• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT failure

And that’s why I prefer manuals. Auto transmissions are just time bombs waiting to go off.
There are an awful lot of car transmissions ready to explode too then. I liked manuals when I was drag racing, but you couldn't give me a car with a stick in it now, and I am sure I will like the new "auto trans" NC if it ever arrives at the dealer.

And that’s why I prefer manuals. Auto transmissions are just time bombs waiting to go off.
Both manual and DCT bikes have ECUs. As far as reported here this is the only reference to having to replace a ECU for a DCT fault. Far more ECUs are replaced on bikes with manual transmissions. Owners of other Honda motorcycles report of having to replace ECUs because they throw a faulty knock sensor code. Look up GL1800 and ST1300 DTC 25 & 26. The only fix is to replace the ECU.

I did have one problem with an automatic transmission in 52 years and it was eventually covered under Honda warranty though outside of the official warranty period. (1999 Honda Odyssey) All the other transmission issues I've had with cars and motorcycles were with manuals. Clutch cables breaking, hydraulic clutch components leaking, throw out bearings wearing, worn or glazed friction plates, worn sychronizers, worn transmission mainshaft bearings, worn transmission output shaft bearings.

The first link there talks about the 2009-2014 recall, but whatever.

Look, I'm not trying to be argumentative but dual clutch transmissions make up 53% of Hondas sales of models that have both manual and DCT trans. Goldwings, Africa Twins, Rebel 1100s, Nc 750s. They have been in production for over a decade and have actually proven to be very reliable. I'm in North Carolina right now riding with a guy on a DCT Wing. He loves it. Last night I asked him if the complexity of the DCT caused him any concerns. He said it did not " it's a Honda".

The $ 80,000 C8 Corvette has a DCT transmission, Ford Mustang Shelby GT5000, Audi S3, Porche 911 Carrera, Mercedes AMG45

Manual trans and manual clutches have bedn around for a long time and have certainly had their share of issues as well. Like everything in life, there are no guarantees. Mechanical things can break, and for every one that does, there are 99 that doesn't. Luck of the draw.

Both manual and DCT bikes have ECUs. As far as reported here this is the only reference to having to replace a ECU for a DCT fault. Far more ECUs are replaced on bikes with manual transmissions. Owners of other Honda motorcycles report of having to replace ECUs because they throw a faulty knock sensor code. Look up GL1800 and ST1300 DTC 25 & 26. The only fix is to replace the ECU.

I did have one problem with an automatic transmission in 52 years and it was eventually covered under Honda warranty though outside of the official warranty period. (1999 Honda Odyssey) All the other transmission issues I've had with cars and motorcycles were with manuals. Clutch cables breaking, hydraulic clutch components leaking, throw out bearings wearing, worn or glazed friction plates, worn sychronizers, worn transmission mainshaft bearings, worn transmission output shaft bearings.
Keeping within the scope of the Honda NC series DCT vs manual, I recall only a few manual transmission failures, and besides a broken clutch lever of shifter pedal, they were self induced accelerated clutch plate wear. I did it myself, and I knew I was doing it, but it was necessary to extract myself from a situation on a muddy remote forest road. Still, there were hundreds more miles and ample time to replace the clutch plates later. Meanwhile there are many more posts on the forum describing a variety of Honda NC DCT problems, some of which abruptly leave the bike in an inoperable state. The DCT faults are made worse by some dealers’ inability to properly diagnose the problems.

Honda’s DCT is a desireable and useful feature for some owners, but it clearly adds a layer of complexity and potential failure points to the motorcycle over the manual transmission. Not all automatics are as complicated. An automatic Honda CVT would have been simpler in design than a manual transmission, with fewer parts and perhaps no electronic controls.

Although I currently own two automatic transmissions known for above average failure rate, I’ve not had an automatic transmission failure on a car or truck in over 1 million miles of driving, but I don’t use that as a primary factor in my choice of manual vs DCT NC motorcycle. If I have 2 motorcycle transmission options and one is simpler and perceived by me to be more reliable or easily repairable, I’ll go with that one, but of course, other buyers can make that choice for themselves.

My reply was a response to a particular statement quoted in my reply.
To me, your statement is confusing and ambiguous, and I’ve lost the ability to follow the conversation. Carry on; I’m out.

Over 3 months ago, the OP lost interest in continuing the discussion on his problem, which was relatively easy to correct.
But somehow the discussion here is taken up by bored grumpy old men, completely off topic... with almost no practical knowledge... with the exception of Google University.
It would probably be more useful to discuss which is nicer: Easter or Christmas?

Over 3 months ago, the OP lost interest in continuing the discussion on his problem, which was relatively easy to correct.
But somehow the discussion here is taken up by bored grumpy old men, completely off topic... with almost no practical knowledge... with the exception of Google University.
It would probably be more useful to discuss which is nicer: Easter or Christmas?
Agreed. The conversation has run it’s course, but still might be more useful than discussing religious holidays on a motorcycle forum.

Last edited:
Both sticks and automatics have little problems nowadays so there is little point in arguing about which is best. If you like automatics, get one but don't let reliability influence your decision.

Interesting post and a credit to auto trans. Like I said earlier; don't let the words "auto trans" scare you into not buying one, they have proven to be a real asset over the years, and this is why you can't even buy most vehicles with a "stick" anymore. Many bike people like the idea of constantly shifting and I get that, but most NC's do have DCT.

Interesting post and a credit to auto trans. Like I said earlier; don't let the words "auto trans" scare you into not buying one, they have proven to be a real asset over the years, and this is why you can't even buy most vehicles with a "stick" anymore. Many bike people like the idea of constantly shifting and I get that, but most NC's do have DCT.
What is the source of your data? I recall in the early days DCT was not selling as well as manual, possibly because of the high upcharge for the option, and maybe some buyer apprehension. I seem to remember lately reading that the DCT sales are higher than manual. I can’t cite a specific source What data do you have now for current sales, or are you lumping all sales from 2012 to 2022 in your statement?

It would probably be more useful to discuss which is nicer: Easter or Christmas.
I’m very upset that you say this discussion “is taken up by bored grumpy old men.” I’m mature, can still put my pants on without assistance and am the life and soul of any over 80s party with young folk.

What is the source of your data? I recall in the early days DCT was not selling as well as manual, possibly because of the high upcharge for the option, and maybe some buyer apprehension. I seem to remember lately reading that the DCT sales are higher than manual. I can’t cite a specific source What data do you have now for current sales, or are you lumping all sales from 2012 to 2022 in your statement?
It probably took a while to catch on but everywhere I read, they have been selling more dct's in general. Even if it was 50-50 the fact that people are paying more for that feature shows that they are an attractive option. Again, some like constantly shifting around town but most probably don't. I actually sold my beloved, mint, low mile Z900RS Kawi just because I discovered the NC with DCT. I haven't ridden since before they came out with them and admit I should have looked around more before buying the Kawi.

It probably took a while to catch on but everywhere I read, they have been selling more dct's in general. Even if it was 50-50 the fact that people are paying more for that feature shows that they are an attractive option. Again, some like constantly shifting around town but most probably don't. I actually sold my beloved, mint, low mile Z900RS Kawi just because I discovered the NC with DCT. I haven't ridden since before they came out with them and admit I should have looked around more before buying the Kawi.
Someone shopping for a mid sized motorcycle with a manual transmission has many, many options. Someone shopping for a mid sized motorcycle with an automatic transmission has pretty much one choice - something with an NC700 or 750 engine. so it stands to reason that Honda NC automatics are selling since Honda has pretty much cornered the market on a mid sized automatic.

Someone shopping for a mid sized motorcycle with a manual transmission has many, many options. Someone shopping for a mid sized motorcycle with an automatic transmission has pretty much one choice - something with an NC700 or 750 engine. so it stands to reason that Honda NC automatics are selling since Honda has pretty much cornered the market on a mid sized automatic.
Luckily there was a lot more I liked about the new NC than the auto trans which is why I am still waiting for it to come in. The Rebel is all black and too small, the Wing is a cruiser, the Africa one looks like a big dirt bike, etc. etc.
I would buy a new NC if the dct was never invented, I like everything about it. The Kawi turned out to me too much for me at my age.

Last edited:
I didn't lose interest continuing the discussion of my incident with the DCT. My subsequent post made clear the bike, the next day, was running as it should. If the issue had raised it's ugly head again, I would have shared it here. 3,000 more miles on ODO since the DCT hiccup with no problems.

...My subsequent post made clear the bike, the next day, was running as it should. ...
Sorry. Somehow I thought the problem was not fixed. Wasn't the engine idle RPM too high?
But it doesn't matter now. It is important that you are satisfied.
Thanks.

Back