• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT failure

Geowar

Reaction score
Visit site
Stopped at a stop light. released the brake, bike still in gear. Apply the brake again, still in gear. Have to brake to stop the bike from entering the intersection. I Put the bike in neutral, and it failed to go back into gear. 2018 NC750 DCT, not even 2000 miles on the ODO! I'm getting rid of the damn thing.

Stopped at a stop light. released the brake, bike still in gear. Apply the brake again, still in gear. Have to brake to stop the bike from entering the intersection. I Put the bike in neutral, and it failed to go back into gear. 2018 NC750 DCT, not even 2000 miles on the ODO! I'm getting rid of the damn thing.
You don’t seem to be asking for help, rather just describing your experience.

To get “rid of the damn thing”, you can list it in the For Sale section here: https://nc700-forum.com/forums/bikes-parts-for-sale.33/. Late model DCTs seem to be in demand. Good luck with the sale; I’m sure someone would quickly take it off your hands.

Pretty difficult selling a bike that can't be put in gear or ridden.
Before selling it, check your battery terminals for tightness and load test the battery.
You might be surprised at the outcome.

On my 3rd DCT and have never had an issue like that. I have never put the bike in neutral while sitting at a light. But, have certainly put it in neutral and back in gear many times with no issue. As others have suggested, do a DCT reset. Good luck whatever you decide.

As a former mechanic, even the space shuttle had problems. It's not a "dam thing" it just had a rare problem. All it takes is one little human error on an assembly line to cause a problem.

Did it correct itself? This is my fourth DCT, about 50-60K miles, and not one DCT issue. However, the DCT is sensitive to voltage irregularities. I did think I had a DCT problem once but it was actually my battery, but nothing dangerous like you experienced. If you are truly going to sell it, I know two people looking who would probably buy it from you. Let me know.

I know one person shopping for a NC DCT as well.
Post DCT Hiccup. Pushed my bike out of the intersection. Pushed it half way home. Said F- this. Parked it. Following morning, return, start the bike, same issue. Push some more. Start the bike again. pressing the drive/neautral button countless times, it finally goes into gear. Ride home helmetless, not turning off the bike to fetch my helmet stored in frunk. Make it home without incident. Reset dct per youtube video. Test drive last two days without incident. Be advised, when waiting for the light to change prior to incident, the bike was stopped at light running 2100 rpm. For some reason the bike didn't idle at the red light like normal. Can't recall the rpm's the next day when it finally went into gear. Lesson learned, will not shift to neutral at intersection when the bike wants to crawl forward at idle. But it wasn't idling. 2100 rpm's is not a first gear idle.

Post DCT Hiccup. Pushed my bike out of the intersection. Pushed it half way home. Said F- this. Parked it. Following morning, return, start the bike, same issue. Push some more. Start the bike again. pressing the drive/neautral button countless times, it finally goes into gear. Ride home helmetless, not turning off the bike to fetch my helmet stored in frunk. Make it home without incident. Reset dct per youtube video. Test drive last two days without incident. Be advised, when waiting for the light to change prior to incident, the bike was stopped at light running 2100 rpm. For some reason the bike didn't idle at the red light like normal. Can't recall the rpm's the next day when it finally went into gear. Lesson learned, will not shift to neutral at intersection when the bike wants to crawl forward at idle. But it wasn't idling. 2100 rpm's is not a first gear idle.
There was at least one incident with a DCT Goldwing where the owner installed aftermarket hand grips that caused an abnormal idle speed speed which prevented it from going into gear without numerous attempts. No way will the DCT allow shifting into gear with the idle at 2100 rpm. The clutch is fully engaged by about 1400 rpm... no wonder it required braking to prevent it from riding into the intersection. There is no idle adjustment with this bike. Are the throttle cables adjusted properly or risers added that cause the cables to have inadequate slack?

There was at least one incident with a DCT Goldwing where the owner installed aftermarket hand grips that caused an abnormal idle speed speed which prevented it from going into gear without numerous attempts. No way will the DCT allow shifting into gear with the idle at 2100 rpm. The clutch is fully engaged by about 1400 rpm... no wonder it required braking to prevent it from riding into the intersection. There is no idle adjustment with this bike. Are the throttle cables adjusted properly or risers added that cause the cables to have inadequate slack?
No. The bike is completely stock. The cables haven't been touched since leaving the honda factory.

I’ve just had a problem my DCT would only select N and 1st and back again. Turned out to be the ECU £2100 at Honda dealer ouch!

The problem is likely the 2000 rpm, not the dct. By design, they won't into gear at high rpm. I don't know that the threshold is. Get the bike to idle normally, and I suspect your problem will go away.

And that’s why I prefer manuals. Auto transmissions are just time bombs waiting to go off.

Google GSXR transmission failures and you will have plenty to read. There was even a recall on 2009 -2014 models.

My 2018 FJR had a second gear recall on all 2016-2020 models. Motor out second gear replaced. I owned it two years. Didnt feel right when I got it back, traded it in on the NC 750 DCT, which has been great for 14 month and 18,000 miles so far.

Time bombs? Ya buy your bikes ( all brands and models) ya takes your chances.

Google GSXR transmission failures and you will have plenty to read. There was even a recall on 2009 -2014 models.

My 2018 FJR had a second gear recall on all 2016-2020 models. Motor out second gear replaced. I owned it two years. Didnt feel right when I got it back, traded it in on the NC 750 DCT, which has been great for 14 month and 18,000 miles so far.

Time bombs? Ya buy your bikes ( all brands and models) ya takes your chances.
I spoke of auto transmissions being time bombs compared to manual clutches which they are. A regular clutch gives plenty of warning when it’s starting to go, an auto transmission not so much.

I goggled gsxr transmission problems and got the below. Not sure where you get your info from.

5BFD1AD6-9CB2-44EE-936E-4603C2852766.png

Back