• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT Compatible Oil: Castrol ACT EVO 4T 10W-30 Part Synthetic ?

MattKas

Reaction score
Visit site
Castrol website lists as Castrol ACT EVO 4T 10W-30 Part Synthetic as suitable oil for NC700XD (DCT) 2012 -.

Anybody disagrees? and Why?

Matt Kas

Candler, AZ

2016 Honda NC700X DCT

Attachments

• Castrol Part Synthetic.jpg
    Castrol Part Synthetic.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 213
Looks good. It meets all of the specs in the manual.
I have a case of it for my next couple of oil changes on my NC700X. I also have it in my ST1300 right now and no issues.

Got a killer sale on Amazon and ordered it for less than $5 a quart. Right place at the right time.

The 10W-40 viscosity is available at Walmart for about $18 per gallon. Both 10W-30 and 10W-40 are listed in the service manual as being acceptable.

I’m currently using 10W-30 in my NC700X.

JT

Last edited:
Looks good. It meets all of the specs in the manual.
I have a case of it for my next couple of oil changes on my NC700X. I also have it in my ST1300 right now and no issues.

Got a killer sale on Amazon and ordered it for less than $5 a quart. Right place at the right time.

The 10W-40 viscosity is available at Walmart for about $18 per gallon. Both 10W-30 and 10W-40 are listed in the service manual as being acceptable.

I’m currently using 10W-30 in my NC700X.

JT

Thanks for the Amazon tip on this. I checked tonight and there is currently a 25% coupon on the 6 quart carton of 10w-30, bringing the free shipping per quart price down to $4.87 before tax, if applicable. That’s generally cheaper than Honda GN4.

I love it when the product is advertised as part synthetic or semi synthetic. It could be only 2% synthetic, for all we know. The bottle never seems to state the percentage of synthetic base. It’s just marketing nonsense.

I can get Valvoline MC oil locally for $3.80/quart but it doesn’t come in 10w-30, just 10w-40 or 10w-50. Some of my machines call for 10w-30 only.

The Castrol oil is a reasonable deal.

The DCT and the manual transmission NC700X have the same oil recommendations.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Amazon tip on this. I checked tonight and there is currently a 25% coupon on the 6 quart carton of 10w-30, bringing the free shipping per quart price down to $4.87 before tax, if applicable. That’s generally cheaper than Honda GN4.

I love it when the product is advertised as part synthetic or semi synthetic. It could be only 2% synthetic, for all we know. The bottle never seems to state the percentage of synthetic base. It’s just marketing nonsense.

I can get Valvoline MC oil locally for $3.80/quart but it doesn’t come in 10w-30, just 10w-40 or 10w-50. Some of my machines call for 10w-30 only.

The Castrol oil is a reasonable deal.

The DCT and the manual transmission NC700X have the same oil recommendations.

I have a lot of things on my Amazon wishlist so I can see the prices at a glance. I didn’t really need oil at the time, but that 25% coupon popped up so I jumped. Oil
does not spoil like milk so it will be fine in the garage until I need it.
I’ve bought a lot of things I don’t need right away by waiting for the price to drop.
I recently got an Airhawk seat cushion for 30% off, too.

JT

I am using the 10W40 version of this oil in Arizona (for my 2016 DCT). Bike now feels like shifting gears smoother than before.

I have a lot of things on my Amazon wishlist so I can see the prices at a glance. I didn’t really need oil at the time, but that 25% coupon popped up so I jumped. Oil
does not spoil like milk so it will be fine in the garage until I need it.
I’ve bought a lot of things I don’t need right away by waiting for the price to drop.
I recently got an Airhawk seat cushion for 30% off, too.

JT

I use the website camelcamelcamel.com to track prices and email me once an item hits my price point. It also graphs the item's price history so you can see the fluctuation. I believe the site gets a 'bump' if you click through it to buy.

A question was asked about a specific brand/type/weight of oil and it was answered. Mark this down, folks. It may never happen this cleanly again!

JT

I'm on my 2nd DCT and am kind of a stickler on staying w/only the oil in the owners manual.
The DCT is much more complex than the X model. Me AND the oil are more at ease keeping the bike COMPLETELY stock.

Back