• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT In Review

Short Time

Reaction score
Visit site
Turned 1500 miles this weekend and thought I'd toss out a few thoughts on my decision to go DCT on my latest motorcycle acquisition. Been riding for the better part of five decades and never thought I would go the automatic route. But the technology really intrigued me and the more I studied up on it the more I thought I might like to experience it - at least once. Heck, I could always flip it and go back to a manual if it didn't live up to expectations. My reservations concerned low speed maneuvering and general flexibility of the ride modes.

Spoiler alert: you couldn't get me to switch back to a manual shift for love nor money. This thing just knocks me out. I do NOT miss the shifting - not even a little bit.

And while this thing does everything smoothly, efficiently, and without drama, it provides plenty of challenge and keeps my mind in the game as I learn to finesse and make the most of what the different driving modes can do. Low speed maneuvers? Pfft, a non-issue. Flexibility? Loads of it. And if moving within the auto modes doesn't scratch whatever itch I'm trying to scratch at the moment, like racing some idiot who's trying to cut me off at a lane merger in heavy traffic, just a twitch of a finger and the manual mode will launch me right out in front every time. I can putter around all I want to or get as aggressive as I want - in the blink of an eye. Even though I watched the video of how this thing holds the rpm as it shifts compared to a traditional shift bike, you have to experience it to really believe it. At each shift there just isn't ANY lag in acceleration. It just goes faster with each imperceptible click. And if I'm feeling mean in manual mode I just roll that throttle and keep pulling the trigger. And it responds right up to as fast as I feel comfortable going! And takes me there as quickly as I want.

Honestly, there is more challenge playing with the "automatic" than there is using a traditional shift. I try something different and learn a little more about the capabilities of this bike each time I ride it.

Among the less obvious benefits to the DCT are that I can easily "cover" the horn button without having to worry about breaking my grip to grab the clutch in a panic situation. I can also wear whatever footwear I like - from my ankle length riding boots to my calf-high winter boots without having to consider whether or not the toe will fit under a shift lever or the ankle has enough flex in it.

I'm very pleased with the performance of this bike and delighted to be on the latest greatest technology in the wonderful world of motorcycling. Knowing how I tried to read everything I could possibly find when I was contemplating my purchase, I hope this helps the next guy or gal out there who might be doing the same.

Last edited:
When I tell people (bikers and non-bikers) my bike is an automatic, they all say its a "scooter". I should get a "REAL bike". I just smile and tell em' It is a "REAL bike", its got the same gears as any other, I just don't have to hold down a clutch at stop lights. Riders, usually balk and then get this weird look in their faces... "like, for real... you don't have to hold a clutch?" Then the real discussions begin. Non-riders, I have to explain that I don't use my left foot to shift gears. That blows their minds, especially when I tell them that most people fail the motorcycle class/drivers test because they can't get shifting down properly.

I think that if more companies would introduce bikes with DCT, bike sales might go up due to the a lessening of the learning curve.

There is one other thing with the DCT most forget about when talking and discussing, especially in low speeds, or tricky cornering.

IT WILL NOT STALL!

Let me repeat that.

It will not stall.

Just making some observations here: Folks seem to praise the reduction in motorcycle controls. We've pretty much done away with the fuel petcock and the manual choke. The need to insert and turn a key is going away. DCT takes away the clutch.

I have to wonder if the next step in controls reduction is a single brake control, as automobiles have. The rider will need only concern themselves with a throttle, a single brake lever, and steering. Riders of the single brake lever motorcycle could tout the safety advantage of having ones feet always available to support the motorcycle. Laws will probably need to change before manufacturers can simplify to a single brake lever.

I'm not stating any opinion on the values or my preference for DCT or manual, just observing the trend.

Last edited:
Just making some observations here: Folks seem to praise the reduction in motorcycle controls. We've pretty much done away with the fuel petcock and the manual choke. The need to insert and turn a key is going away. DCT takes away the clutch.

I have to wonder if the next step in controls reduction is a single brake control, as automobiles have. The rider will need only concern themselves with a throttle, a single brake lever, and steering.

It's called 'scooter'.. :)

Couldn't agree more with Short Times post.
Only reached for the clutch once. I've had over 20 bikes and this
bike is hands down the most fun. If the Goldwing survives, I think it will
be a dct as well.

It's called 'scooter'.. :)

I guess you could call it whatever you want, but scooters are typically classified by their step through or partial step through frame, a platform for the rider's feet, and commonly but not always, an engine that is integral to the swingarm.

There was a lot of scorn heaped upon the NC700X DCT when the bike was introduced 5 years ago.

"If you can't handle a motorcycle you can always ride one of these until you get a real bike"

"Too bad you can't or don't know how handle a clutch"

"Nice beginner bike, or OK for a girl"

"Overgrown scooter"

"I prefer being as one with the bike and this requires clutch and shift control by me"

"Now anyone can ride a motorcycle, what is the world coming to?"

Time and experience have muted much of this malarky as DCT has proven itself and is becoming more popular. The latest generation DCT in the Africa Twin has gotten lots of positive reviews and moves DCT into wider acceptance and as the AT is viewed as a more relevant or desirable motorcycle and it is on more rider's radar screens than the NC is.

From the beginning I think Honda made a very smart choice by offering a choice between manual transmissions and DCTs on the same motorcycles. Choice is good and allows the those that like one or the other to get what they want. I don't think DCT is for everyone but the only person I have to satisfy is me and I like it and agree strongly with Short Time. On the NC the DCT gets the most out of the power characteristics and I think is a better match to the somewhat quirky engine. I've had both transmissions on the NC. FWIW I put a deposit on a manual NC and waited several months to get it based on the British and European reviews of the bike. I am a older rider with 45 years experience and what I saw in the NC was what I was looking for.

I too am in deep DEEP LOVE with my DCT! I wish my CRF250L was DCT. If they offer that as an option in it in the future in a smaller bike (dual sport), I will sell my CRF and get it. Have actually even looked into a Zero just cause its "automatic" but not enough range vs price to justify getting it.

Anyway, I too have heard all the belittling remarks of my DCT. Oh its a scooter, not a real bike, beginner bike, girl bike blah blah blah BUT I have realized its just people insecure of their own man hoods. I have never been one to care what others say so off I go in my "beginners girl scooter not real bike" and take her into off road places she probably has no business being in and those belittling people would not dare enter...and ALL WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE!!!! =-)

I purchased a used 2013 DCT about 3 months ago. When I went to test ride her, I had already made up my mind that I wasn't going to like it... for all the reasons already mentioned: It is not a real bike, It is only for beginners, It is slow, yada yada yada. Anyway, only took me about 10 minutes into the test ride and I knew I had found the bike for me. I commute 10-15 miles per day through city and freeway traffic, and I certainly don't miss the clutch.

I also find the frunk to be very functional, not sure how I would live without it now. With a top case, I have so much space for running errands. The DCT has spoiled me, there is no going back to a conventional bike.

DCT was the main reason I've got motorcycle. If there were Integras on sale in U.S. I'm sure I would prefer it over NCXD. Now I have CTX DCT which is basically the same as NC but lower. In combination with left hand rear brake it's almost as good for commuting as scooter.
But observing trends in this type of motorcycling for last 5 years I don't think that DCT will survive as a choice for motorcycle automatic transmission. Firstly, no competition which would drive improvements in this technology. We cannot assume that other manufacturers don't know how to design and make DCT. They just choose not to.
Besides, DCT can be used only in combination with internal combustion engine. And for how long this is going to be - next 15 years?
Germany's Bundesrat just gave a notice to manufacturers - no more diesel and gasoline-powered vehicles after 2030:
(from Forbes mag.) "Diesel and gasoline-powered vehicles officially are an endangered species in Germany, and possibly all of the EU. This after Germany’s Bundesrat has passed a resolution to ban the internal combustion engine starting in 2030. Higher taxes may hasten the ICE’s departure.
An across-the-aisle Bundesrat resolution calls on the EU Commission in Brussels to pass directives assuring that “latest in 2030, only zero-emission passenger vehicles will be approved” for use on EU roads. Germany’s Bundesrat is a legislative body representing the sixteen states of Germany. On its own, the resolution has no legislative effect. EU type approval is regulated on the EU level. However, German regulations traditionally have shaped EU and UNECE regulations.
EU automakers will be alarmed that the resolution, as quoted by der Spiegel, calls on the EU Commission to “review the current practices of taxation and dues with regard to a stimulation of emission-free mobility.”

DCT was the main reason I've got motorcycle. If there were Integras on sale in U.S. I'm sure I would prefer it over NCXD. Now I have CTX DCT which is basically the same as NC but lower. In combination with left hand rear brake it's almost as good for commuting as scooter.
But observing trends in this type of motorcycling for last 5 years I don't think that DCT will survive as a choice for motorcycle automatic transmission. Firstly, no competition which would drive improvements in this technology. We cannot assume that other manufacturers don't know how to design and make DCT. They just choose not to.
Besides, DCT can be used only in combination with internal combustion engine. And for how long this is going to be - next 15 years?
Germany's Bundesrat just gave a notice to manufacturers - no more diesel and gasoline-powered vehicles after 2030:
(from Forbes mag.) "Diesel and gasoline-powered vehicles officially are an endangered species in Germany, and possibly all of the EU. This after Germany’s Bundesrat has passed a resolution to ban the internal combustion engine starting in 2030. Higher taxes may hasten the ICE’s departure.
An across-the-aisle Bundesrat resolution calls on the EU Commission in Brussels to pass directives assuring that “latest in 2030, only zero-emission passenger vehicles will be approved” for use on EU roads. Germany’s Bundesrat is a legislative body representing the sixteen states of Germany. On its own, the resolution has no legislative effect. EU type approval is regulated on the EU level. However, German regulations traditionally have shaped EU and UNECE regulations.
EU automakers will be alarmed that the resolution, as quoted by der Spiegel, calls on the EU Commission to “review the current practices of taxation and dues with regard to a stimulation of emission-free mobility.”

i think most manufacturer are looking to make electric bikes. dont need to develop a DCT for it.

I also wish they made a little 250 or something with dct. The little Honda dirt bikes use a shifter but no clutch.

As far as brakes, that is coming. I think one of the Can Am trike models has a single foot pedal that operates the brakes on all three wheels.

Separate brake control is essential for off-pavement riding. I'm also not seeing DCT for smaller-displacement dirt bikes or dualsports. Added expense, maybe weight too -- and for true dirt bikes you already have Rekluse.

I also wish they made a little 250 or something with dct. The little Honda dirt bikes use a shifter but no clutch.

Cost is probably the holdback on making the small bikes with a DCT. A decent profit per unit sold on a 250 may not be there with the added complexity of a DCT. Honda already figured out they couldn't sell many ABS/DCTs in the USA in 2012 when the price premium was $2000. The upcharge now is only $600.

As far as brakes, that is coming. I think one of the Can Am trike models has a single foot pedal that operates the brakes on all three wheels.
Honda has had linked or combined brake systems for many years on Goldwings, VFRs, and the ST1300. IIRC the 2012-13 NC DCT model had a linked system The various systems Honda has developed retain separate front and rear levers but in some way combine braking action to get as much as 70% of braking with just one lever. The ST1300s system is transparent in use and works very well though the system is somewhat complex to maintain.

I am a relatively new rider (got licensed in 2014) but only rode DCT
until this day. Because I chose the DCT over the manual, just like I
choose to drive an automatic car over stick shift. Now and then,
I do like driving a manual car, but that itch goes away quickly.
Can't get enough of riding my DCT Africa Twin everywhere I want.

My assertion is that if Honda or BMW or even HD comes out with something that
is better than whatever we are currently riding, most people would have no trouble picking it up.

But for a DCTFAN, sadly, none exist and we are stuck with the DCT for a while; not that I am complaining.

Like DCTFAN I'm new (licensed last September) and now have about 10,400 miles on the bike. I'm also not a youngster - I was alive when Kennedy was assassinated.

I was much more concerned about learning to ride well than looking cool. I'd say the DCT has allowed me to be a much better rider much faster. My brother, who has ridden almost 40 years and ridden in many countries, tells me I'm riding like someone with several years of experience. In the last year I've been able to focus on hitting the apex, entry speed, traffic, etc. rather than clutch and left foot.

Over the last couple months I've found myself riding much more in manual mode to self select gears unless I'm just cruising down the road.

I do hope there are more choices in the coming year or two to allow an upgrade to a somewhat bigger bike and keep DCT (an r1200rt with DCT would be great).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back