :) Thanks again.

Car tyres on a bike? You are shitting me right?

That's the craziest thing I've heard in ages!

In the USA some people actually do fit car tyres to bikes. I have no idea how a bike would handle, but each to their own. I think it would probably be illegal in the UK, but I'm not certain.

Mostly on the goldwings,see it all the time and they have been doing it for a long time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Car tyres on a bike? You are shitting me right?

That's the craziest thing I've heard in ages!

Been doing it for years. !!
Had a 205/55-17 on my Vstrom and a lot of FJR guys run the same combo.20,000 miles out of a tire and was at maybe. 50%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the USA some people actually do fit car tyres to bikes.

I guess you can get away with it over there with all those straight roads. :p

A squared off bike tyre is bad enough for me, let alone a car tyre that squared off from new!

I'd be scared to go around any corners with a car tyre, you must be on the very edge of the tyre, car tyres aren't designed for that.

How long would a car tyre last on a car if it was driven on just 2 wheels before catastrophic failure.

I'm gob smacked at the very idea, is it April the 1st?

Last edited:
From my days on the Valkyrie and VTX forums and having a close friend who went to the darkside on his Goldwing I have never personally heard or read anything truly detrimental about running a CT on a larger bike. Those who do it seem to like it or at least defend it. Personally I would never do it anymore than I would consider putting M/C tires on my car but that's simply my choice and opinion. Seems though there would be even less justification and greater loss of handling on sportier bikes. Not a fan. :(

It worked for me and I scraped pegs as easy as I did with MC tires.I use to try to convince people that it worked but I'm done trying. it worked great for me but I'm sure if you tried it , it would not work for you . !!!.

A friend told me that if you have a car tire on your motorcycle and get in a wreck, your insurance will not cover you. He owns a motorcycle shop.

A friend told me that if you have a car tire on your motorcycle and get in a wreck, your insurance will not cover you. He owns a motorcycle shop.

I had heard the same thing but my insurance guy barley knows the difference between a car and a motorcycle so it might not be a problem .

I had heard the same thing but my insurance guy barley knows the difference between a car and a motorcycle so it might not be a problem .

I'm surprised anyone would be willing get to take the chance.
Insurance assessors usually aren't stupid people that's why they are an assessor - they will/should have knowledge of what they are looking at when they assess a vehicle for damage after an accident.

For a lighter motorcycle like the NC700x the Michelines with the hard center seem extremely practical. The only question is does that increase breaking distance, especially on wet pavement?
Given how easy the rear wheel locks up (for those without ABS) I'd be concerned about the harder rubber breaking loose even easier. It may just be my inexperience, but I'd rather have the traction of the softer rubber.

IMO, the NC700X does not have the same setup of a cruiser and it just would not work, regardless of if you could find a tire that fits.
This is a really excellent point. My wifes cruiser corners for $#!^ so I hate to ride it. The NC corners very nicely though. A CT on the cruiser probably wouldn't be a significant impact, but on the NC the difference would have to be large. (and this is coming from a guy who lives in Nebraska, the land of long straight boring roads with VERY few curves.)

I had a CT on my Vstrom 1000 and after you get use to the turn in characteristics it cornered as good as it did with the MC tire. .
I didn't believe it would work but I watched some YouTube videos , and one of them a guy put a camera under his Goldwing facing backwards .He filmed a run with a MC tire and then with a CT and there was as much rubber on the road at full lean with the CT as the MC tire.I put a CT on when I had my sidecar on and when I took off the sidecar I left the CT on and loved it.I thought about putting one on the NC but there is no 17" CT narrow enough sold in this country .

Last edited:

Continental TKC80 Tires
Front Tire - 120/70-17
Rear Tire - 150/70-17

Front tire - 120/70-ZR17
Rear Tire - 160/60-ZR17

I just put on the Scorpion Trial Tires and for break in took a new note book to my grand daughter 40 miles a way. Few curves mostly 4 lane 65 -70 mph. Felt very good but they do make more noise in the front when slowing down and a lot more when braking hard (got distracted ... OOPS). I assume that is just the pattern diff from the Z8, correct assumption? How much mileage have you gotten out of yours or with your home changer do you not keep track. When I get back from my ride I plan on setting up a removable changing station in the garage as the Z8's with 5100 miles still had (observation of tread only) many more miles so I had the dealer save them for me. Thanks again for the guidance.

Back