• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Dashboard Failure

Brownd1961

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2012 NC700X dashboard went out after over 22,000 miles. Fuses checked, all okay. A replacement unit is around $300. Anyone else had this problem? Engine runs fine.

Have you disconnected/reconnected the cable to the combination meter (not difficult, about 10 minutes of time)? Are you sure the 7.5 A Illumi/stop/horn fuse and the 7.5 A clock/turn fuses are good...You may want to change them...with the cable disconnected from the combination meter, turn the ignition to 'on' and check the voltage on the cable for the power input line ....the power input line in the 16P connector (top row, 2nd from the left)Pink/blue and then check the backup voltage line is red/white, top row, far left connector-there should be battery voltage at all times.

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_075836[1].jpg
    IMG_20210511_075836[1].jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
Agree with post #2...........trouble shoot ( check all possible causes) before considering finding a replacement part.

I had this problem with my 2013 at some point a year or so ago. I disconnected the combination meter 16P connector and reconnected it but I would get a funky error code. I sprayed some contact cleaner and then it started working fine again. Hope you got it going. I took a picture in case someone comes along and doesn't have a manual.

Shop manual page for removing instrument panel

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on trouble shooting. After checking all other factors it came down to having to purchase a new instrument panel (aka combination meter). It took almost two weeks to receive from local Honda dealer, at one point it was lost in Chicago. I plugged in the new panel and it worked fine. One curious observation was zero odometer miles. The local Honda dealer shop manager said he has only seen one failure of this type in his nine years of experience and that was on a CR450.

The battery on my NC700X is original and in service since August 2012. I think I will replace it.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on trouble shooting. After checking all other factors it came down to having to purchase a new instrument panel (aka combination meter). It took almost two weeks to receive from local Honda dealer, at one point it was lost in Chicago. I plugged in the new panel and it worked fine. One curious observation was zero odometer miles. The local Honda dealer shop manager said he has only seen one failure of this type in his nine years of experience and that was on a CR450.

The battery on my NC700X is original and in service since August 2012. I think I will replace it.
Thanks for the follow up regarding your solution to the combination meter problem.

My 2012‘s original battery was still going strong at 8 years age, so it’s no surprise that yours still works. I did change my battery as a proactive measure at the 8 year mark to avoid the chance of problems on a long trip.

The new meter should have came with a label/sticker in which you/dealer write down the miles from the old meter (odometer) and then place the sticker/label on the bike....new odometers do have 0 miles and no way to adjust them with actual miles on the bike.

Back